Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is it internet fandom has some of the nastiest people?
Why is it internet fandom has some of the nastiest people?
I use Reddit from time to time. However I thought it would be fun to start following a sub reddit related to one of my favorite movie franchises (I bet you can't get guess Razz) and I am at a loss for words how mean and vicious people can get even with people that share their same passions. I dared disagreed with someone and went against the crowd. I wasn't rude nor nasty to anyone, just expressed my opinion. Instead it reverted to about 20 people downvoting me and dog pilling on and making me feel like shit. Seems instead a normal human being would ask as to how I felt the way I did or engaged is civil discourse, but nope. I guess that doesn't exist on the internet, at all anymore. Atheist forums seems to be one of the few places where people are rather civil. And as a new member here I appreciate that. So in short: even if you are part of a group of folks who share your same passions - since it's on the internet lots of them are batshit crazy.
How many nukes do you have?
RE: Why is it internet fandom has some of the nastiest people?
People who are nasty online are people who are nasty in real life.  It just comes out more online because there are no repercussions (such as getting punched in the face).

The technical, psychological term for these people is 'candy-arsed cowards'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I tried Reddit for a hot minute, didn't care for it. I just don't see the appeal.
(October 5, 2019 at 9:12 am)Fierce Wrote: I tried Reddit for a hot minute, didn't care for it. I just don't see the appeal.

Yeah I feel the same way. It's really just people stroking each others egos. Some of the joke subs are pretty funny though. But everywhere else, everyone is tightly wound. And I do mean tightly.
How many nukes do you have?

And bear in mind, this isn't an observation unique to the guys who do Penny Arcade. This is a phoenomenon that's actually been studied, and even given the more APA-friendly name "the Online Disinhibition Effect."

Naturally, this can go either way, with people being more open to discussing their legitimate likes and dislikes or mental health issues, but given the inherent asymmetry between pain and pleasure, it's only natural that people focus on the pain it causes.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
You don't need logic if you have a peer group.

It's how religion got started.
People are nasty creatures, downright awful. They always have been. Modern technology just parades it around
I think it's because of the anonymity/unaccountability of downvotes on Reddit... that that empowers people to be assholes with impunity. Compared to here for instance where it's a much better and much more positive system, with only positive votes (kudos) as well as accountability for those votes (ie all kudos is named)... leading to a much less toxic environment.
Internet tough guy syndrome.

Anonymity is a wonderful thing...
Dying to live, living to die.
Y'awl ain't never seen American football and European football fans...

rmfr
For me, it shall always be most important knowing how to think, rather than being told what to think, especially by Religious Absolutists.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 746 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Internet Utopia Ahriman 71 5077 October 7, 2021 at 8:53 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Mid-late 2000's internet was the best time for the web. Mechaghostman2 6 800 June 14, 2020 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 970 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  Shut Everything Down - Barack Obama Just Won The Internet BrianSoddingBoru4 30 2651 August 5, 2018 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Why do some people lack a sense of humor? NuclearEnergy 20 3651 November 25, 2017 at 11:48 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is it that makes people so mean on the internet? NuclearEnergy 9 1091 October 23, 2017 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: c172
  Why are people so obsessed with the show Game of Thrones? NuclearEnergy 31 6360 October 16, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Emmett
  Dumbest Thing Some Has Every Said To You Amarok 54 9061 August 28, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why are there so many creeps on the internet? NuclearEnergy 52 11967 May 25, 2017 at 6:52 am
Last Post: eggie