Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you follow any other athiest-religious sites/forums?
Do you follow any other athiest-religious sites/forums?
I follow the threads on this site: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1940597
RE: Do you follow any other athiest-religious sites/forums?
looks like ads.

and I see EVERYTHING ,,, well I look away when you are jacking off because I am god not your personal trainer fuckhead.
I'm a moderator on the Friendly Atheist Forum. I'm also a member of The Clergy Project, but that is limited to clergypersons, former or still active, who have shed all supernatural beliefs, kind of a support group, especially for the actives, who have not yet found a way to exit without facing financial disaster. For myself, I've been out of the ministry close to 30 years.
If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people — House
(March 16, 2014 at 9:07 am)xpastor Wrote: I'm a moderator on the Friendly Atheist Forum. I'm also a member of The Clergy Project, but that is limited to clergypersons, former or still active, who have shed all supernatural beliefs, kind of a support group, especially for the actives, who have not yet found a way to exit without facing financial disaster. For myself, I've been out of the ministry close to 30 years.

Wow I can only imagine how difficult that must have been to leave the clergy. I can imagine there must have been quite a bit of pressure to stay. Glad to hear your free from it though. Must have been liberating to no longer have to preach something you didn't believe.
[Image: 1509277_363796590425193_1433975890_n.jpg]
I used to be a moderator at the revamped JesusNeverExisted forum, but I haven't been able to keep up with staff duties for a hell of a long time and now the place seems to have gone belly-up. I would recommend the parent site any day: http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
This is my first one. I have read stuff in Fundies Say the Darndest Things, but never submitted anything. I've been an atheist for a pretty good while, but I didn't really think about joining an atheist centered forum until recently.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I started following this site http://www.agnosticsinternational.org/forum/portal.php around the same time I started here. I'm not as active there anymore but I do look in still from time to time.
(March 16, 2014 at 9:11 am)OGirly Wrote: Wow I can only imagine how difficult that must have been to leave the clergy. I can imagine there must have been quite a bit of pressure to stay. Glad to hear your free from it though. Must have been liberating to no longer have to preach something you didn't believe.
There was no external pressure to stay because I knew that in a conservative denomination it would be crazy to tell others what I was thinking.

There was internal pressure to stay, in that you tell yourself, "I've believed this firmly for 20 years; my skepticism must be just a passing phase."

You're right that preaching something you don't believe results in very painful cognitive dissonance. It's not like other jobs where you can just go through the motions and get the work done and forget about it when you're finished for the day.

As I indicated, financial considerations are a big problem for a lot of unbelieving clergy. Where will you find another job to support your family? Your training isn't exactly relevant for other jobs.

It wasn't a issue for me because by the time I left, I was too strung out and depressed to even think about that. However, I got by because I was adaptable. The last 20 years of my work life, I was definitely underemployed in terms of my education and earned a bit less than a professional would expect to, but I was never unemployed for long.
If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people — House
I tried to follow the thinking atheist forum for a while and I know a few others on here are members. Also rationalia is good for the occasional read.

Thanks to xpastor I'm now going to check out the friendly atheist forum.
I enjoy reading over at http://www.secularhumanism.org. It's not a message board or forum, they just have really interesting articles.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have any interest in the philosophies of introflection pioneered by Buddhism? Authari 67 2752 January 12, 2024 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 3803 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Suck it, Your an Athiest. Goosebump 5 927 February 19, 2022 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Atheist Sites Fireball 13 2283 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5250 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any ? Rahn127 1167 93395 January 15, 2019 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any? Simplified arguments version. purplepurpose 112 12144 November 20, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Santa and Other Lies to the Kids mlmooney89 25 2648 August 27, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Athiest with children? Jesus Cristo 69 12906 October 12, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Experience of Atheists on Christian Forums Rhondazvous 29 6665 March 11, 2017 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13