Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 6:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conciousness vs. Soul
Conciousness vs. Soul
Does anyone here have any scientific evidence to demonstrate what we feel and see is just our conciousness and all controlled by our brain? That would seem to oppose the idea that we have a soul that leaves our bodies after death and goes to an afterlife. To put it most bluntly evidence against the soul, other than just lack of evidence.
RE: Conciousness vs. Soul
Do you have any evidence against Russel's Teapot?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
Define afterlife.. define soul.. define define define..
(March 1, 2014 at 2:33 pm)truthBtold Wrote: Define afterlife.. define soul.. define define define..

Soul is that there is an eternal force inside of us, that all we feel is not just controlled by our brain.
Afterlife means that our conciousness still exists after our human body's death.
Where is that eternal force. .

Where does the conscious go
(March 1, 2014 at 2:37 pm)truthBtold Wrote: Where is that eternal force. .

Where does the conscious go

Well I'm asking for evidence that shows that conciousness ends once we die, that it's all in the brain.
(March 1, 2014 at 2:29 pm)JesusLover1 Wrote: Does anyone here have any scientific evidence to demonstrate what we feel and see is just our conciousness and all controlled by our brain? That would seem to oppose the idea that we have a soul that leaves our bodies after death and goes to an afterlife. To put it most bluntly evidence against the soul, other than just lack of evidence.

Do you have any evidence for the soul?

We know that our brain is the home of our mind and consciousness because we have investigated it. People who lose limbs don't have any change in mental function or personality, so we conclude our mind isn't in any of our limbs. People who have had organ transplants do not have any change in mental function or personality, so we conclude that the mind isn't in our organs. But the brain however....We have observed the effects of damage to different parts of the brain and these do affect mental function and personality, therefore we conclude that the mind and consciousness is generated by the brain.
You have absolutely no evidence whatsoever for the soul. You can't demonstrate or test for it, so why believe in it?

(March 1, 2014 at 2:38 pm)JesusLover1 Wrote: Well I'm asking for evidence that shows that conciousness ends once we die, that it's all in the brain.

There isn't any, but our mind is a manifestation of the brain. It follows logically that when the brain dies, your consciousness dies too.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(March 1, 2014 at 2:29 pm)JesusLover1 Wrote: Does anyone here have any scientific evidence to demonstrate what we feel and see is just our conciousness and all controlled by our brain? That would seem to oppose the idea that we have a soul that leaves our bodies after death and goes to an afterlife. To put it most bluntly evidence against the soul, other than just lack of evidence.

(March 1, 2014 at 2:35 pm)JesusLover1 Wrote: Soul is that there is an eternal force inside of us, that all we feel is not just controlled by our brain.
Afterlife means that our conciousness still exists after our human body's death.

If you are making a positive claim, it is not up to anyone to debunk it. It is up to you to prove it. The burden of proof is on you. Just like if I were to say there is an invisible pink unicorn in my closet, it would be ridiculous for me to ask you for proof that it doesn't exist.

So, I put it to you, do you have any empirical evidence that a soul exists?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I can't comprehend that our conciousness can end. What does it feel like to not exist? I-I-I can't comprehend nothingness.
(March 1, 2014 at 2:43 pm)JesusLover1 Wrote: I can't comprehend that our conciousness can end. What does it feel like to not exist? I-I-I can't comprehend nothingness.

Well, what did you feel in the billions of years before you were born?
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1706 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  No soul? No free will and no responsibility then, yet the latter's essential... Duty 33 4172 August 26, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 24965 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If the existence of an enduring soul was proven... Gawdzilla Sama 45 4631 November 26, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The bible teaches that there is no immortal soul and that death is the end MIND BLOWN LetThereBeNoGod 4 1756 February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Could you still be an Atheist and believe in a "Soul"? CristW 73 14398 October 6, 2015 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: Mental Outlaw
  The acts of Virtues derive from a Soul or social obligation? CristW 6 2385 September 11, 2015 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: CristW
  I'd like to buy your soul, interested? hughmanwho 5 1358 July 15, 2014 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Proof of the soul? JesusLover1 50 12698 March 6, 2014 at 11:23 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  What do some atheists think of using the term "Soul" Moira 16 3007 September 25, 2013 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Whateverist