Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bible: not a page turner!
The Bible: not a page turner!
I'd like to begin by saying that this post is not a discussion about the veracity of the bible or its moral, ethical or religious significance.

What I'm talking about is how boring I feel it is to read. I've twice made the mistake of starting from the beginning, but both those times I gave up before I had read even a third of it.
I've tried to read different parts that I thought would interest me, treating the Bible like a collection of different books (which it is, apparently). This didn't work either.
I feel the bible has a lot of flaws from a litterary point of view:

-Often clunky prose and unaesthetic language.
-Boring listings like, 'x begat y, then y begat z, and so on ad nauseum, that seem utterly insignificant to me as a modern person.
-Same as above, but instead dealing with what land belongs to whom.
-Characters appearing out of nowhere, or disappearing inexplicably.
-Similes and metaphors that I believe lack meaning to many modern readers.
-Too much repetition.
-Disjointedness. Who the hell edited this crap?

I could go on and on about this, but its pointess. I just find it to be a hopeless book to read.

There are pretty passages that create a sense of wonder, like when God tells Abraham how many children he will have, and so on. But this is brought low by my feeling that the bible is a bit of a downer. There is too much 'don't do this, don't do that, or death and punishment'. Too often the main 'characters' seem to live miserable lives -- you wonder why they don't just do themselves in. There is also far too much heinous shit going on for my taste.
I also dislike the fact that you often have to turn to footnotes and even outside sources to understand what the heck is going on.
(The uncrowned master of this in modern times is Italian writer Umberto Ecco, IMO)
Again: I say this without in any way critiquing the truth of the bible, or its moral and religious significance.

By comparison, the bhagavad gita and its 'mommy' the mahabharata are beautiful and poetic texts that are fun and exiting to read. Even if they can be a little hard to understand sometimes, and they don't exactly end on a high note.
The Koran has a spaced-out poetic quality that makes it interesting, even when you don't understand it or it seems bat shit crazy (although I'm told much of this poetic quality is lost in translation from the Arabic)
The Poetic Edda is a fun read and contains a lot of thoughts and sayings that are valid even today, without mixing in any spirituality.
Some Zoroastrian texts I've read are interesting to read because those guys seemed to be like christians on LSD or something... Marry myself? Fuck yeah!

I twinge slightly with guilt when I think about the fact that I only know the overarching story of the Bible because I read a series of biblical comic books in my early teens.
So. My question to christians and de-converts alike: how the heck does one find the strength and energy to read the entire bible? Do/did you find it as boring as I did? How did you find it?

RE: The Bible: not a page turner!
Quote:like when God tells Abraham how many children he will have

Yeah....god is overly intrigued by pussy. I'll give you that.
Since we're talking literary quality, which bible translation were you reading?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

While I largely agree with your list of flaws, I didn't find the Bible to be as dull as you do. In fact, I love some of the books, nutty as they are. That said, I do recall reading 1 Chronicles and thinking, "Disemboweling myself really wouldn't be the worst thing, would it?"
All versions suck.. its made to read however a reader wants.
Maybe we could persuade Quentin Tarantino to do a re-write.

He could make that bastard ROCK!

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 1, 2014 at 5:34 pm)Alex K Wrote: Since we're talking literary quality, which bible translation were you reading?

It is the Swedish translation that was made in 1917.

(not 'Bible 2000' which came out in... Guess what year? Cool title, huh)

(April 1, 2014 at 5:44 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Maybe we could persuade Quentin Tarantino to do a re-write.

Boru

And the soundtrack would be awesome!
(April 1, 2014 at 5:49 pm)Crossless1 Wrote:
(April 1, 2014 at 5:44 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Maybe we could persuade Quentin Tarantino to do a re-write.

Boru

And the soundtrack would be awesome!

The only one that could ever teach me...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 1, 2014 at 6:06 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(April 1, 2014 at 5:49 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: And the soundtrack would be awesome!

The only one that could ever teach me...

Reservoir Disciples?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44143 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ? Emzap 62 11270 November 4, 2016 at 2:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Mary is not a virgin by the Bible accounts Fake Messiah 26 3817 September 30, 2016 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What the Bible Does NOT Say About Premarital Sex Rhondazvous 30 6413 January 25, 2016 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7451 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Trust the Bible not Science Dolorian 34 7440 October 25, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The Bible is the claim, not the evidence Bad Writer 299 81197 February 27, 2014 at 11:02 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  The Bible does NOT ban masturbation..another Christian lie là bạn điên 42 9279 February 12, 2014 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Hell does NOT exist in the bible? 1tasolo 24 8017 February 3, 2014 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The original Christianity is not what is in the Bible Beta Ray Bill 46 13156 September 8, 2013 at 2:27 am
Last Post: Minimalist