Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reasons to despise " god " ( in the almost zero possibility of he/she/its existence )
Reasons to despise " god " ( in the almost zero possibility of he/she/its existence )
Christians consider this and feel free to respond.
Fellow atheists might like to add their reasons to the thread!

I live a decent, secular life...I harm nobody and live within the law. I'm a normal, decent bloke.
I do not believe in god(s ) and everything that goes with such a belief.

Now then, let us consider a different individual, let's say a serial killer, who, after conviction and perhaps awaiting execution, " finds God ".

As I understand it, the serial killer would be welcomed by " God" into the hereafter, whereas I would be packed off to the other place for denying he/she/its existence and not wishing to fall down to my knees worshiping such a vain beast.

Reason 1 to despise!
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
RE: Reasons to despise " god " ( in the almost zero possibility of he/she/its existence )
I'd agree with you if every religion and denomination would work that way, but they don't all do that.

If anything the notion of punishment after death is much stronger with theists then atheists. After all, when we die, we assume it is over (apart from the atheists believing in re-incarnation of course). No hell, no punishment.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: Reasons to despise " god " ( in the almost zero possibility of he/she/its existen
(October 31, 2008 at 9:12 am)leo-rcc Wrote: I'd agree with you if every religion and denomination would work that way, but they don't all do that.

If anything the notion of punishment after death is much stronger with theists then atheists. After all, when we die, we assume it is over (apart from the atheists believing in re-incarnation of course). No hell, no punishment.
Yeah, and for example, Christians interpret the bible differently, so there are Christians who don't believe bozos example of course. There are Christians who although believing in God they still think moral goodness as a whole is the bible's message. And a more important part of the bible than the whole "believe" thing, although they would probably take that very seriously too of course.
RE: Reasons to despise " god " ( in the almost zero possibility of he/she/its existen
(October 31, 2008 at 9:24 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:
(October 31, 2008 at 9:12 am)leo-rcc Wrote: I'd agree with you if every religion and denomination would work that way, but they don't all do that.

Yeah, and for example, Christians interpret the bible differently, so there are Christians who don't believe bozos example of course. There are Christians who although believing in God they still think moral goodness as a whole is the bible's message. And a more important part of the bible than the whole "believe" thing, although they would probably take that very seriously too of course.

With respect guys, I think you miss my point, which is that a serial killer ( pretty heavy? ) will be pardoned and welcomed by " god " despite the heinous crimes committed, whereas someone who doesn't accept " god " will be damned despite being innocent of any heavy stuff. It pisses me right off when I read reports of all those convicted of crimes who promptly " find god " as soon as they go inside.
The conclusion to be drawn is that " god " welcomes anyone prepared to worship him/her/it above anything else.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
RE: Reasons to despise " god " ( in the almost zero possibility of he/she/its existence )
Ah, I see what you mean now. And I still don't agree. Smile

Serial Killers going to jail and finding god because jail plays tricks on their already warped minds. And a fair bit of Pascal's wager goes into the equation as well I suppose. I very much doubt a superskydaddy would fall for that trick.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(October 31, 2008 at 5:49 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: Ah, I see what you mean now. And I still don't agree. Smile

Serial Killers going to jail and finding god because jail plays tricks on their already warped minds. And a fair bit of Pascal's wager goes into the equation as well I suppose. I very much doubt a superskydaddy would fall for that trick.

I don't fully understand your answer but if you don't agree is "god" off the hook?
I know i got an error in that first bit. But basically what I am saying is that is "god" existed you both wouldn't get into heaven and both go to hell.

Him for the killings.
You four doubting him.

So start praying us Pastafarians are right. Smile
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
(October 31, 2008 at 6:48 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: I know i got an error in that first bit. But basically what I am saying is that is "god" existed you both wouldn't get into heaven and both go to hell.

Him for the killings.
You four doubting him.

So start praying us Pastafarians are right. Smile

Hmmm. I don't care about the hell bit, but the repentants will be well pissed off........................if you are right!
Still despise the idea.
He's insinuating that a jail isn't exactly a healthy thinktank, and a lot of deathrow conversions have more to do with Pascal's Wager, which an omnipotent lord wouldn't fall for, than spiritualism.

It's also worth noting that several Christian sects don't believe in the whole 'Hell' and 'eternal punishment' business, but instead think that those who haven't accepted Christ will simple be 'annihilated', which is actually like a common atheist view on nothing happeneing after death.

The clincher is that living with Christ in his kingdom will be some awesome than annihilation seems like torture in contrast. It's wacky.
(October 31, 2008 at 6:54 pm)Meatball Wrote: He's insinuating that a jail isn't exactly a healthy thinktank, and a lot of deathrow conversions have more to do with Pascal's Wager, which an omnipotent lord wouldn't fall for, than spiritualism.

It's also worth noting that several Christian sects don't believe in the whole 'Hell' and 'eternal punishment' business, but instead think that those who haven't accepted Christ will simple be 'annihilated', which is actually like a common atheist view on nothing happeneing after death.

The clincher is that living with Christ in his kingdom will be some awesome than annihilation seems like torture in contrast. It's wacky.
ty Meatball, a reply I understand 100%!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1771 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4088 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 10796 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence blue grey brain 15 1867 January 2, 2019 at 11:08 pm
  Petition to rename "communion wafers" to Jeez-its! Foxaèr 26 3218 October 9, 2018 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  How you know religion has done its job in brainwashing you: Foxaèr 19 2752 August 9, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3275 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 6890 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  pons ibi lity for it, she wo gimunepipa 6 766 March 12, 2018 at 8:31 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 84176 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire