Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, my story
Hi, my story
Figured I'd share my story if anyone was interested.

My father came from a really really strict french catholic family (one of my middle names is Joseph for example). However he did not practice his religion much as an adult so as a kid I never attended church. As someone who was interested in science and knowledge as a teenager I quickly came to the realization how bogus religious institutions were as young as age 12-14. With a select few friends I made fun of religions growing up, finally talking to my non-religious mom in late teens sometime. I refused to attend the best school (for me as in ice hockey-wise) in Edmonton (where I was living at the time) since it was a Christian School and I knew I'd never be able to pass the religion class since I'd be snickering and arguing the teacher the entire time. That was status quo for quite some time.

As I grew older and my knowledge base grew my atheism only grew. I've dealt with lots of personal issues in my life but that's one thing that's never faltered. Just in the few months have I really come into my own realizing I need to "own up" to atheism though. So since then I've been getting involved with atheist communinties and "came out" to my friends. This has now labeled me as the "atheist guy".

So last winter at 24 I finally talked to my dad about it. His response was the most patronizing thing every person indoctrinated believes. He says he was "as strong" in atheist beliefs as me at my age but now he's seen the light of god. He doesn't/can't believe that a non-belief is a real thing, it's just a phase. So while he doesn't believe in the word for word part of the bible, I mean it's just so clear that the world had a higher power anyone who doesn't believe is just acting out. Unfortunately at the time I was ill equipped to deal with his arguments. I know now more articulate arguments for what I instinctively knew to be true but at the time it was frustrating explaining to him the burden of proof. I quickly realized my mom only wanted to keep peace. My dad kept wanting me to explain how I KNEW god didn't exist, when that's not at all what I was trying to say. Listening to Matt Dillahunty, Richard Dawkins and others has really helped me to understand how to convey my points.

Still I remain on an island as the "atheist guy" with friends. Even friends who make fun of Christianity and the idea of god(s) with me in private in public view me on this island. It's frustrating that otherwise logical and sensible human beings feel the need to cling to this fantasy, at least in public, in order to be accepted or feel their lives "have purpose".

I'm hoping for the day when "coming out" as an atheist is the social norm not as a ridiculed minority. As people get smarter I know the day will come, but it's still frustrating for me today.

Anyways thanks to anyone who read that entire rant. Hope to chat with you all soon.
RE: Hi, my story
I hope by being here you'll feel like you found the other side of the island, where there are babyques every day. Welcome Smile
I'm hoping for the day when people are automatically assumed to be atheist and if you have to "come out" it's because you have goofy religious views. Hopefully when that day comes, people will see theists as amusing and eccentric and nothing more.
Anyways, welcome to the forum Smile
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
"No man is an island"

- John Donne

Welcome aboard.
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
(May 16, 2014 at 4:02 pm)Losty Wrote: I'm hoping for the day when people are automatically assumed to be atheist and if you have to "come out" it's because you have goofy religious views. Hopefully when that day comes, people will see theists as amusing and eccentric and nothing more.

Not far from how it is here. Religion is mostly for the old and weird. Unfortunately the old folks run the place, for now..

Welcome Holden Big Grin
Sounds like its time to get off the island.

Welcome.
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Hello. Hope you enjoy the forum.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
My mom thought it was a "phase" too. That was almost 20 years ago.

Anywho be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.
Welcome Enjoy the forum.

Many people told me that once I grew older, I'd believe again. Well, 20 years later I'm still waiting for such revelation.

The crux of this is the obvious leeching by religion of people hard times and suffering. I suffered alot and still an atheist. They should be more honest and just ask people to trade a comforting lie for a harsh truth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello from south florida! My coming out story... FollowingFeynman89 7 791 May 15, 2023 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Kingpin
  Funny and humiliating deconversion story nickbarca 6 597 October 14, 2020 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Story of Dance Dancefortwo 15 1314 September 28, 2018 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Doc's story, take 2 Dr H 15 1501 September 27, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Just joined – here's my story! GeorgiasTelescope 20 4110 June 25, 2017 at 4:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  My conversion story A Handmaid 9 1637 September 8, 2016 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  My Story lkomza 12 1232 July 16, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Hello everyone....a friendly, new Atheist's story LovingBeing 16 3306 December 28, 2014 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Hi, this is my story KentuckySkeptic224 32 6360 October 2, 2014 at 3:22 am
Last Post: Losty
  My embarassing story and a favor dsquared 8 2673 June 10, 2014 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Napoléon