Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Michael Moore a hypocrite?
Is Michael Moore a hypocrite?
I have seen many of his films, but one film bothered me, it was on the evils of capitalism. The problem I have with that film is that Michael is worth about 50 million dollars. Does that make him a hypocrite? That 50 million is keeping his fat ass in butter brickle.

manowar
RE: Is Michael Moore a hypocrite?
It depends on what he does with his money. I think you can be well off, and still be against capitalism. You can certainly be against what the companies and politicians are doing in America, and not do those things, while still being well off.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Oh yes. I've watched most of his documentaries, and even though I agree with his views on a lot of things, I think he is way too biased and too close to propaganda for my taste.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I haven't seen him, so if you've watched a lot of his stuff and say he is, I have no counter argument. I just figure you don't have to be poor to be against capitalism without also being a hypocrite.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

He's a propagandist that's for sure. His films are so filled with disinformation that I have a hard time imagining that he is making them for selfless reasons. So I'm going to have to go for yes.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Most of the anti-capitalists in the recent London riots seemed to be from middle / upper class families. Those against profit always seem to be the ones that are reaping the most of it.
Capitalism has nothing to do with how much money you have, and everything to do with who owns the means of production (in capitalism, they are privately owned). So in that respect, he isn't a hypocrite. Additionally, from the synopsis of the film on Wikipedia, it appears to be less about capitalism and more about the greed of bankers.
Russell Brand has had this accusation thrown at him as well. I really don't see the relevance of it all myself. What do people expect them to do? Throw all their money away?
I have no problem if they make money just don't make a movie bashing capitalism is. IMO that is a hypocrite move

manowar
(March 15, 2014 at 10:40 am)Manowar Wrote: I have seen many of his films, but one film bothered me, it was on the evils of capitalism. The problem I have with that film is that Michael is worth about 50 million dollars. Does that make him a hypocrite? That 50 million is keeping his fat ass in butter brickle.

SIDE NOTE:
I loved the part of the movie where the oh-so-sanctimonious Catholic priests are railing against capitalism as an evil institution that exploits the masses providing great wealth for the few that direct it and that furthermore it is an institution so internally corrupt by its very definition that there is no possibility to redeem it by reforms or regulation.

Oh, my irony meter burst right there in the movie theater. I could barely contain myself.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why wasn't Trump destroyed like Michael Jackson? WinterHold 11 1262 January 2, 2020 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Seems Roy Moore Got Tired of Waiting For Jesus To Get Off His Ass Minimalist 32 5591 January 3, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  Stephen Colbert: The Legend of Roy Moore Minimalist 1 426 December 14, 2017 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  DaFUQ is this Roy Moore election shit ? vorlon13 48 5279 December 13, 2017 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Roy Moore: Batshit Crazy Motherfucker Minimalist 16 2556 September 29, 2017 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Anyone know who Michael Savage is? NuclearEnergy 14 4041 May 28, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Michael Moore's To-Do List Mechaghostman2 1 641 November 10, 2016 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Michael Moore, Welcome to the 'trump' side Drich 85 9668 November 2, 2016 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  America's shittiest one-and-done Congressman is a plagiarist (and a hypocrite) Ryantology 8 1980 December 13, 2014 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Heywood
Smile Obama called war criminal & hypocrite of the century in Irish Parlament Big Blue Sky 33 11475 June 24, 2013 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Tiberius