Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Say, Can One Of You Brits Translate This For Me
Say, Can One Of You Brits Translate This For Me
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/...rquharson/

Quote:Malia Obama's Harvard boyfriend revealed to be British student Rory Farquharson who was head boy at Rugby School

I'm hoping that a "head boy" isn't what I think it is!
RE: Say, Can One Of You Brits Translate This For Me
It isn't.  A roughly equivalent term would be 'class president'.  Head boy at Rugby is a pretty big deal, actually.  It means that of all those snobby, upper class piles of pus, he was the most pus-ish.

There's also 'head girl',  a term which caused me many sleepless nights and wrist sprains when I was at school.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't know about Rugby, but going by Oxbridge tradition it could be a flexible position.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(November 22, 2017 at 7:41 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/...rquharson/

Quote:Malia Obama's Harvard boyfriend revealed to be British student Rory Farquharson who was head boy at Rugby School

I'm hoping that a "head boy" isn't what I think it is!

I thought all the freshmen were head boys.
Muchas gracias, todos.
(November 22, 2017 at 9:05 pm)Cyberman Wrote: I don't know about Rugby, but going by Oxbridge tradition it could be a flexible position.

Good point.  Those Oxford and Eton lads are known to bend over backwards to help a fellow out.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Isn't that where the battles of the British empire were won?
One couldn't rise through the gentlemanly ranks without being Eton.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Eaten?
Typical - take an innocent comment and make it sound rude...
Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you can have one superpower... T.J. 26 828 November 7, 2021 at 3:52 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Ok computer techs, what say you? Brian37 82 6097 October 7, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Do you say anything to anti maskers in public? Brian37 37 2086 January 6, 2021 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Environmental charities, what say you? Brian37 11 855 December 21, 2020 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: no one
  Smile when you say that.... onlinebiker 12 1023 April 11, 2020 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  It’s Christmas so say something nice The Valkyrie 16 1697 December 19, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: no one
  Dumb things people say Lemon Curry 17 1463 April 21, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If you see something, say something Foxaèr 24 2101 February 1, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Take It, Or leave it, I can still say Voulez Vous Brian37 7 1043 November 29, 2018 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: adey67
  Say Farewell To An American Icon Minimalist 33 2063 October 16, 2018 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Schwa