Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Human Mind
The Human Mind
Is the human mind getting better? worse? or the same?

So i had a discussion with my dad about religion and im sure you know how that went. But it ended with the xian argument of ignorance - "How on earth were they able to create the pyramids?", im sure yall are familiar with that claim which has been answered by historians. So it led me to think, because of the discoveries in mechanics that have led us to have the mechanics that we have now, were our minds better? and have gotten worse? OR are we better now and are simply progressing? or are we the same?

The part of being the same is a bit misleading:
See, when we were in the ancient greek times, they would agree to be intelligent based on the technology they had back then. As well are we in the same position based on what we have but what about the next thousand years?

What are your thoughts?
xR34P3Rx
it isn't in our nature to think of a God, it is in our nature to seek answers and the concept of God is most influenced in this world.
RE: The Human Mind
We all know that the pyramids were nuclear reactors put there by aliens,
My mind is getting worse. I can't remember shit if I don't write it down.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(March 17, 2014 at 3:56 pm)FreeTony Wrote: We all know that the pyramids were nuclear reactors put there by aliens,

omg, no... where on earth did you get this from?
xR34P3Rx
it isn't in our nature to think of a God, it is in our nature to seek answers and the concept of God is most influenced in this world.
Pyramids are not fucking complicated. Put bunch of rocks together. Get a fuckton of sand. Put some more rocks. Don't forget that it required fuckton of slaves and fuckton of years. Nothing miraculous about it AT ALL.
(March 18, 2014 at 2:20 am)tor Wrote: Pyramids are not fucking complicated. Put bunch of rocks together. Get a fuckton of sand. Put some more rocks. Don't forget that it required fuckton of slaves and fuckton of years. Nothing miraculous about it AT ALL.

I think that's a bit dismissive. A computer? Nothing miraculous-- just put a bunch of silicon, plastic, and metal together.

The point is that the pyramids are constructions of the highest possible precision, made by people whose tools were presumably too crude for the job.
(March 18, 2014 at 6:59 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(March 18, 2014 at 2:20 am)tor Wrote: Pyramids are not fucking complicated. Put bunch of rocks together. Get a fuckton of sand. Put some more rocks. Don't forget that it required fuckton of slaves and fuckton of years. Nothing miraculous about it AT ALL.

I think that's a bit dismissive. A computer? Nothing miraculous-- just put a bunch of silicon, plastic, and metal together.

The point is that the pyramids are constructions of the highest possible precision, made by people whose tools were presumably too crude for the job.
Hahaha. Oh no. I've been to egypt myself. Pyramids are cool but they are not THAT precise.
There are also several older pyramids that are not so triangular. It took them a few generations and alot of trial and error until they found a way for the structure to remain triangular.
Also there was Meidum pyramid which collapsed because they failed so hard at building it.
The Pyramids were nothing supernatural. It's not hard to understand how they came to be. Slavery is great, though, yeah?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1064 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  How to change a mind Aroura 0 285 July 30, 2018 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aroura
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12018 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Mind from the Inside bennyboy 46 5943 September 18, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  What God is to the Universe is what your mind is to your body fdesilva 172 18995 August 23, 2016 at 7:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Mind is the brain? Mystic 301 28880 April 19, 2016 at 6:09 pm
  Is personal identity really just mind? Pizza 47 6718 February 14, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist Rational AKD 348 79871 October 22, 2015 at 6:34 pm
  Mind Over Matter? emjay 70 14891 April 12, 2015 at 9:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Supervenience, Transcendence, and Mind bennyboy 32 8012 September 15, 2014 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Surgenator