Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello everyone....a friendly, new Atheist's story
Hello everyone....a friendly, new Atheist's story
Hello to everyone here at this forum. My name is Marco Antonio and I am a 42 year old half Latino, half European male from California. I grew up in a very strong, Roman Catholic family from both of my parents. Regardless of that, I grew up physically abused by my father, and by a mother who abandoned me at one time, with my younger brother and sister, because she met a new guy who was a drug dealer, and was too high to think clearly, at the time.

I grew up as a very curious child, although I was diagnosed with attention deficit disorder, growing up. My curiosities always got me into a lot of trouble but I never meant any intended harm by them. I just had a fascination with how things work, especially mechanical things. I remember throwing a metal Tonka truck into my mom's 1963 Frigidaire washing machine, given to her by her parents, after the birth of myself. I wanted to see what it would "do" because it agitated in a vertical, up and down motion, instead of the standard rotational agitation. I certainly learned after I heard the loudest explosion, from the machine, in our kitchen.

I always felt out of place because I was shamed by my family for my curiosities, and by my father constantly beating me daily. I never understood why my mother never allowed me to tell anyone what my father was doing to me. She used to tell me that if anyone asked about why I had marks and bruises on my body, to either say that I fell off my bike, or that I tripped down the porch steps of our home.

During this time, I was going to Catholic Cathechism on weekends, while I was in elementary school, to do all the traditional Catholic blessings and behaviors, like making my First Confession and my First Communion. It was during this time I noticed, that instead of developing romantic feelings for girls, I was developing them for the same sex. This confused me because I did not understand why, and being Catholic, I prayed and prayed for Jesus to make me become heterosexual, to no avail.

Jumping to the present, at 42, I still have trouble accepting my sexuality, because I feel I live my life so differently than most people think of stereotypically gay men. I am a man who happens to believe in monogamy for myself, personally. I live my life almost identical to the average heterosexual male, except that I love another male, instead of female. I have no desires to be feminine in anyway and I am very private about my life. I grew up playing sports and because of my curiosity of mechanical things and the way they work, commercial airliners became one of my passions. I also became interested in the medical sciences, as well as, dentistry, music production, songwriting, etc.

I became an atheist just 3 weeks ago, because of all the hurt and pain, that hate from religion, has caused in my life. No one really knows about my sexuality, and most people will tell you they think I am heterosexual, so I have not had any problem from other people about it. The problem has been psychological. I became severely suicidal because I hated being gay. I could not understand how a loving god, would consider me as sinning against him, when all I want to do is love someone. I just wanted to have that one monogamous love, that few are lucky to find.....and to love that person, care for them, go through the good and bad, but stay faithful, and take care of each other, loving one another, until our precious time of life is over.

I researched the Bible, religion, homosexuality, the causes of homosexuality, even the side of the new gay Christian movement. I wanted to know why loving someone of the same sex would be a sin to god, especially if I was loving another one of his human creations, rather than hurting, or murdering them. Then, after weeks of reading and research, something happened for me, that was like my brain waking up for the first time.

I happened to accidentally, in my research, stumble across some youtube videos, from an atheist lecturer named, Hemant Mehta. He is known as the "Friendly Atheist" on youtube and other publications. This title sparked my curiosity because I had been raised to believe that atheists are evil, vile, and hateful beings with no morals, and prejudiced hate for god. This made me look at his videos and it opened my eyes to how atheists are good, moral people, and not the evil people portrayed to me. I read the contributions, not just to science, but to the health of humanity, the concern for peace and equality of all human beings, the encouraging of humanitarianism, through breaking down the walls that separate races and cultures, etc., by people who are/were atheists.

I saw the hate religion causes in the world.....all the wars around the globe, setting gay people on fire in Africa and celebrating it as doing god's work, creating terrorism to innocent people, and blowing up buildings, in the name of various gods. I saw Christians in some parts of the world, murder babies because they believed their babies to be wicked or evil. I began to see contradictions in the Bible, like slavery, genocide, stoning people to death, owning women, murdering and taking away property, in the name of god, who I was told was a loving god, but wanted to send to me to hell, because of wanting to love another one of his humans. I was so religiously indoctrinated that I never saw the clear evidence in front of me. It was like a light turned on in my brain, and things all finally made sense to me about atheism. I saw that it is not about hate. It's just about freeing people from the hate and conflict, that religion causes amongst themselves, and living in peace and equality, instead.

I am still the same loving Marco, who wants to help people in this world, even if it means giving the shirt off my back for someone, but I am an atheist now. Becoming an atheist, saved me from committing suicide a month ago, because of believing god hates me. Atheism has made me realize the value of my short life and do all I can to be good to people and make the best out of trying to spread more happiness among people, instead of judgment on them. Now I can concentrate on trying to be a good person for myself and others, instead of a god who hates me, and wants me to love him out of fear, otherwise I will burn eternally. I can sleep at night and think of what I can do to make tomorrow a better day for everyone, instead of desperately praying, worrying, and not sleeping, wondering how god is going to punish me and judge me, despite my efforts to be a good man.

