Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
possible origins of islam (higher criticism scholars/ history nuts welcome)
possible origins of islam (higher criticism scholars/ history nuts welcome)
Greetings,

I've been mulling over a theory lately, could it be that Islam has it's origins what would now be considered Syria/Lebanon? 
This piqued my interest when I had heard of historians discussing other possible areas for Mecca (which is refered to as both Makkah and Bakkah in the Quran), as the traditional site Isn't suitable for agriculture, but an area with the same name is (which is ultimately what got my brain ticking).  

Within the Beqaa valley in Lebanon, A place called Bakka seemed reasonable, this area was also mentioned in the bible (psalm 84:6) as הַ֭בָּכָא. A lot of early islamic history has it's place in Syria, with an unusually silent bunch of Christian and Jewish historians on the word "Islam", plenty of stuff about the Saracens, and the Hagarenes, and some references to Mamed (Mohammed) never too much on something specifically called Islam, not until later (around the period after Abd al Malik). 

I would expect someone like John of Damascus (who was a supposed chief administrator for a caliph) to mention something about the word Islam, but he doesn't (at least nothing that I'm aware of, please correct me if I'm wrong) . In conjunction, I've tried tying together the other areas to see if it would fit, and it seemed to. Iram of the pillars (Iram is mentioned as a son of Edom in the bible [A region that would refer to modern day Jordan] Possibly as Wadi Rum), and among other areas. 
I can't really find much on Yathrib (apparently called Iatribu in the Nabonidus chronicle, and Iathrippa by Ptolemy, but this may not be accurate)

So that's basically it, I consider the Mecca of the Quran, as traditionally located in Saudi Arabia untenable in light of geographic evidence, and suggest a fertile area of the same name in the Levant, among other bits of evidence. This post was more a jumbled mess of ideas, than a thesis of some kind, which I thought I'd put out there for an interesting discussion. 

I'd like your thoughts on this, as I'm an amateur, and would like to hear some feedback. 

Cheers
RE: possible origins of islam (higher criticism scholars/ history nuts welcome)
Quote:I've been mulling over a theory lately, could it be that Islam has it's origins what would now be considered Syria/Lebanon?

Didn't Tom Holland write an entire book on this very subject? If I remember rightly, In The Shadow of the Sword is the book that discusses this. Also, you can watch a documentary featuring him, Islam - The Untold Story, by visiting the below link.

https://vimeo.com/79051482
(in the description of the video you can find links to a talk he did about the documentary)

I suggest you read Robert Spencer's "Did Mohammed Exist?"  The muslims go birdshit over it but they go birdshit over almost everything so that is no barrier.
I personally suspect Islam draws considerably from the Nestorianism that was known to Muhammad, as the contents of the Qu'ran bare a similar resemblance to some of the proto-gospels and epistles that were known in Arabia at the time.

If Muhammad wasn't inspired by them then whoever put pen to paper and jotted down the Qu'ran probably was. I see it as a heretical offshoot of Christianity, on the same level as the Mormons and the Moonies.

Joseph Smith is the prime example of how a village idiot come con man can twist the words in a book or even concoct his own to lead people in a religious frenzy. Sun Myung Moon did it a century later as well. I'm not sure why it should be any great surprise to discover that Beduin could manage it in the eighth century either.
(June 25, 2015 at 12:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I suggest you read Robert Spencer's "Did Mohammed Exist?"  The muslims go birdshit over it but they go birdshit over almost everything so that is no barrier.

I've not read that book. Robert may make some good points but I've always been put off by his bigotry. Also, this a good website for those interested:
http://nabataea.net/joke.html

The changing direction of the Qibla is discussed there. The website provides markers to put on Google maps so you can see that Mosques have not always faced in the direction of Mecca. The book promoted by that website, Quranic Geography, might be another good read.

You are not going to find criticisms of islam at a site called isuckedallahscock.com

The trick is to evaluate the evidence provided and Spencer provides much.  He also cites his sources some of whom are islamic scholars who are forced to write under pseudonyms because the adherents of the religion of peace would kill them for their opinions.

I have an epub version of the book.  If you'd like it, PM an email address.
(June 25, 2015 at 1:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: You are not going to find criticisms of islam at a site called isuckedallahscock.com

The trick is to evaluate the evidence provided and Spencer provides much.  He also cites his sources some of whom are islamic scholars who are forced to write under pseudonyms because the adherents of the religion of peace would kill them for their opinions.

I have an epub version of the book.  If you'd like it, PM an email address.

Yes, I'd like that. I will send you a message shortly. If Robert Spencer is as detailed as you claim then it should be an interesting read for sure.

Evaluate Spencer by the level of outrage that he provokes in muslims.
(June 27, 2015 at 11:42 am)Minimalist Wrote: Evaluate Spencer by the level of outrage that he provokes in muslims.

Lots of people provoke outrage amoungst religious people but I don't think that we should use that as a, for lack of a better word, barometer, even if it is normally a good indicator of truth. We must remember that, George Bush and Tony Blair provoked much more outrage than Robert Spencer but I'm sure we can agree that they are surely full of excrement. I am sure his book, as you say, contains lots of interesting information so I will certainly give it a go.

(June 27, 2015 at 11:42 am)Minimalist Wrote: Evaluate Spencer by the level of outrage that he provokes in muslims.

It does not take much effort to provoke muslims just draw a cartoon and they all go ape shit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Origins of hell? Rdougall 10 1456 February 8, 2023 at 9:36 am
Last Post: brewer
  Can God be objectively good despite criticism against Him/Her/It? Ahriman 80 6674 May 29, 2022 at 11:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What book has the most history? georgecarlin 43 5604 May 13, 2019 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The origins of Mesopotamian monotheism. Brian37 20 2966 March 19, 2019 at 11:52 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Is this woman nuts? brewer 37 4711 February 15, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Possible Connection Between Egyptian Religion And FSM BrianSoddingBoru4 6 1141 December 10, 2017 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  When does biblical history begin ? possibletarian 59 22372 November 24, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  Am I Nuts? I like Bruce Lee. drfuzzy 26 6514 July 27, 2017 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Video Is the generally accepted version of history a faith based religion? trustyoursources 47 5128 March 25, 2017 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  You're welcome. Mystic 26 4416 March 1, 2017 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis