Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why has Japan been banned from Antarctic Whaling?
Why has Japan been banned from Antarctic Whaling?
Recently Japan has been banned from their annual Antarctic whaling catch - and I want to know: why? Can anyone give me a good reason to ban Japan from whaling Minke Whales?

We still catch Southern Bluefin Tuna, a species that is Critically Endangered, yet we're telling Japan to stop hunting Minke Whales, a species of least conservation concern? What's wrong with Japan hunting a sustainable number of whales per year?

I'll tell you why they've been banned. It's really only one single thing that causes them to be banned - because they hunt the whales in international waters. If they could find enough Minke Whales to hunt in their own territorial waters no one would stop them, and besides terrorist groups like Sea Sheppard, no one would care.

But they hunt in international waters where they can, as we do, hunt a quota of critically endangered southern bluefin tuna, but they can't hunt a sustainable quota of non-endangered whales. It blows the mind, another win for the UN?? The insanity can be compared to the EU's ban on seal products.

Put the environment FIRST!
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Why has Japan been banned from Antarctic Whaling?
When you can get bluefin tuna to jump through a hoop at Sea World, they'll be better taken care of too. People are more emotional than rational.
Because:

A) their use of the scientific whaling provision has been found to be fraudulent

B) a significant body of whale meat claimed for human consumption is used as dog treats, further damaging credibility of the guise of "preserving human cultural traditions"

C) they don't always catch minke whales but other endangered species of whale

Japan is a signatory of the IWC agreements that gives a small but wide spanning set of conditions to do hunting under. They chose to abuse one of those conditions.

How is this hard to grasp? The letter of the law is being enforced.

I wouldn't mind better environmental protections that are more comprehensive.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
There are campaigns to save the Bluefin Tuna. Here's one of them.

Legal Petition Seeks Ban on Pacific Bluefin Tuna Fishing
by Center for Biological Diversity
Wednesday Apr 9th, 2014 12:06 PM
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
I would ban the Japan drift net fleets as well but I suppose people have to pick their fights

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(April 10, 2014 at 11:30 am)alpha male Wrote: When you can get bluefin tuna to jump through a hoop at Sea World, they'll be better taken care of too. People are more emotional than rational.

I’d set sustainable quotas on Australians international waters too, but people would get emotional about that…
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(April 10, 2014 at 1:02 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: I would ban the Japan drift net fleets as well but I suppose people have to pick their fights

Operation aims to chase the last drift nets out of the North Pacific

Activist Group Black Fish Using Drones to Defend the Ocean from Driftnets
(April 10, 2014 at 12:36 am)Aractus Wrote: Recently Japan has been banned from their annual Antarctic whaling catch - and I want to know: why? Can anyone give me a good reason to ban Japan from whaling

Yes. Because one should not be allowed to flaunt even bad laws.
(April 10, 2014 at 12:36 am)Aractus Wrote: Put the environment FIRST!

Great
Yes, we should.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 10, 2014 at 1:35 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: I’d set sustainable quotas on Australians international waters too, but people would get emotional about that…

WWA - Bluefin Tuna

Quote:There are three species of bluefin: Atlantic (the largest and most endangered), Pacific, and Southern. Most catches of the Atlantic bluefin tuna are taken from the Mediterranean Sea, which is the most important bluefin tuna fishery in the world.

Lack of knowledge about the biology and migratory behavior of Atlantic bluefin has hindered successful fishery management plans.

PIRATE FISHING
Illegal fishing of Atlantic bluefin is a big problem and the fishery has been plagued by lack of enforcement and control.

and

Quote:Bluefin tuna populations have declined severely from overfishing and illegal fishing over the past few decades –not just Atlantic bluefin tuna, but also Pacific bluefin tuna and Southern bluefin tuna. Population declines have been largely driven by the demand for this fish in high end sushi markets.

So, what is a sustainable quota for an endangered species under these circumstances?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You’ve Been Kidnapped!! BrianSoddingBoru4 40 2194 December 14, 2023 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I cant help but think expiration dates in Japan are a scam Macoleco 8 751 June 20, 2022 at 11:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ever been treated this way? Strange Vague Story. Disagreeable 18 1171 January 31, 2022 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Been wondering what the boyfriend looks like? Foxaèr 8 704 January 14, 2022 at 11:43 am
Last Post: johnnyy
  Imagine You've Been Kidnapped BrianSoddingBoru4 26 1327 August 20, 2021 at 4:13 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How high have you ever been? Frank Apisa 27 2102 June 28, 2021 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Name a movie that would have been creepy with a sex scene The Valkyrie 40 2269 November 21, 2020 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Why is it internet fandom has some of the nastiest people? A Godzilla fan 10 808 October 7, 2019 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  This has been nagging me for a while now... Dr H 11 1562 January 21, 2019 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  I've been there, "Have you ever"? Brian37 19 1678 November 16, 2018 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Fireball