Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ignorant Atheists?
Ignorant Atheists?
I've heard from several people in debates that Atheists are logical, open minded, reasonable etc.

I was in a debate with an Atheist over the population of Theists in the Scientific community. He thought roughly 90% of Scientists were Atheistic.

I showed him this:
http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/0...s_god.html

This link shows that 70% of Scientists believed in God. I thought the conversation would be over but he kept making excuses like it was a bias study or they lied and he was practically denying it as if it wasn't there.

Then he made claims saying that all believers are creationists and they think that the Earth is 6000 years old and we're all made in the way we are in the present.

I showed him this:
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA111.html

That link says 0.15% of relevant Scientists are creationists. He kept making more excuses about this too.

I found it astonishing how this person could claim to be logical and then seem to be as closed minded and bigoted as the fanatical creationists he opposes.
RE: Ignorant Atheists?
Those traits are human traits - not specific to one group. It just so happens that people with those traits tend (it would seem), on average, to be religious in one form or another. I've met some self-professed atheists whom are just as resistant to any evidence opposing anything they hold to be true - no matter how solid, convincing or large in amount the evidence was. Every village has its idiot.
(September 4, 2008 at 8:30 pm)Brick-top Wrote: I thought the conversation would be over but he kept making excuses like it was a bias study or they lied and he was practically denying it as if it wasn't there....Then he made claims saying that all believers are creationists and they think that the Earth is 6000 years old and we're all made in the way we are in the present....That link says 0.15% of relevant Scientists are creationists. He kept making more excuses about this too.
I found it astonishing how this person could claim to be logical and then seem to be as closed minded and bigoted as the fanatical creationists he opposes.
I get agravated when I see theists giving extremely bad arguments regarding the existance of God too. As solidsquid said, every village has an idiot. Smile

Pete
(September 4, 2008 at 8:30 pm)Brick-top Wrote: That link says 0.15% of relevant Scientists are creationists. He kept making more excuses about this too.
That survey is wrong. In no way, shape, or form can creationists be called "scientists".
(September 7, 2008 at 9:51 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(September 4, 2008 at 8:30 pm)Brick-top Wrote: That link says 0.15% of relevant Scientists are creationists. He kept making more excuses about this too.
That survey is wrong. In no way, shape, or form can creationists be called "scientists".

Look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creationism...reationism

There are several different types of Creationist.

If they have the PHD, degree etc then they're Scientists. What they believe means jack shit.

You should already know belief DOES NOT interact with Science. They're totally seperate. You can believe in anything and still have the potential to be a Scientists.
Agreed- as soon as a scientist begins to use their own beliefs in their work, it typically ceases to be science. Anyone, however, can do scientific work.
(September 7, 2008 at 4:46 pm)lukec Wrote: Agreed- as soon as a scientist begins to use their own beliefs in their work, it typically ceases to be science. Anyone, however, can do scientific work.

How do you know these scientists use their beliefs in 'their' work?

Ken Ham, Ben Stein, Kent hovind, Kirk Cameron etc DONT have relevent Scientific degrees.

Actually I've seen MANY video's with Creationists and none of them have a PHD or a degree that's relevent.

That's why you only see:

*creationist name* PHD

And they almost never say what field. Actually I have recently seen a Creationist video with a CHEMIST talking about geology and biology.

Unless they submit it to Peer-review their work means nothing.
Calm it. What I said was *clearly* said in jest. People don't get sarcasm on the internet...perhaps I should have put a Tongue
(September 7, 2008 at 6:18 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Calm it. What I said was *clearly* said in jest. People don't get sarcasm on the internet...perhaps I should have put a Tongue

you can't use sarcasm on the internet. The effect is in the sound of the voice.

So ring me and say it AGAIN!
(September 7, 2008 at 4:29 pm)Brick-top Wrote: If they have the PHD, degree etc then they're Scientists. What they believe means jack shit.
I highly disagree. Having a PhD is not a prerequisite to being a scientist. All that I see as being reasonably neccesary is that one formally studied a science in college and has a degree in one of those sciences.

Do you know that Einstein didn't have his PhD when he created special relativity?

Pete

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2192 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheist thinker, or ignorant believer? WinterHold 5 1819 May 20, 2016 at 6:43 am
Last Post: maestroanth
Video Most ignorant thing a Christian has told you Mental Outlaw 64 10718 March 1, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Ignorant Classmates abtaylor 11 2779 May 5, 2014 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  Dealing with ignorant people TruthWorthy 41 22339 December 28, 2009 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: TruthWorthy