Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proving god with logic?
Proving god with logic?
so i got confronted with this claim about proving gods existence with logic. i dont quite remember the claims this person had but based on past claims that yall are familiar with, how can you debunk this?
xR34P3Rx
it isn't in our nature to think of a God, it is in our nature to seek answers and the concept of God is most influenced in this world.
RE: Proving god with logic?
(March 21, 2014 at 3:36 am)xr34p3rx Wrote: so i got confronted with this claim about proving gods existence with logic. i dont quite remember the claims this person had but based on past claims that yall are familiar with, how can you debunk this?

There has been some discussion on this:

http://atheistforums.org/thread-24070.html

http://atheistforums.org/thread-24575.html

http://atheistforums.org/thread-24131.html

http://atheistforums.org/thread-24073.html

I'm not saying you shouldn't discuss the specific proof you have been confronted with here, just FYI
Let me guess... circular logic?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Proving god with logic?
There are no existing syllogisms that logically prove God exists. There are variations of Aristotle's unmoved mover, most notably the KCA, but all begin with premises that aren't supported by other logic, or are conclusions masquerading as premises.

Circular logic.
(March 21, 2014 at 1:39 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: There are no existing syllogisms that logically prove God exists. There are variations of Aristotle's unmoved mover, most notably the KCA, but all begin with premises that aren't supported by other logic, or are conclusions masquerading as premises.

Circular logic.

Not so. Modern analysis usually misinterprets archaic usage of certain terms of Aquinas' 5 ways.
All the proofs with logic come down to.
1. X can't exist without God.
2. X exists.
3. God exists.

X can be knowledge, universe, logic and so on.
(March 21, 2014 at 1:58 pm)tor Wrote: All the proofs with logic come down to.
2. X exists.
3. God exists.

well the way i see it now is that almost anything can be "proven" logically BUT that doesnt make it real.
xR34P3Rx
it isn't in our nature to think of a God, it is in our nature to seek answers and the concept of God is most influenced in this world.
(March 21, 2014 at 2:32 pm)xr34p3rx Wrote:
(March 21, 2014 at 1:58 pm)tor Wrote: All the proofs with logic come down to.
2. X exists.
3. God exists.

well the way i see it now is that almost anything can be "proven" logically BUT that doesnt make it real.

To prove anything with logic you need either axioms or information. Logic alone proves nothing.
You can't prove anything with logic alone to be proven it must be backed with evidence.

Otherwise why would they have spent so much money looking for the Higgs Boson? logically it must exist.(And does)

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(March 21, 2014 at 2:34 pm)tor Wrote:
(March 21, 2014 at 2:32 pm)xr34p3rx Wrote: well the way i see it now is that almost anything can be "proven" logically BUT that doesnt make it real.

To prove anything with logic you need either axioms or information. Logic alone proves nothing.

yea, thats kind of what i just said Cool Shades
xR34P3Rx

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 754 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Photo The atrocities of religiosity warrant our finest. Logic is not it Ghetto Sheldon 86 5488 October 5, 2021 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 26540 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 149130 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  a challenge All atheists There is inevitably a Creator. Logic says that suni_muslim 65 14378 November 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  What is logic? Little Rik 278 54773 May 1, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Proving God in 20 statements smfortune 211 24720 April 6, 2016 at 6:50 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  When Atheists Can't Think Episode 2: Proving Atheism False Heat 18 3397 December 22, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9139 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Logic vs Evidence dimaniac 34 12750 November 25, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: bennyboy