I have only one best friend, who is Catholic and would not accept me as an atheist. I have to keep it a secret, as he is my roommate. I hope to be able to make some friends here. The only family I have is my mom and brother now, and they are very Catholic. They would never be able to accept me being an atheist, so it's been a lonely, new journey so far. I don't have much in my life, but I do enjoy humanitarianism and contributing to helping people, and making the world a better place.

Atheism has freed me from the constant psychological stress and trauma religion has caused me in my life, especially the severe depression I went through. It has made me a kinder, more loving person, because I understand the value of human life now, especially other people's lives. I understand the damage judgment does on the human psyche. I also understand the true meaning of loving and accepting all people in life, regardless of race, color, culture, customs, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, spirituality, beliefs, or atheism....because we should be looked at as unique and interesting with our differences, rather than hated and condemned by each other. This is the peace, I believe an atheist truly wants.

Take care and be well everyone,
Marco Big Grin
RE: Hello everyone....a friendly, new Atheist's story
Hey, welcome! I'm sorry for the shit you've gone through. You'll find a lot of excellent people here, and I'm sure we'll have a great time Big Grin

Well, another one has come to the dark side. Where are the cookies?
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Great to have you.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
That's a very impressive story, thanks for sharing, am sure glad that you got through this crisis a month ago and can now join us here alive and kicking Smile
Also congrats for becoming atheist, it's a very nice state to be in!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Thanks very much for sharing your story, it is very touching. I'm so sorry for what you've been through, it is absolutely disgusting. I'm sick of the way people do horrible things and then hide behind their religion and claim righteousness.

I have felt, and still feel suicidal so I know how horrible that is. I'm so glad that you had your breakthrough, it sounds like it really did save you. Once you're out of that mental trap, it all seems so clear doesn't it? It's like a lot of things, when you're caught up in it, and invested in some way, you just can't see the big picture. But from the outside, the hypocrisy, evil and controlling nature of religion is blatant.

Of course there is nothing at all wrong with being homosexual. There is no rational argument against it, or same sex marriage, apart from bigoted religious hatred. Stupid people are scared of those who are different. I got bullied all through school just for doing my work and not causing trouble. People will find any justification to pick on someone who they don't think is conforming. It must be some left over cave man instinct or something, and it's disgusting that people can't or won't control it.

I'm no authority on homosexuality of course, but I'd like to say there's no requirement to be feminine. Many gay men act exactly like a straight man would, drawing no attention to their sexuality. Just because that's how they are. It's up to each person how they express themselves and their sexuality. In a free and decent country at least, you shouldn't be judged for the behaviour that makes you comfortable.

I hope you find support on this forum, there are really great people here who I'm sure can help you out. I'll give you a tip I give to people coming out of religion that I have picked up. If you find yourself worrying about "God" actually being real, having doubts, fearing his judgement or hell, think about how much time you've spent worrying what Allah thinks of you? Or Odin, or Thor? Or Venus? There's an infinite number of "possible" gods, all of which are patently absurd, and everyone is an atheist against all of them but one. Atheists just go that one further. Gods are an invented fiction to act as a security blanket, easy answers to difficult questions (made up answers) and as a way to control people. There is not a shred of credible evidence that any of it has any basis in reality.

Anyhow, welcome aboard, and let us know if you have questions or need help with anything in particular!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome

I'm glad you could break free of religion on your own. Please don't feel distressed over your past ever again. If you do, just share it over here. I am not as experienced or knowledgeable as most other members here, but I'll do my best to make you smile.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Thank you for sharing your story with us. That was beautiful. I'm so fucking happy to have you here, Marco, at the forums and in our world. We need more of you in it.

I think you'll find some good friends here. This place has definitely helped me vent when the religious in my life become overwhelming, but more than that, the people here have helped me out of some normal, every day life funks just with their personalities, whether they know it or not. I'm sure you'll get something out of it. Smile So, Welcome I'm glad to have you.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Welcome!
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Welcome!

Glad you made it here, you will find many of the people here are like family. It is a great place to just hang out.
Welcome
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello from south florida! My coming out story... FollowingFeynman89 7 764 May 15, 2023 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Kingpin
  Ah hello? I don't know this is new to me FievelJ 24 2525 June 26, 2022 at 9:16 am
Last Post: brewer
  New here - hello! Orbit 16 1584 May 31, 2022 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Hello... I'm New Here ABQ505 17 1588 November 18, 2021 at 11:15 am
  Hello, I'm new here NecroTzar 20 2113 October 28, 2021 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Hello I'm new mrunk1975 7 626 September 19, 2021 at 4:36 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New here...just sayin' Hello. Frank Apisa 15 1761 June 27, 2021 at 6:52 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Hello, I'm new here. FredTheLobster 15 1491 May 10, 2021 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Funny and humiliating deconversion story nickbarca 6 591 October 14, 2020 at 10:10 am
  Hello, I'm New rockyrockford 22 1706 September 14, 2020 at 8:19 am
Last Post: PabloTescobar