Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible explanation of supernatural religious visitations
Possible explanation of supernatural religious visitations
I just though that perhaps the claims that the religious figures in the bible and koran could have been telling the truth. Hold up, take a step back, this isn't what you think. I'm thinking along the lines of sleep paralysis.

Yeah! We've all had it before. You're sleeping and then you suddenly become conscious. Just one problem: Your brain doesn't disengage that part that stops you from acting out your dreams. So now you've got no control of your body. You can't move. You feel like there's an incredible pressure on your body. You try to scream but a petty little squeek comes out. In the corner of your eye you see an ominous figure.

Your brain thinks you're still sleeping but you're not. Some people see "shadow men" and others see alien greys. The list goes on and on. These things people see during sleep paralysis sometimes talk to them. I've heard someone say they usually threaten him. Now what are the chances that Mary or Joseph was having sleep paralysis when they saw these angels? I believe scripture paints a scene where these visions are experienced right before or after sleeping. It is believed that Mohammed got a visitation from the angel Gabriel. What if he too was having an episode of sleep paralysis. These angelic visitations are often experienced by an individual and not by a group. Hmm...strong case?
8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
RE: Possible explanation of supernatural religious visitations
In the end, no matter how one prefers to color it up with semantic language, it is still delusion.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
It's plausible but I think most of them had schizophrenia.
(May 12, 2014 at 3:14 pm)KUSA Wrote: It's plausible but I think most of them had schizophrenia.

I think most of them never existed in the first place.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Maybe they were using LSD-laced postage stamps?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 12, 2014 at 2:37 pm)BlackMason Wrote: I just though that perhaps the claims that the religious figures in the bible and koran could have been telling the truth. Hold up, take a step back, this isn't what you think. I'm thinking along the lines of sleep paralysis.

I think they are mostly just lying attention whores who took advantage of religiously promoted gullibility in society at large.

(May 12, 2014 at 3:14 pm)KUSA Wrote: It's plausible but I think most of them had schizophrenia.

Native Americans have extremely low rate of genetic predisposition towards schizophrenia compared to Euroasians. Can that be correlated to a significantly lower rate of putative supernatural religious visitations?
I'm very interested in the neuroscience of religious belief. Here's an interesting idea -

Why revelations have occurred on mountains? Linking mystical experiences and cognitive neuroscience.

Quote:The fundamental revelations to the founders of the three monotheistic religions, among many other revelation experiences, had occurred on a mountain. These three revelation experiences share many phenomenological components like feeling and hearing a presence, seeing a figure, seeing lights, and feeling of fear. In addition, similar experiences have been reported by non-mystic contemporary mountaineers. The similarities between these revelations on mountains and their appearance in contemporary mountaineers suggest that exposure to altitude might affect functional and neural mechanisms, thus facilitating the experience of a revelation. Different functions relying on brain areas such as the temporo-parietal junction and the prefrontal cortex have been suggested to be altered in altitude. Moreover, acute and chronic hypoxia significantly affect the temporo-parietal junction and the prefrontal cortex and both areas have also been linked to altered own body perceptions and mystical experiences. Prolonged stay at high altitudes, especially in social deprivation, may also lead to prefrontal lobe dysfunctions such as low resistance to stress and loss of inhibition. Based on these phenomenological, functional, and neural findings we suggest that exposure to altitudes might contribute to the induction of revelation experiences and might further our understanding of the mountain metaphor in religion.

There's no real evidence that Moses, Jesus or, it seems, even Muhammed existed but that doesn't really matter in this context. People having odd experiences up mountains would have led to the idea that mountains were the place to go in order to have revelations from deities or supernatural messengers. Legends about religions' founders had mountains included for this reason.

(May 12, 2014 at 3:21 pm)Chuck Wrote: Native Americans have extremely low rate of genetic predisposition towards schizophrenia compared to Euroasians. Can that be correlated to a significantly lower rate of putative supernatural religious visitations?

Native Americans had, and still have, their own their own traditions for religious visions.

Vision Quest Traditions
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
I usually have issues with people trying to force innocent explanations for religious frauds when willful and cunning deceit seems more plausible and more consistent with human nature.

I think revelations tend to be said to have been received on mountains for more pragmatic reasons:

1. Mountains are high and therefore closer to any putative daddy in the sky. So clamountain seem to set a good dramatic stage for the fraud to come.

2. Mountains are sparsely populated, so there will be less chance of someone saying "No, you didn't, I saw you while you claim to have been taking to a burning bush"

3. Mountains often have long standing association with spirits and the supernatural, dating to long before the alledged reception of revelations. So mountains lends a pre-fabricated air of mysticism to the fraud.
On the other hand, they could simply have been delusional fuckwits.
Quote:Native Americans had, and still have, their own their own traditions for religious visions.

Vision Quest Traditions

Exactly. I think religious visions tend not to be attributable to simple innocent explanations like mental disease. They tend to be reflective either of outright fraud by the individual involved, or are the cummulative effect of social malaise.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to select which supernatural to believe? Fake Messiah 208 13343 November 26, 2022 at 1:30 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  Explanation Required by the 12 guys? + the secret. Ferrocyanide 26 1758 December 20, 2021 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Evolutionary explanation of religion cyber_freddy 33 2665 December 25, 2020 at 6:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Possible Connection Between Egyptian Religion And FSM BrianSoddingBoru4 6 1141 December 10, 2017 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2797 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Possible and impossible KUSA 19 2909 February 27, 2016 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  possible origins of islam (higher criticism scholars/ history nuts welcome) Psychonaut 18 5470 August 6, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Isn't it at least possible that God isn't a prude? Whateverist 14 3535 July 11, 2015 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  possible answer to why you should believe jeroenymo 65 11468 October 23, 2014 at 10:22 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is "supernatural"? Ryantology 28 3789 May 12, 2014 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Whateverist