Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Islam and Astronomy
Islam and Astronomy
Muslims always says that Islam is the source of all knowledge and technology as we know it today that without Islam we couldn't know simple scientific facts about this world and our life, yet if Quran was the source of all this knowledge why we found these scientific errors which I will categorize in Astronomy for now:

1- Geocentricism: The Qur'an mentions numerous times that the sun and the moon travel in an orbit, but does not mention once that the earth does too. This is consistent with a earth-centered (geocentric) view of the cosmos that places a motionless earth at the center of the universe and all "heavenly bodies" travel around the earth.

2- Moon is Further from the Earth than the Stars: The Qur'an claims that the moon is located in the middle of the universe and stars are in the nearest/lowest part of the universe. The nearest star to our solar system is 4.24 light years (4x1013km) away and over 100 million times further away then the moon.

3- Moon Emits Light: The moon does not emit its own light but simply reflects light coming from the Sun.

4- Earth Created in Six Days: The earth first formed around 9 billion years after the Big Bang.

5- The Cause of Shadows: Shadows are produced when the sun's light is blocked by an obstacle. It is the Earth's rotation that causes these shadows to change size and location. However, by calling the sun the guide of shadows, the quran claims shadows are caused due to the sun's movement.

these are selected five pieces, and there many many more that even a third grade student will question their credibility.

Don't you see that Allah merges night into day and he merges day into night and he has subjected the sun, and the moon each running its course for a term appointed. And Allah is aware of what you do. Qur'an 31:29

[Image: 300px-Geocentrism.jpg]
I don’t know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if He didn't.

I want to soar higher than any man has ever soared! I want to look down on the clouds with contempt! I want to sneer at God's creation, and spit on his ... (Homer Simpson)
RE: Islam and Astronomy
Very good points.

There are many various problems with the dogma of Islam. The orbiting patterns of the solar system being some of the least depressing.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
(February 22, 2014 at 7:13 am)Mr. Moncrieff Wrote: Very good points.

There are many various problems with the dogma of Islam. The orbiting patterns of the solar system being some of the least depressing.

true, but what bothers me is them saying that QURAN is the source of all knowledge and Science.

in 2007 a Muslim scholar went on live TV to argue that the Sun Orbits the earth and the sun is twice the size of the moon, WTF and yet many dumb asses supported his claims even with modern day technology and telescopes, live footage from the ISS and more.
I don’t know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if He didn't.

I want to soar higher than any man has ever soared! I want to look down on the clouds with contempt! I want to sneer at God's creation, and spit on his ... (Homer Simpson)
(February 22, 2014 at 7:18 am)GOD.IS.NOT.GREAT Wrote:

true, but what bothers me is them saying that QURAN is the source of all knowledge and Science.

in 2007 a Muslim scholar went on live TV to argue that the Sun Orbits the earth and the sun is twice the size of the moon, WTF and yet many dumb asses supported his claims even with modern day technology and telescopes, live footage from the ISS and more.
As, but they are all Satan's poisonous manifestations meant to blind you from the unquestionable truths.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
(February 22, 2014 at 7:09 am)GOD.IS.NOT.GREAT Wrote: Don't you see that Allah merges night into day and he merges day into night and he has subjected the sun, and the moon each running its course for a term appointed. And Allah is aware of what you do. Qur'an 31:29

That made me spit up a little coffee!

"This is how the solar system works. Oh, and god sees you masturbating. Stop it."
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 22, 2014 at 10:41 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Oh, and god sees you masturbating. Stop it."

I wander if he ever gets a boner from watching all those people masturbating Tongue
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
And here I was to understand that the Persians nurtured astronomy and name many of the stars.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 22, 2014 at 7:18 am)GOD.IS.NOT.GREAT Wrote:

Don't forget that about 25% of modern day Americans don't know that the Earth revolves around the Sun. And these are your neighbors, co-workers, and people you pass on the street everyday. The bottom line is that a lot of humanity is just basically dumber than a box of rocks.

http://news.discovery.com/space/astronom...140214.htm
(February 22, 2014 at 2:28 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: And here I was to understand that the Persians nurtured astronomy and name many of the stars.

They did - many centuries ago. Lately, not so much.
(February 23, 2014 at 12:40 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(February 22, 2014 at 2:28 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: And here I was to understand that the Persians nurtured astronomy and name many of the stars.

They did - many centuries ago. Lately, not so much.

Long before iSlam dominated the region?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Quranic Reflection]: Anthropomorphism and God in Islam WinterHold 15 1540 June 16, 2021 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7787 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  To clear up that Islam is not pedophilia and chrisitanity is according to a guy here Smain 6 960 June 26, 2018 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Islam; my faith; and other faiths WinterHold 77 11226 April 30, 2017 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Islam and Women Lebneni Murtad 48 7987 March 6, 2017 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Question about Near Death Experiences and Islam? arda101 11 4051 January 23, 2017 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Islam is hostile, but there is also lots of bias from muslims and bigotry aswell Rolandson 7 2417 January 22, 2017 at 11:44 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Charlie Hebdo journalist sees a problem with Islam and Mohammed mralstoner 5 1339 October 22, 2016 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  The West's Response to Islam and violence...... Brian37 16 3137 May 18, 2016 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: dom.donald
  Islam and its History and Impact of Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) yukapuka 161 18650 January 12, 2016 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon