Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Organ transplant debate.
Question 
Organ transplant debate.
So, in 2006, I befriended a young woman with cystic fibrosis, a lung disease. This required her to get a transplant. She is an artist on deviantART, and I commissioned artwork from her.

We got to be friends over the next year and a half, until a falling out. She and I lived in the same state, about 100 miles apart. She was the one that showed me what CF is, and made me aware of organ transplant in general.

I am now an organ donor, FWIW. And I still am attached to CF as a charity cause.

So, today, I was reading a FB page about a young woman in TN that has CF. She is 17, and just switched CF clinics, from Vandy to ET Children's. She is a very religious Christian, and always figures it's God's desire for her to keep "fighting".

Today or yesterday, she was informed by a doctor that her lung function plummeted from 53% to 27% between her admission to ETCH and her ending ties with Vanderbilt. She was told had to make a decision to either go on the transplant list, get a G-tube (for feeding), or die. She chose today to get a G-tube and try to put on enough weight to not be a candidate for transplant, but either way death could still come at any time.

She feels like when it's her time to go, She'll go and when she does, she wants to die with the organs God gave her.

I'mnot even sure why I'm writing about this, but the decision floored me in a way. It's just so...final. And in her case, faith-driven, which kind of caused some unease in my stomach. Granted, she seems very worn out from the fight against CF. And new organs will only last so long. But I think that was the first I had heard about "dying with the organs God gave" us. People like that are not looking at the idea that s/he may still have a lot to give people here on earth.

And, if she's consistent with her decision not to have a lung tx, it seems like she'll also not be a donor after her death, which I find very selfish.

I don't know this person at all, but I just found her outlook kind of...well...interesting?

Not even sure where I'm going with this. Are you all donors? Is there a compelling atheist reason not to?

If this is in the wrong section, mods, please do what you need to.

ETA: her fb. https://www.facebook.com/kennataylor13
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: Organ transplant debate.
(May 8, 2014 at 6:24 pm)c172 Wrote: So, in 2006, I befriended a young woman with cystic fibrosis, a lung disease. This required her to get a transplant. She is an artist on deviantART, and I commissioned artwork from her.

We got to be friends over the next year and a half, until a falling out. She and I lived in the same state, about 100 miles apart. She was the one that showed me what CF is, and made me aware of organ transplant in general.

I am now an organ donor, FWIW. And I still am attached to CF as a charity cause.

So, today, I was reading a FB page about a young woman in TN that has CF. She is 17, and just switched CF clinics, from Vandy to ET Children's. She is a very religious Christian, and always figures it's God's desire for her to keep "fighting".

Today or yesterday, she was informed by a doctor that her lung function plummeted from 53% to 27% between her admission to ETCH and her ending ties with Vanderbilt. She was told had to make a decision to either go on the transplant list, get a G-tube (for feeding), or die. She chose today to get a G-tube and try to put on enough weight to not be a candidate for transplant, but either way death could still come at any time.

She feels like when it's her time to go, She'll go and when she does, she wants to die with the organs God gave her.

I'mnot even sure why I'm writing about this, but the decision floored me in a way. It's just so...final. And in her case, faith-driven, which kind of caused some unease in my stomach. Granted, she seems very worn out from the fight against CF. And new organs will only last so long. But I think that was the first I had heard about "dying with the organs God gave" us. People like that are not looking at the idea that s/he may still have a lot to give people here on earth.

And, if she's consistent with her decision not to have a lung tx, it seems like she'll also not be a donor after her death, which I find very selfish.

I don't know this person at all, but I just found her outlook kind of...well...interesting?

Not even sure where I'm going with this. Are you all donors? Is there a compelling atheist reason not to?

If this is in the wrong section, mods, please do what you need to.

How does she know that it isn't God's will to have advanced medical science and talented doctors prolong her life?

And people wonder why self delusion is dangerous.

What if she was making this decision about her 12 year old daughter instead of herself?

