Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignorant Classmates
Ignorant Classmates
So I was in my 2nd period class the other day and for one reason or another, the topic of religion came up in my row of students. We started talking about our religious beliefs and whatnot, and I stated that i'm an atheist.

Living in a very, very southern-boy, Jesus freak kind of town I do, everyone around me immediately was like "OMG WAAAAAT". So as we started discussing atheism, and I mean this with the respect to them, but these idiots couldn't seem to comprehend exactly what "Atheism" is.

As I explained it to them, they kept saying, "But WHAT GOD do you believe in???". I gave them the same answer every time: "I do not believe in any god or higher power." But ignorant as they were, they kept asking me about my beliefs in god and things like that. It's like they literally COULD NOT comprehend the fact that I did not believe in an invisible man in the sky watching me and telling me how to live my life.

Now everyone in my class acts sort of differently around me, which I like, because now I know who my friends are.

I guess what upsets me the most is the amount of ignorance in people today. They never question anything about their religion, and if someone says anything against their religion, they get all offensive and instantly start judging you like you're some kind of freak.

If you've had a similar experience, please let me know, as i'm still new to these kinds of encounters!
RE: Ignorant Classmates
It's a sad fact of life that much of the human race is completely content to remain in ignorance, especially if it is comfortable. Add on top of that that, generally speaking, the human race is moronic, it begins to feel as if you're floating in a sea of nitwits. The beauty of that, however, is it makes it that more awesome when you do find a person that is intelligent and questions what most humans just take for granted.

Sometimes I do feel like I'm all alone, as if no one thinks the way I do. Fortunately, the internet lets like-minded people find each other, so I don't have to go insane from lack of stimulating conversation.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 25, 2014 at 4:45 pm)Faith No More Wrote: It's a sad fact of life that much of the human race is completely content to remain in ignorance, especially if it is comfortable. Add on top of that that, generally speaking, the human race is moronic, it begins to feel as if you're floating in a sea of nitwits. The beauty of that, however, is it makes it that more awesome when you do find a person that is intelligent and questions what most humans just take for granted.

Sometimes I do feel like I'm all alone, as if no one thinks the way I do. Fortunately, the internet lets like-minded people find each other, so I don't have to go insane from lack of stimulating conversation.

Exactly! I know exactly how you feel! and yeah, the internet has finally let me find a place that I can talk abut my beliefs without being judged Tongue
Next time you see them, ask them why they don't believe in bigfoot or fairies, the reasons they give should be very similar to the reasons most atheists don't believe in god: there is no evidence. That is, of course, assuming that your class mates don't believe in bigfoot or fairies.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
I said I didn't believe in God when I was 8, not knowing any better. Some of my former classmates are still trying to convert me to this day.
Quote:Next time you see them, ask them why they don't believe in bigfoot or fairies,

Um...they probably do.
(April 25, 2014 at 3:58 pm)abtaylor Wrote: So I was in my 2nd period class the other day and for one reason or another, the topic of religion came up in my row of students. We started talking about our religious beliefs and whatnot, and I stated that i'm an atheist.

Living in a very, very southern-boy, Jesus freak kind of town I do, everyone around me immediately was like "OMG WAAAAAT". So as we started discussing atheism, and I mean this with the respect to them, but these idiots couldn't seem to comprehend exactly what "Atheism" is.

As I explained it to them, they kept saying, "But WHAT GOD do you believe in???". I gave them the same answer every time: "I do not believe in any god or higher power." But ignorant as they were, they kept asking me about my beliefs in god and things like that. It's like they literally COULD NOT comprehend the fact that I did not believe in an invisible man in the sky watching me and telling me how to live my life.

Now everyone in my class acts sort of differently around me, which I like, because now I know who my friends are.

I guess what upsets me the most is the amount of ignorance in people today. They never question anything about their religion, and if someone says anything against their religion, they get all offensive and instantly start judging you like you're some kind of freak.

If you've had a similar experience, please let me know, as i'm still new to these kinds of encounters!

A high school student acting like a high school kid and being jerk? no never had that happen to me Confused Fall
Yeah I had a similar experience, with relatives of course. I said this before in my introduction thread when I first joined the forums but I'll say it again with some elaboration. So it started with a conversation of my gaming usernames like on PlayStation and how it involves things like "dark" and "fatal" with one of my cousins. He brings up that my grandmother would pray for me (as if that will do anything) and asked me if I'm satanic and shit like that but I replied saying I'm not and that I'm actually an atheist. Once I said that, everyone slowly started going against me and my cousin had the nerve to tell me that atheism is a waste of time... Are you fucking kidding me? So living my life and not having an imaginary friend to look up to is a big waste of time? Says the one who goes to church every Sunday and not think for himself nor clearly understand the bible quite well which is laughable because he has one on display in his home.

Of course I didn't say that because then everyone else would start throwing more tantrums and sadly I'm the only atheist in my family. It's kind of sad that people of my kind (Hispanics) are religious.
(April 25, 2014 at 10:17 pm)Dark Fatal Knight Wrote: Yeah I had a similar experience, with relatives of course. I said this before in my introduction thread when I first joined the forums but I'll say it again with some elaboration. So it started with a conversation of my gaming usernames like on PlayStation and how it involves things like "dark" and "fatal" with one of my cousins. He brings up that my grandmother would pray for me (as if that will do anything) and asked me if I'm satanic and shit like that but I replied saying I'm not and that I'm actually an atheist. Once I said that, everyone slowly started going against me and my cousin had the nerve to tell me that atheism is a waste of time... Are you fucking kidding me? So living my life and not having an imaginary friend to look up to is a big waste of time? Says the one who goes to church every Sunday and not think for himself nor clearly understand the bible quite well which is laughable because he has one on display in his home.

Of course I didn't say that because then everyone else would start throwing more tantrums and sadly I'm the only atheist in my family. It's kind of sad that people of my kind (Hispanics) are religious.

Religion in general is sad. People wont take the time to analyze it and use logic and reasoning.
Yep, religion has a way of laying waste to potentially brilliant minds.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheist thinker, or ignorant believer? WinterHold 5 1827 May 20, 2016 at 6:43 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  Classmates Veritas 23 2547 February 2, 2016 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Video Most ignorant thing a Christian has told you Mental Outlaw 64 10730 March 1, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Dealing with ignorant people TruthWorthy 41 22355 December 28, 2009 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: TruthWorthy
  Ignorant Atheists? Brick-top 54 22616 December 3, 2008 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet