Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ill-Logic, it Burns
Exclamation 
The Ill-Logic, it Burns
I just had a conversation with someone on YouTube (I know, I know my mistake) over why atheists still use the phrases "goddamnit, bless you and Jesus Christ". This bloke was under the assumption that we (atheists) are still using these terms not out of habit or social norms but because, subconsciously, we know that we're wrong about the state of God's existence and that this is some kind of Freudian slip. When I said that he's overlooking the obvious truth in favor of confirmation bias, and that a quick application of Occam's Razor would remedy his illogical thought process, he told me that;

Delusional Creationist YouTuber Wrote:The principles of Occam's Razor were established on a basis of bias not of a quest for real knowledge.

and that William of Ockham was,

Delusional Creationist YouTuber Wrote:simply mad at the church and in layman's terms stated "God doesn't really exist because I can't see him". This consequently became the premier argument for illogical and uneducated atheists, many of whom don't even know the name of the argument.

I mean... holy fucking shit.

Now I'm not savvy on William's history other than; I know he was a devout Christian theologian who held the notion that god was only revealed through revelation and that he was at odds with the papacy over Apostolic poverty and something to do with a commentary he wrote, but it seems incredibly unlikely to me that he would have made this thought principle just to piss off John XXII.

I'd love to hear anything you all have to say about this, and if any of you have any insight to what this loon is on about. Thanks.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
RE: The Ill-Logic, it Burns
Your YouTubist has gotten nearly everything wrong.

1. Ockham's Razor (I prefer the term 'principle of parsimony') had to do with bias only in the sense that Ockham did not differ all that much from his fellow Franciscans in that he wanted to construct a way to make God necessary. Whether he intended it to be used as a knowledge-gathering tool is moot.

2. Ockham believed in God precisely because he could NOT see him. He viewed God as ontologically necessary and not amenable to reason and logic.

3. Well, Ockham was mad at the Church, but that was only after the Pope got made at William first.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Tell him that the viability of Occam's razor can be shown using Bayes theorem Smile
Bayes was a pastor Big Grin
(It's true - additional assumptions lower the prior probability of a proposal, for details see R.Carrier's book)
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 29, 2014 at 7:21 am)Alex K Wrote: Tell him that the viability of Occam's razor can be shown using Bayes theorem Smile
Bayes was a pastor Big Grin
(It's true - additional assumptions lower the prior probability of a proposal, for details see R.Carrier's book)

Wonderful! I'll even link to this short explanatory page I found. Big Grin

Bayes Theorem
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
One does not simply have a conversation on Youtube...

Apparently there are all sorts of idiots on Youtube.

How does he feel about "jesus tittyfucking christ?"
I use such phrases only because I like blasphemy - or rather, the effect it has on overly pious assholes.
Amen, motherfucker!

Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 754 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Photo The atrocities of religiosity warrant our finest. Logic is not it Ghetto Sheldon 86 5488 October 5, 2021 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 26539 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 149123 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  a challenge All atheists There is inevitably a Creator. Logic says that suni_muslim 65 14378 November 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  What is logic? Little Rik 278 54772 May 1, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9139 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Logic vs Evidence dimaniac 34 12750 November 25, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Proving god with logic? xr34p3rx 47 11562 March 21, 2014 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do you believe that only mentally ill people commit suicide? leodeo 35 8444 January 8, 2014 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle