Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to Debate Theists?
Where to Debate Theists?
I know this is a stupid question, but is there anywhere to go to debate theists that isn't just a complete waste of time, either because of the quality of theist, or the bias of the forum?  I have yet to find anywhere that has intelligent theists, or worse, where the deck isn't stacked completely in the favor of theists, such that you're not allowed to question their beliefs, but they can attack you all day long.  I'm pretty sure such a place doesn't exist, but I figured I'd ask.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!
RE: Where to Debate Theists?
Youtube
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(April 10, 2017 at 1:29 pm)Jesster Wrote: Youtube

You have a cruel sense of humor
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 10, 2017 at 1:27 pm)Cephus Wrote: I know this is a stupid question, but is there anywhere to go to debate theists that isn't just a complete waste of time, either because of the quality of theist, or the bias of the forum?  I have yet to find anywhere that has intelligent theists, or worse, where the deck isn't stacked completely in the favor of theists, such that you're not allowed to question their beliefs, but they can attack you all day long.  I'm pretty sure such a place doesn't exist, but I figured I'd ask.

Out of curiosity, do you think that atheists and theists debating one another makes sense?  From my observations here, both sides seem to use terms differently.  For example, to my knowledge, regarding evidence, some theists (Christian) have written that they consider the NT, observations of reality, and their personal experiences with god as evidence of its existence, whereas some atheists have written that actual data that can stand up to the scientific scrutiny of repeated tests (conducted by different teams of qualified individuals) that yield the same results would be regarded as evidence for its existence.  Hence, how can one engage in a meaningful debate if both sides are applying different definitions to key terms that are at the heart of the debate?

Rather than a debate, would an open dialog between atheists and theists (assuming they wanted to participate) be helpful in clarifying misunderstandings and enabling both sides to learn more about the other?

Min's house.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 10, 2017 at 1:27 pm)Cephus Wrote: I know this is a stupid question, but is there anywhere to go to debate theists that isn't just a complete waste of time, either because of the quality of theist, or the bias of the forum?  I have yet to find anywhere that has intelligent theists, or worse, where the deck isn't stacked completely in the favor of theists, such that you're not allowed to question their beliefs, but they can attack you all day long.  I'm pretty sure such a place doesn't exist, but I figured I'd ask.

Why, do you have an argument that hasn't been addressed a thousand times before?
Why not right here? I can't guarantee the quality of the theist, but at least there are some.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
You must debate them on the seas and oceans, you must debate with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, you must defend our reality, whatever the cost may be. You must debate on the beaches, on the landing grounds, in the fields and in the streets, .. you must never surrender!

Seriously you might try debating with Catholic_Lady over the propriety of toilet humor on the internet.
(April 10, 2017 at 4:18 pm)Whateverist Wrote: You must debate them on the seas and oceans, you must debate with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, you must defend our reality, whatever the cost may be. You must debate on the beaches, on the landing grounds, in the fields and in the streets, .. you must never surrender!

Seriously you might try debating with Catholic_Lady over the propriety of toilet humor on the internet.

Forsome reason you just reminded me of a cartoon I saw once.  Might have even been from a Mad magazine I found somewhere (second hand shop?).  Churchill gives his grand speech and then someone taps him on the shoulder and says, "How about we fight them in Germany?"
Dying to live, living to die.
(April 10, 2017 at 1:29 pm)Jesster Wrote: Youtube

Nope, the theists on YouTube are just as idiotic as they are everywhere else.  Plus, if you go after someone, YouTube just demonetizes your video or declares it hate speech.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has the Atheism vs. Theism debate played it's course? MJ the Skeptical 49 10690 August 12, 2016 at 8:43 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate? Nuda900 11 4037 February 28, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: abaris
  A great atheist debate video. Jehanne 0 1179 February 14, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What you see when you win a religious debate... x3 IanHulett 15 5154 October 20, 2015 at 7:45 am
Last Post: robvalue
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5382 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Dawkins' Debate Rejections Shuffle 46 11110 August 28, 2015 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Dawkins explains why he wont debate William Lane Craig Justtristo 45 11021 June 29, 2015 at 3:00 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Anyone want to debate this formally with me? Mystic 37 8274 November 5, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
Question Organ transplant debate. c172 14 4116 May 11, 2014 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Sye Ten debate tactics tor 26 9060 April 14, 2014 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: JuliaL