Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:09 pm

Poll: Trolls are the way they are because...
This poll is closed.
They feel emotionally unsatisfactory as human beings, so their body deforms and turns green as a result.
15.38%
2 15.38%
They are in the middle of throwing a childish tantrum, screaming the same thing over and over again as though it will be heard better this time.
15.38%
2 15.38%
They are ugly and green. Need more be said?
7.69%
1 7.69%
They are really just intelligent and sensitive individuals, who just can't take it anymore!
7.69%
1 7.69%
They don't realize that they are trolls, because they lack the emotional support of close friends/family to tell them to take a bath.
7.69%
1 7.69%
They are. I honestly do not know what makes these individuals act as they do.
46.15%
6 46.15%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mentality of a Troll
Mentality of a Troll
This is something I never understood... just why do people troll? Just what makes people want to troll?

What is going on in a person's mind that allows them be a troll? Is it some sort of neurological disorder, or an emotion in some sick sense? Does a troll just feel small, green, ugly, and angry at the world?

Seriously... what is 'wrong?' with these people? Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
RE: Mentality of a Troll
*groans with hands stretched outwards* Must destroy intelligible conversation! *groans*
(December 17, 2009 at 6:56 pm)theVOID Wrote: *groans with hands stretched outwards* Must destroy intelligible conversation! *groans*

ROFLOL
I'm not sure there is any one reason for the behaviour. I can think of several,depending on a range of circumstances.EG; the deeply wounded adolescent, the paranoid mental case like poor David M,the fearful fundie who is threatened by atheists--of course,as Freud famously did not say,"sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" ;some people are just arseholes.....

Trolling behaviour is unacceptable and does not stop by paying it attention.

At 62 I've just begun to understand myself. I don't fully understand any other human being; I kinda get a handful; my family and a couple of friends I've known for over 30 years. For me,adult human relationships are about acceptance, which is built on such things as trust, respect, caring, interest, and need.

This is an internet forum.I quite like and respect most of the personalities here,really like a few and dislike a couple. BUT, I don't know any of you personally,and almost certainly never will.(what with living in different countries) My level of emotional attachment is low,purely through self protection.

In my opinion,trolls should be banned as soon as recognised and their posts deleted.The only comment from admin being to advise the troll has been banned.

Trolls are irritating. I can't change their behaviour.The only thing I can actually do is ignore them.This is not always easy.
But something usually has to make that cigar Tongue

I know that trolls are irritating wastes of time... but I'm interested in knowing what makes them like that Smile

Nothing stops by not paying it attention (or doing so). But you can't very well understand things if you don't pay any attention to them Smile What is a troll? An emotion? A mental condition? Green and ugly? What? Smile
Lack of understanding. A square peg attempting a round hole. Take our Catholic today.. reasonable points politely made... hits censorship. The inexperienced can take online rebuff very personally. No matter that this fish out of water should have expected sand.. sand in his face was like sand he wasn't expecting. Pride kicks in.. human nature fulfilled.

Sorry... had to giggle at this coming from my blind friend: "adult human relationships are about acceptance" LMAO
Of course there will always be the Dave Mabus types - who knows what goes on in their heads?

As for some of the other trolls, I think it's a bit like the schoolboy who is interested in a girl, but afraid to make a move in case she rejects him - so he teases her instead. Sure, he still gets rejected, but this way it's no big surprise. The girl did exactly what he expected - which proves that he's still in control.

Deep down the troll is afraid of rejection. It would hurt his ego to write a serious post and have it rejected, so he writes a silly post and when rejection comes - well he was being deliberately silly wasn't he? So it doesn't really matter does it? And look at the other posters, reacting in exactly the way he thought they would - proof positive that he is pulling the strings; still in control.
It's anonymity. The ability to give in to your desires to be a complete asshole without any repercussions other than a pesky internet ban.

Anon has really taken over the internet.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Quote:But you can't very well understand things if you don't pay any attention to them

You're right of course. I DO pay attention to the people and things I find interesting or necessary. Trolls don't fall into either category.

That you are interested in such people probably says some good things about you. That I can't be bothered with the irritating twats simply reinforces my claim of impatient and intolerant misanthropy. Devil
(December 17, 2009 at 11:18 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: It's anonymity. The ability to give in to your desires to be a complete asshole without any repercussions other than a pesky internet ban.

Anon has really taken over the internet.

I agree. The perfect example is 4 chan.
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Troll Rating Foxaèr 3 617 May 6, 2023 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Troll Poll on Atheism ignoramus 2 498 December 17, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The "I want to be different" mentality Foxaèr 29 3978 July 5, 2017 at 4:45 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Being a troll is good? Safirno 24 3165 July 9, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Losty
  What Makes You Assume That I'm a Troll? RonaldReagansGhost666 11 5109 January 20, 2013 at 7:23 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  This guy either needs serious mental help or the worlds best troll award Reforged 23 9253 July 1, 2012 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  I'm a troll Garmston Ansell 13 3926 April 25, 2011 at 4:26 am
Last Post: Violet
  If I were a troll in real life... Cego_Colher 14 4793 August 23, 2010 at 8:22 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
  How to tell if you're a comments troll The_Flying_Skeptic 1 996 June 28, 2010 at 12:40 am
Last Post: Shell B