Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly an Atheist's Thought?
Possibly an Atheist's Thought?
It is Sunday morning. Saturday is gone, I can't get that back. That means one less day of existence. My finite life just got a day shorter. My life is one week shorter that last Sunday. Each day just keeps zipping by. I thought I knew so much, there is so much more to learn. Where has my life gone? Where did the time go, the years, the decades? This world can be so disappointing and difficult, then when that fateful day comes, that's it. I mean, that's the end, no more me, gone forever. Into the ground I go, no more life, just a memory. In a couple of generations I probably won't even be remembered. Its kinda sad.

But what if there really is a God? What if indeed when I die I have consciousness? What if I see God? What if I am wrong? What if God exists?

Even if you feel you are 99.99% sure there is no God, are you willing to risk your eternal destiny if that .01% chance it may be true?
RE: Possibly an Atheist's Thought?
(May 11, 2014 at 12:25 am)Revelation777 Wrote: Even if you feel you are 99.99% sure there is no God, are you willing to risk your eternal destiny if that .01% chance it may be true?

Absofuckinglutely.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 11, 2014 at 12:25 am)Revelation777 Wrote: Even if you feel you are 99.99% sure there is no God, are you willing to risk your eternal destiny if that .01% chance it may be true?

Even if you feel you are 99.99% sure that Ba-el is not the one true God, are you willing to risk your eternal destiny if that 0.1% chance it may be true?
NOT logic:
1. Claim to have logic
2. Throw a tantrum when asked to present it
3. Claim you've already presented it
4. Repeat step 1

*Rampant.A.I.'s quote
(May 11, 2014 at 12:28 am)Kitanetos Wrote:

Absofuckinglutely.

I could weep over you.
Hang in there. It gets better. Think about what you can do now. Eternity can wait.
(May 11, 2014 at 12:34 am)Revelation777 Wrote: I could weep over you.

Feel free to cry while I laugh. Cool Shades
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 11, 2014 at 12:33 am)eyemixer Wrote: Even if you feel you are 99.99% sure that Ba-el is not the one true God, are you willing to risk your eternal destiny if that 0.1% chance it may be true?

It's very important that you answer this question, Rev.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Quote:Even if you feel you are 99.99% sure there is no God, are you willing to risk your eternal destiny if that .01% chance it may be true?

This was an idiotic wager when Pascal uttered it, and it is an idiotic wager now. Hell, Marcus Aurelius solved this one 15 centuries before Pascal was even a gleam in the milkman's eye.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:But what if there really is a God? What if indeed when I die I have consciousness? What if I see God? What if I am wrong? What if God exists?

What if there really is a God and you chose the wrong one? What if, every-time you pray, attend Church and whatever else you do, you are pissing her off even more?

I'm guessing that thought never enters your head.

Life's too short to worry about long shot possibilities, maybes and what-ifs.

Anyway - Quantum Wave theory tells us there is no afterlife.

So no worries.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!

Rev, serious question: how much time have you spent worrying about the hells of other religions? It's probably not much, is it?

Then do you see how ridiculous it is to ask an atheist this question?

And honestly, you're going to have to do better than "if you're wrong, something bad is gonna happen to you!" here. Doesn't it bother you at all that your tactics are basically the same as a standover man for the mafia?

Also, the title of the thread, and your first paragraph: don't you think it says more about you than it does about us? See, what that tells me is that your life is so devoid of good things that without your god you'd do nothing but feel the rushing of time passing you by, and that's a little sad. Personally, I have lots of things that interest me enough to be enjoyable, so I live for the time I have, rather than mourning the time that's passed. I don't wish to share in your strawman idea of what an atheist thinks, no matter how useful it is in reinforcing the beliefs you already have.

I don't even think you really believe any of what you said there, but I know it's easier to just pretend atheists are these hopeless, depressed cartoon characters, rather than consider for even a second whether or not they might have a point. Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1665 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thought experiement# 117. The measure of man. ignoramus 12 1013 January 31, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 950 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Thought police? ignoramus 51 6606 April 6, 2018 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Shell B
  #1 Thought experiment - "The Trolley Problem" ErGingerbreadMandude 108 12397 May 20, 2016 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Athene
  Inspirational thought of the day Heat 33 6178 November 17, 2015 at 10:49 am
Last Post: brewer
  Omniscience: A thought experiment noctalla 58 7890 April 26, 2015 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Critical thought is hard urlawyer 56 11143 April 19, 2015 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Does Deep Thought Lead to God? Here's a Shallow Answer Jenny A 31 5183 September 10, 2014 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  A thought experiment: The rainbow temple Escherscurtain 19 4305 August 8, 2014 at 9:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus