Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic
Tongue 
Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic
Huggy74 said that he could present evidence against Odin.

Quote:Huggy74
I'll take you up on submitting evidence against Odin, I won't break a sweat winning that argument.

Start a thread whenever you're ready.

I figured I'd take him up on that.  So for the sake of this argument I'm taking on the position of "Odin Exists, and you can't prove to me otherwise."  For this topic I will abandon logic in the same way theists do for their god, to defend 'mine'.  (Obviously I don't actually believe in Odin.  I'm acting as a Devil's Advocate for this experiment)  Anyone who wants to join me in debunking his evidence is more than welcome to join.  Alternately if someone wants to join his side, and disprove Odin, they're more than welcome to do so as well.  This isn't a formal debate.  Christians always want us atheists to disprove their god.  Now it's their turn to disprove someone else's.  

First and Foremost I will state that it is of utmost importance to remember than any stories in the Norse Tales are second hand stories, passed down, and are not in fact the word of Odin himself.  Any stories told are simply allegory or misunderstandings of an ancient group of people.  Therefore, I will not accept any evidence that debunks Norse Tales--because they are just that.  I can easily dismiss all claims to the contrary as "Allegory" much like our Christian friends do.  And I have good reason to--after all, the Norse tales aren't the word of Odin himself, like the Bible claims to be the word of god.

Second, I will provide my evidence for Odin:  There are no Frost Giants.  Odin said he would rid the world of Frost Giants.  Clearly he did.  Now one might argue that Frost Giants did not exist.  But that can't be proven either.  And even if they didn't, I can simply fall back on the first and foremost statement:  It's just allegory.   But given that we don't see any Frost Giants walking around, I can (in theistic logic) attribute that to Odin.  (After all, theists attribute miracles all the time, as well as NDE's, and everything else)

Now, I await Huggy's evidence that Odin does not exist.  I don't believe he'll be able to disprove it.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
RE: Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic
In fact, we have PROOF that all the Norse gods and goddesses and giants did exist in the past, but that they were all destroyed during the Ragnarok. And the PROOF? They no longer exist! Big Grin
Trump could be evidence of Ragnarok.

Edit: Ninja'd by Grandizer.
The Great Elder Gaiman prophecies that Odin is afoot in America as we speak. He is conspiring against the new gods. Beware of old, one eyed men followed by flocks of ravens!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Odin is not a necessary being. So it doesn't matter. Next.
<insert profound quote here>
(March 6, 2018 at 9:02 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Odin is not a necessary being. So it doesn't matter. Next.

I posit that the christian god is not necessary.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 6, 2018 at 9:02 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Odin is not a necessary being. So it doesn't matter. Next.

Says who?
Odin is necessary to avoid an infinite regress. C'mon, people, it's obvious!
(March 6, 2018 at 9:05 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:

I posit that the christian god is not necessary.

Or even useful.

Neither is Jesus, but people spend a lot of time talking about him.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 758 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Photo The atrocities of religiosity warrant our finest. Logic is not it Ghetto Sheldon 86 5494 October 5, 2021 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Disproving God Mechaghostman2 158 30848 July 14, 2021 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 27053 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Disproving the christian (and muslim) god I_am_not_mafia 106 27068 March 15, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  a challenge All atheists There is inevitably a Creator. Logic says that suni_muslim 65 14436 November 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  What is logic? Little Rik 278 54859 May 1, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9162 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Arguing w/ Religious Friends z7z 14 3423 June 5, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Logic vs Evidence dimaniac 34 12772 November 25, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: bennyboy