Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Question for Brits...
A Question for Brits...
So I'm watching an old episode of Top Gear, one where they're making fun of Hammond for being "American," saying he drives ridiculous cars, wears cowboy hats, and puts cheese on everything. Is that a thing? The cheese thing? Do we Americans put cheese on too many things? Do Brits (or Europeans) not? What other things do we Americans do that you guys find ridiculous?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: A Question for Brits...
Oh, you know what I've noticed about British television? Tea fixes everything in these shows. In one show I watched, a girl gets raped, so they give her tea, and then everything is fine.
(March 3, 2014 at 8:30 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: Oh, you know what I've noticed about British television? Tea fixes everything in this shows. In one show I watched, a girl gets raped, so they give her tea, and then everything is fine.

THere's a reason I laugh at the Poms.

ROFLOL
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 3, 2014 at 8:27 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: So I'm watching an old episode of Top Gear, one where they're making fun of Hammond for being "American," saying he drives ridiculous cars, wears cowboy hats, and puts cheese on everything. Is that a thing? The cheese thing? Do we Americans put cheese on too many things? Do Brits (or Europeans) not? What other things do we Americans do that you guys find ridiculous?
It's a common belief among the British that Americans put cheese on everything for no reason. I, however, know that the reason for doing it is a very good one: it tastes delicious.

Sticking with cheese for a moment, I find that most British people seem to think that "American cheese" is the nasty orange processed stuff. I doubt many will have heard of or tried White American cheese, which in my opinion is one of the most delicious cheeses around...SO creamy.

Not sure what most Brits think of Peanut Butter and Jelly, but I can't think of a more horrible combination. Separately they are fine...but never together. :S
(March 3, 2014 at 8:27 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: What other things do we Americans do that you guys find ridiculous?

You have massive meals that make you all fat

Your music, your TV, and your movies are all shallow

You're obsessed with money

Religion is a sideshow

/except when it isn't
Can I answer, if I'm not Brit?
Cheese goes on sandwiches and, once in a while on cooked stuff, like lasagna, pizza, hamburgers...
But I find some of the Brit food habits a bit strange too, so there's that... :p
(March 3, 2014 at 8:43 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Sticking with cheese for a moment, I find that most British people seem to think that "American cheese" is the nasty orange processed stuff. I doubt many will have heard of or tried White American cheese, which in my opinion is one of the most delicious cheeses around...SO creamy.
White American cheese is SOOO good.
However...

Quote:Not sure what most Brits think of Peanut Butter and Jelly, but I can't think of a more horrible combination. Separately they are fine...but never together. :S

You don't like PB&J?
KILL THE INFIDEL!!!
[Image: angry_man_with_fist_stockxpertcom_id134973_300x198.jpg]

Tongue
[Image: Evolution.png]

Actually I do have some questions for Brits.
I could very easily look them up on Google, but this is simply more fun (and perhaps more accurate anyway).

Brits only please. Americans shut your filthy yankee pie holes.

1. Do Brits (including Ireland of course) celebrate the US's Thanksgiving?
2. Do Brits dislike Americans (on average)?
3. Do you like having a monarchy?
4. Do you prefer American TV shows over British TV shows (on average)?
5. Do you feel there is any truth that Americans have better teeth than Brits?
6. Do you think American's have a sexy accent or do you think we sound really stupid?
7. What's so great about Doctor Who?
8. How common is the word 'fag' used when referring to a cigarette?
9. Do you wish your country had won the Revolutionary War?
10. Would you be willing to let me stay with you for a week if I visited your country?

(For the record, I think the British accent is far superior to the American accent.)
[Image: Evolution.png]

Great. Now here's a thread from which I'm barred taking part; I'm not a 'Brit', I'm English (and there's no such thing as the British accent anyway, but thanks for the compliment).
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Once in London I heard this young guy say to his buddy, "You bloody wanker, you broke your fag!". I almost busted out laughing.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Say, Can One Of You Brits Translate This For Me Minimalist 18 2611 November 23, 2017 at 12:12 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Brits and Europeans DramaQueen 20 3264 August 18, 2014 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  I have a homosexual question and incest question? KingKong 39 8612 July 6, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Amalynne0
  Why are intelligent brits such snobs Richi1 18 3089 December 28, 2013 at 2:22 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  "Answer the Question with a Question" Game Rayaan 101 17200 August 14, 2012 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Rayaan
  QUESTION FOR YOU BRITS LEDO 20 4678 May 3, 2011 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  PC Advisor: 30% of Brits surf the mobile web while on the loo Kyuuketsuki 20 11644 May 22, 2009 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet