Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What makes a Good person?
What makes a Good person?
I was listening to BBC News Radio today and heard a very interesting quote/question. Can't remember the exact quote/question, but it went something like this.

What makes a good/useful person?

I then thought to myself, In terms of what? What is imporatnat to humans in reagrds to relationships, work, productivity, leisure, morals, conflict etc, etc......So what does make a good person? Who says what is normal? Who says what is right? Who says what is productive? Could there possibly be a correct answer!!!!
Considering the dynamics involved, I fail to see how there could possibly be a correct answer, or an overall useful person. They maybe useful in certain areas, but overall are they really usefullExclamationBig Grin

i suppose in terms of consumerism and growth we are all usefull though. So, I pose the question, What makes a good/usefull/normal person? Or.....just break it down if you like....Smile
RE: What makes a Good person?
Better yet.. We should be asking what makes a USELESS person.. then remove them from the genepool. I'm not saying kill anyone but sterilization would'nt be a bad Idea.
Did I make a good point? thumbs up Smile I cant help it I'm a Kudos whore. P.S. Jesus is a MYTH.
The alternative could be that we end up with this..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(December 24, 2009 at 1:26 am)Xyster Wrote: Better yet.. We should be asking what makes a USELESS person.. then remove them from the genepool. I'm not saying kill anyone but sterilization would'nt be a bad Idea.

Big Grin Hey.... thats not a bad idea. Worship

(December 24, 2009 at 2:14 am)Darwinian Wrote: The alternative could be that we end up with this..

*Idiocracy*

Cheers, I might check this one......Thinking
(December 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm)ib.me.ub Wrote: I then thought to myself, In terms of what? What is imporatnat to humans in reagrds to relationships, work, productivity, leisure, morals, conflict etc, etc......So what does make a good person? Who says what is normal? Who says what is right? Who says what is productive? Could there possibly be a correct answer!!!!
Considering the dynamics involved, I fail to see how there could possibly be a correct answer, or an overall useful person. They maybe useful in certain areas, but overall are they really usefullExclamationBig Grin
So you've discovered that moral is subjective...welcome to the club Scotty.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Yes Capatain, or should I say purple 'ugly cat/dog smoking cancer stick' rabbit man, I do understand that it is subjective.Clap

And in the context of the real World has no affect upon anything, apart from maybe if you break the law. Once, I held the view that there maybe a greater moral code in the context or right and wrong, but I have now decided that some people are more or less moral than others depending on their actions and thoughts, in my opinion. Of course, you will judge someone elses behaviour differently to myself as your moral level or thoughts will be different to mine. And all of theis means ........nothing......BlankBig Grin
(December 24, 2009 at 5:38 am)ib.me.ub Wrote: Yes Capatain, or should I say purple 'ugly cat/dog smoking cancer stick' rabbit man, I do understand that it is subjective.Clap
Ugly is relative too, so suit yourself. You don't mind me calling you Scotty do you? It is a lot easier for me than the name you've chosen here.

ib.me.ub Wrote:And in the context of the real World has no affect upon anything, apart from maybe if you break the law. Once, I held the view that there maybe a greater moral code in the context or right and wrong, but I have now decided that some people are more or less moral than others depending on their actions and thoughts, in my opinion. Of course, you will judge someone elses behaviour differently to myself as your moral level or thoughts will be different to mine. And all of theis means ........nothing......BlankBig Grin
Well, I do not agree that the subjective nature of moral makes it meaningless, but maybe that's not what you tried to convey.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Subjective doesn't mean unreal at all.

Just debatable, no?
Morals are subjective. I personally, subjectively, think that in general in order to be moral one has to be able to ( or it certainly helps IMO) empathize with others. But anyway, as I said, morals are subjective.

EvF
What makes a good person?

Lightly seared, with liberal applications of onion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What makes people irrational thinkers? SlowCalculations 228 17871 January 15, 2022 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 962 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  It makes me sad Rahn127 7 1652 April 24, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 6920 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  What makes people believe in religion? LetThereBeNoGod 11 3149 February 21, 2017 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2522 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  As an atheist, what makes your socks go up and down?? vorlon13 4 1512 May 18, 2016 at 7:03 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A Non-Religious Person's Meaning in Life and Death AFTT47 17 4872 January 12, 2016 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Don't tell a Religious person "There is no God" Heat 46 8034 October 25, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mikazuki
  In need of a more humbleness. Why condemning the Theistic position makes no sense. Mystic 141 23680 September 22, 2014 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Chas