Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why not abolish marriage certificates for everyone?
Why not abolish marriage certificates for everyone?
I'm wondering how many people who support gay marriage would be in favor of removing the government from the role of marriage altogether? While I can understand homosexuals outrage at being excluded from the benefits of government sanctioned marriage, I don't understand why those benefits exist at all. Most societies that have promoted marriage did so in order to boost their populations (married couples have more children) Why give any benefits to married people over those of us who choose not to commit to a single person or have children. Isn't the world crowded enough? Does a government contract really make your love any more valid?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Why not abolish marriage certificates for everyone?
Monetary benefits for married people should definitely be outlawed. It's ridiculously unfair to reward people for getting married / having children when there are people who are perfectly happy being single and childless who may deserve that money more (and I say this as an engaged man who wants children).

That said, other benefits are worth having, such as the right to be your partner's next of kin, the right to handle their affairs if they are ill, etc. There are too many horror stories of married gay people who live in states which do not support gay marriage being denied access to their partners whilst they lie dying or critically injured in hospital.
One thing I find humorously striking about Libertarians is their reductionist ideas.

You don't hear "let's minimize the differences between X and Y so we may consider removing something"

Instead you get grand standing statements like "Remove X" or "Abolish Y"

In the end run, it feels like you have a solution looking for a problem.

And the complex tax code seems a more pressing issue than the legal institution of marriage (which has substantial rules devoted to joining and splitting of shared property and resources).
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
I'm conflicted. On one hand, single people, in general, have less overall financial stability than a typical married couple and probably do need it more. On the other, in my personal experience, I most often see this idea proposed by homophobes as an expression of their willingness to cut off their noses to spite the gays.
If I was single with no kids I would have a lot more financial stability.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(February 28, 2014 at 10:19 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Monetary benefits for married people should definitely be outlawed. It's ridiculously unfair to reward people for getting married / having children when there are people who are perfectly happy being single and childless who may deserve that money more (and I say this as an engaged man who wants children).

That said, other benefits are worth having, such as the right to be your partner's next of kin, the right to handle their affairs if they are ill, etc. There are too many horror stories of married gay people who live in states which do not support gay marriage being denied access to their partners whilst they lie dying or critically injured in hospital.

I'm not married and I wouldn't want my next of life decisions being made by my immediate family. I'd much rather have my best friend make those decision. I think you can (or should be able to) give power of attorney to whomever you want.

(February 28, 2014 at 10:34 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: One thing I find humorously striking about Libertarians is their reductionist ideas.

You don't hear "let's minimize the differences between X and Y so we may consider removing something"

Instead you get grand standing statements like "Remove X" or "Abolish Y"

In the end run, it feels like you have a solution looking for a problem.

And the complex tax code seems a more pressing issue than the legal institution of marriage (which has substantial rules devoted to joining and splitting of shared property and resources).

I actually agree that libertarians are too idealistic, applying the same idea to everything regardless of the issue. I think there needs to be room for pragmatism and practicality within every ideology. Even though (or perhaps because) it's not the most popular term around here, I like to call myself a conservative.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(February 28, 2014 at 10:34 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: One thing I find humorously striking about Libertarians is their reductionist ideas.

Isn't that exactly what I did say though?

Get rid of monetary benefits for people "just because" they are married, whilst keeping benefits like being able to act as a next of kin / make important decisions for them. I don't think at any point I called for the complete abolition of all benefits.
The irony is marriage originated as a pagan concept/ritual in ancient civilizations. Religion came along, and as usual, put its fucking stamp of approval on it. When I hear conservative Christians talk about "preserving the sanctity of heterosexual marriage," I roll my eyes.

Christianity didn't "invent" marriage nor any other religion. But that is where the dividing line comes in. And why married couples are treated superior to single people, from a legal/tax perspective.

Frankly, marriage isn't necessary in life. If you love someone, showing that person through your actions every day, should be enough. A piece of paper doesn't make you anymore legit than if you didn't have it.
(February 28, 2014 at 10:19 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Monetary benefits for married people should definitely be outlawed. It's ridiculously unfair to reward people for getting married / having children when there are people who are perfectly happy being single and childless who may deserve that money more (and I say this as an engaged man who wants children).

If tax exemptions are null by the time I have a biological child, I'm going to be soooo pissed. You take it back!
Tiberius, raising a child engenders more risk and a significant drain on resources, even when multiple people pool them.

The societal view is that we give subsidies to families (which are more likely to have planned children) to equalize their risk to be competitive with individuals.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1161 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Transgenderism versus Interracial Marriage. Jehanne 3 530 April 18, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Petition to abolish the Electoral College Foxaèr 44 1791 October 19, 2020 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Russia's Putin wants traditional marriage and God in constitution zebo-the-fat 17 1597 March 4, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Elizabeth Warren On Marriage Equality BrianSoddingBoru4 8 1550 October 15, 2019 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists, do you support same-sex marriage? TristanTeller 72 15762 July 31, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Your views on MARRIAGE Catholic_Lady 213 35070 July 12, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  GOP to unveil bill to stop affirmation of same-sex marriage Foxaèr 10 3222 April 23, 2015 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Supreme Court to decide on marriage equality Ryantology 21 3771 January 17, 2015 at 1:38 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Voter ID laws and Marriage Heywood 33 5894 November 5, 2014 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Heywood