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
As I see it, you bring up two only tangentially related issues of personal choice.

(1) Do I want to undergo organ transplant to extend my life? Or, put in another way "What medical procedures am I willing to go to prolong my life?

(2) What are the ethics surrounding whether or not one ought to be an organ donor?

They're both intensely personal issues - and from my perspective, they are choices that we all ought to be free to make. I'm an organ donor, but I would not deem it ethical to force someone to do so.

In addressing issue (1), while some may find her reasoning flawed, it is still her choice to make regardless. I have an advance directive that instructs my representative to withhold consent to certain procedures should I become incapable of indicating consent on my own. My reasons for doing so are irrelevant - they are mine and mine alone, as is the choice. That mine have to do with quality of life issues, and hers spiritual beliefs seems to me a non-issue.

She wants to die on her own terms. She should be allowed to.
I feel bad for her reasoning, because it is delusional but it is her choice. I am a donor. I doubt I have a ton of healthy ones to donate, but if I don't need 'em I don't see why I should keep them, and don't quite understand why anyone would willingly reject them unless they just wanted to die. The god thing is just..wow. She's too young to be thinking like that, and if she fought a few years more then she might have an eye opener and convert into someone that no longer believes in the god she did when she was a kid. Oh well.
I've never held much value in my body after I'm done with it. I'm a donor. Let someone use what they can when I die, and get rid of the rest in the cheapest way possible.

I've never really talked about organ donations much, and I haven't heard of people wanting to keep the organs god gave them. Personally I think it would be a shame to be buried with parts that could be used to help others. I'd never say kill me for my organs, but when I'm god and done you can take what you want. Heart, bone marrow, kidneys, lungs, skin, liver, whatever science can preserve and use to help people with. I'm all for it. Take what you want, and use the rest for compost.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

On the point of Donation, Wales is currently changing legislation to presume consent upon death. This is something I'm deeply uncomfortable with - the state should not assume ownership of people, we aren't slaves and prompts me to consider withholding donation on principle.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
Her choice, I wouldn't make the same one.
But I respect her right to make this one.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I'm an organ donor. I'm giving them everything.
Even if my organs are past helping anyone, I can still be chopped up by doctors for practice.
:-)
What's equally important in my opinion is being a blood donor.
As far as I know, stocks are always low, everywhere.
That's true! Seems like they're always advertising a need for blood products. Plus, all the time on those ER documenaries, it seems like you hear about pts. going through huge amounts of blood for a surgery or an accident, etc.

I have medical issues that complicate my giving blood products, but when I am deceased, I would be honored to have my body used, first for organ harvesting, then for academic use.

God's a bit of a kook if He doesn't want Kenna (the girl in the link) to stick around. He doesn't need her back "home".
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(May 9, 2014 at 6:30 am)Mr Greene Wrote: On the point of Donation, Wales is currently changing legislation to presume consent upon death. This is something I'm deeply uncomfortable with - the state should not assume ownership of people, we aren't slaves and prompts me to consider withholding donation on principle.

You aren't a person after you die. You're an object. Granted, an object that should belong to your family first and foremost, but an object nonetheless.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where to Debate Theists? Cephus 27 5854 April 13, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Has the Atheism vs. Theism debate played it's course? MJ the Skeptical 49 10731 August 12, 2016 at 8:43 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate? Nuda900 11 4051 February 28, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: abaris
  A great atheist debate video. Jehanne 0 1182 February 14, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What you see when you win a religious debate... x3 IanHulett 15 5160 October 20, 2015 at 7:45 am
Last Post: robvalue
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5387 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Dawkins' Debate Rejections Shuffle 46 11181 August 28, 2015 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Dawkins explains why he wont debate William Lane Craig Justtristo 45 11082 June 29, 2015 at 3:00 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Anyone want to debate this formally with me? Mystic 37 8279 November 5, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Sye Ten debate tactics tor 26 9074 April 14, 2014 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: JuliaL