Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open DNS Servers
Open DNS Servers
Has anyone ever used them?

Does anyone currently use them?

What has been or is your experience with them?

I have tried them, but they seem to work no better than the ones automatically allocated to the computer.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Open DNS Servers
http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comm...tick_with/

If I remember correctly, just adding an external DNS server will speed things up, but you won't see much change beyond adding Google's external DNS server (8.8.8.8) to your internal DNS.

It really depends if you're using a internal domain vs an internal/external domain.

If you're looking at changing things up on your router, check to see if it's compatible with DD-WRT firmware, and go nuts.
RE: Open DNS Servers
I use Google's as well. They have another on 8.8.4.4 IIRC. I don't like that Comcast's servers redirect you on a failed lookup.
I use Google's 8.8.8.8 server mostly. Works like a charm.
It think Google is eventually is gonna rule over the internet and become the next skynet Big Grin
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
Open DNS Servers
Eventually?
(May 7, 2014 at 9:17 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: Eventually?

I think there is an extra "is" before eventually , my bad.

anyway, I don't understand what are you trying to point out by saying "Eventually?" . care to explain ?
Open DNS Servers
Meant it as a joke, Google is huge. It's almost scary how many pages on the internet have imbedded code tracking visits for Google.
(May 7, 2014 at 11:34 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: Meant it as a joke, Google is huge. It's almost scary how many pages on the internet have imbedded code tracking visits for Google.

yes, indeed . Most of the Ads are Google's , lots of the reliable DNS servers are Google's and all the website admins work on their SEO only for Google search engine. Its like there is not even a serious competition .
Google heavily penalizes SEO.

Your content should be well structured and easy to parse.

Such is compatible with all search engines, thus a Google-only optimization is not needed.

With respect to Ad Exchanges, DMPs and friends, Google is not the only one in the arena. There are quite a few -- Apsalar (DSP), Epsilon and DataLogix immediately come to mind.

Finally, there are plenty of reliable DNS servers to choose from -- Google only owns a few "memorable" IP addresses that makes them seem a lot more prevalent than they really are.

Name servers are EVERYWHERE.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So I got bored today and bought a couple of used servers popeyespappy 10 1783 May 4, 2019 at 8:10 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Servers WinterHold 61 8355 April 11, 2018 at 7:04 am
Last Post: WinterHold