Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the Bible Does NOT Say About Premarital Sex
What the Bible Does NOT Say About Premarital Sex
I’ve not found anything. Zip. Zero. Nada. So from where do Christians get this idea that no premarital sex is a moral absolute?  It’s important because this is one area they point to as why we are all sinners. It’s easy to convince young people that they need Jesus to forgive them for all the sexual thoughts they have. But what does the Bible actually say?
1. Female virginity in the Bible is actually a commodity. It was important that brides be virgins because no man wanted to pay the full bride price for used goods.
2. Abraham made Hagar his wife merely by sleeping with her.

’Genesis 16: 3, 4’ Wrote:After Abram had lived ten years in the land of Canaan, Abram's wife Sarai took Hagar the Egyptian, her maid, and gave her to her husband Abram as his wife. 4He went in to Hagar, and she conceived;
The wedding ceremony is just that, a ceremony, a public display of something that has already taken place. You don’t die at your funeral and you are no less dead if you don’t have a funeral.

3. In the Old Testament, if a man rapes a woman, he has to pay her father and marry her, not as punishment for having premarital sex but because just like when you go into a store and break something you have to pay for it. Whether or not the woman wants to be in a Luke and Laura marriage is not an issue.
’Deuteronomy 22: 28, 29’ Wrote:"If a man finds a girl who is a virgin, who is not engaged, and seizes her and lies with her and they are discovered, 29then the man who lay with her shall give to the girl's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall become his wife because he has violated her; he cannot divorce her all his days

So I guess if they’re not caught he can leave her to face the consequences of being an unwed mother or a daughter who can’t bring her father the full bride price.

Oh, you say, but that’s Old Testament. Never mind that god is the same yesterday, today and forever. Things are different under Jesus. Are they? Let’s see.

1 Corinthians chapter 7 seems to refute what I’m saying. Paul says let every man have his wife and every woman her husband. But as we saw in Genesis, all it takes to make a woman your wife is to sleep with her. And there is still no strict prohibition against premarital sex. No verse that say what order the events must take place. Verse 9 is particularly interesting
‘verse 9’ Wrote:But if they can't control themselves, they should go ahead and marry

Can you imagine a man telling a woman “I can’t help myself. I want to fuck your brains out. Let’s get married.”

The only difference between the Old Testament and Paul is that under Paul the man doesn’t have to pay the woman’s father.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: What the Bible Does NOT Say About Premarital Sex
Looks like people had gotten cheaper in the time between the OT and the NT, doesn't it.  I can understand, why should I have to pay for something when there's so much of it just hanging around, ripe for the picking.

Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Probably the same place where they get the idea that biblical marriage is monogamy.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Is there anything in there about anal sex? No shame on the woman unless it gets around (it probably would) and Daddy can still get full price.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
You're correct. 
It doesn't count as sex, if you do it in the loophole.
(January 13, 2016 at 9:02 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: I’ve not found anything. Zip. Zero. Nada. So from where do Christians get this idea that no premarital sex is a moral absolute?  It’s important because this is one area they point to as why we are all sinners. It’s easy to convince young people that they need Jesus to forgive them for all the sexual thoughts they have. But what does the Bible actually say?
1. Female virginity in the Bible is actually a commodity. It was important that brides be virgins because no man wanted to pay the full bride price for used goods.
2. Abraham made Hagar his wife merely by sleeping with her.

’Genesis 16: 3, 4’ Wrote:After Abram had lived ten years in the land of Canaan, Abram's wife Sarai took Hagar the Egyptian, her maid, and gave her to her husband Abram as his wife. 4He went in to Hagar, and she conceived;
The wedding ceremony is just that, a ceremony, a public display of something that has already taken place. You don’t die at your funeral and you are no less dead if you don’t have a funeral.

3. In the Old Testament, if a man rapes a woman, he has to pay her father and marry her, not as punishment for having premarital sex but because just like when you go into a store and break something you have to pay for it. Whether or not the woman wants to be in a Luke and Laura marriage is not an issue.
’Deuteronomy 22: 28, 29’ Wrote:"If a man finds a girl who is a virgin, who is not engaged, and seizes her and lies with her and they are discovered, 29then the man who lay with her shall give to the girl's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall become his wife because he has violated her; he cannot divorce her all his days

So I guess if they’re not caught he can leave her to face the consequences of being an unwed mother or a daughter who can’t bring her father the full bride price.

Oh, you say, but that’s Old Testament. Never mind that god is the same yesterday, today and forever. Things are different under Jesus. Are they? Let’s see.

1 Corinthians chapter 7 seems to refute what I’m saying. Paul says let every man have his wife and every woman her husband. But as we saw in Genesis, all it takes to make a woman your wife is to sleep with her. And there is still no strict prohibition against premarital sex. No verse that say what order the events must take place. Verse 9 is particularly interesting
‘verse 9’ Wrote:But if they can't control themselves, they should go ahead and marry

Can you imagine a man telling a woman “I can’t help myself. I want to fuck your brains out. Let’s get married.”

The only difference between the Old Testament and Paul is that under Paul the man doesn’t have to pay the woman’s father.
here a link geared towards teens to explain what the bible does have to say about premarital sex.
http://412teens.org/qna/why-are-Christia...al-sex.php
Plenty of the goody main characters have concubines (as well as multiple wives sometimes) and God seems to have no objection to this. In the OT, he was pretty quick to let people know what he objected to.

The bible says nothing about masturbation or contraception either, by the way. It just goes to show a lot of people don't read it, or fact check what they are told about it, which is weird considering how much time they spend praising it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Don't listen to Drich, Rhonda, have some actual edumacation instead:

https://youtu.be/OFkeKKszXTw
(January 14, 2016 at 9:55 am)Drich Wrote: here a link geared towards teens to explain what the bible does have to say about premarital sex.
http://412teens.org/qna/why-are-Christia...al-sex.php

And yet, King David had 300 wives and 700 concubines and yet was called a man after god's own heart. the apple of god's eye. Apparently none of the scriptures you've pointed out constitutes a moral absolute. And again, biblical marriage does not have to precede sex. As I pointed out Abraham made Hagar his wife merely by sleeping with her. The same is true of Adam and Eve.

Having a wedding doesn't guarantee faithfulness. People who love one another and are committed should not be made to feel guilty just because they chose not to have the ceremony.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(January 14, 2016 at 9:59 am)robvalue Wrote: Plenty of the goody main characters have concubines (as well as multiple wives sometimes) and God seems to have no objection to this. In the OT, he was pretty quick to let people know what he objected to.

The bible says nothing about masturbation or contraception either, by the way. It just goes to show a lot of people don't read it, or fact check what they are told about it, which is weird considering how much time they spend praising it.

Actually, it does.  God killed Onan after jerkin his gerkin the very moment he blew his load.  There's some disagreement as to -why- god would do such an amusing thing, ofc.  Better safe than sorry, though, when dealing with a murderous god.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ex-minister of secretive sect, admits to child sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 167 January 28, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stupid things atheists say: Goatherders Data 45 1743 September 18, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44027 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1209 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1123 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5305 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2278 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Mary and Joseph ever have sex? Fake Messiah 41 7280 March 18, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Fox News’ Father Jonathan Morris is Quitting the Priesthood So He Can Have Sex Fake Messiah 46 10522 June 7, 2019 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Drich
  Ex-Pope Benedict XVI blames 1960s revolution for sex abuse zebo-the-fat 27 3367 April 17, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: brewer