Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro-life atheists
Pro-life atheists
There must be such a thing. After all, you don't have to believe in a god to stick up for the rights of the unborn.
Thoughts?
RE: Pro-life atheists
I am Pro-Choice with restrictions on late term, unless there are other pressing concerns. I don't think the subject is 100% completely one way or another for most people, although I could be wrong.
But aborted fetus makes great stew!
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Atheism and abortion have nothing to do with one another. There are pro-life atheists and pro-choice theists.

Boru

addendum: So, no maths yet? Thought as much.
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 19, 2014 at 5:48 pm)Avodaiah Wrote: There must be such a thing. After all, you don't have to believe in a god to stick up for the rights of the unborn.
Thoughts?

Yes they exist. How can you ask for thoughts on a yes or no question?
My thoughts: you're bored and you find internet debates to be amusing.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(May 19, 2014 at 5:48 pm)Avodaiah Wrote: There must be such a thing. After all, you don't have to believe in a god to stick up for the rights of the unborn.
Thoughts?

I have always been pro-life. My understanding is that no matter what the circumstances surrounding the pregnancy, bad or good, rape or not. That child that innocent baby had nothing to do with it. They are without blame, why place the blame of a rapist on a baby, wasn't that childs fault.

Why should it suffer?

There is always adoption. Don't want it, give it to someone who cannot have a child, who's spent a fortune on having kids without success.

As a Buddhist, (moderately monastic) the view is that life begins at conception and all life is valuable.

My dear kid brother, would not be here had his 12 year old mother aborted him. She had him, gave him up for adoption.

In doing so my mother and I have had the pleasure of having him in our lives (my adopted family could not have children)
Thoughts?

I'd rather abortions didn't happen, unless the mother's life was in danger. Though I'd also like if our adoption and foster care agencies were better funded. It seems contradictory that republicans seem to care a lot about unborn children, but typically don't help single parent families or foster care agencies very much.

So yes, I'm an atheist who is pro life. I realize most abortions happen very early, and I can't argue very well against getting rid of something before the neo cortex has formed, but it would be ideal if they didn't happen unless there was a risk the mother would die, and we had well funded agencies to help children after they're born.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(May 19, 2014 at 6:32 pm)BlackSwordsman Wrote:
Thoughts?

I have always been pro-life. My understanding is that no matter what the circumstances surrounding the pregnancy, bad or good, rape or not. That child that innocent baby had nothing to do with it. They are without blame, why place the blame of a rapist on a baby, wasn't that childs fault.
What baby?

Quote:Why should it suffer?
What suffering?

Quote:There is always adoption. Don't want it, give it to someone who cannot have a child, who's spent a fortune on having kids without success.
What if I don't want it hanging out inside my body, sucking up up all of my nutrients that I need to survive, causing weight gain and muscle displacement, and risking my life in labor and delivery?

Quote:As a Buddhist, (moderately monastic) the view is that life begins at conception and all life is valuable.
As the owner of my body, my view is that another beings right to live ends when it infringes on mine. What if a person was dying and the could survive by hooking up a mock umbilical cord to you and taking nutrients from your body? Should you be obligated to allow this because their life is as valuable as yours?
Also, being alive and being a baby is not the same thing.

Quote:My dear kid brother, would not be here had his 12 year old mother aborted him. She had him, gave him up for adoption.
How many children who have suffered unspeakable horrors and deaths at the hands of unloving parents could have been spared such pain and suffering if their mothers would have had abortions?

Quote:In doing so my mother and I have had the pleasure of having him in our lives (my adopted family could not have children)

A 12 year old enduring a pregnancy and labor is dangerous and could potentially be completely traumatizing. I know you love your brother but one case is not an argument. How young, do you think, is too young to be expected to carry to term and risk her life delivering a baby so your feelings won't get hurt? What if she's nine and suffering PTSD after being continually raped and abused by some family member. Should she be forced to carry a reminder around for 10 months risking her life, because you think her fetus' life is just as valuable as hers?

More thoughts: I am also bored lol
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(May 19, 2014 at 6:47 pm)Losty Wrote:
(May 19, 2014 at 6:32 pm)BlackSwordsman Wrote: I have always been pro-life. My understanding is that no matter what the circumstances surrounding the pregnancy, bad or good, rape or not. That child that innocent baby had nothing to do with it. They are without blame, why place the blame of a rapist on a baby, wasn't that childs fault.
What baby?

What suffering?

Quote:There is always adoption. Don't want it, give it to someone who cannot have a child, who's spent a fortune on having kids without success.
What if I don't want it hanging out inside my body, sucking up up all of my nutrients that I need to survive, causing weight gain and muscle displacement, and risking my life in labor and delivery?

Quote:As a Buddhist, (moderately monastic) the view is that life begins at conception and all life is valuable.
As the owner of my body, my view is that another beings right to live ends when it infringes on mine. What if a person was dying and the could survive by hooking up a mock umbilical cord to you and taking nutrients from your body? Should you be obligated to allow this because their life is as valuable as yours?
Also, being alive and being a baby is not the same thing.

Quote:My dear kid brother, would not be here had his 12 year old mother aborted him. She had him, gave him up for adoption.
How many children who have suffered unspeakable horrors and deaths at the hands of unloving parents could have been spared such pain and suffering if their mothers would have had abortions?

Quote:In doing so my mother and I have had the pleasure of having him in our lives (my adopted family could not have children)

A 12 year old enduring a pregnancy and labor is dangerous and could potentially be completely traumatizing. I know you love your brother but one case is not an argument. How young, do you think, is too young to be expected to carry to term and risk her life delivering a baby so your feelings won't get hurt? What if she's nine and suffering PTSD after being continually raped and abused by some family member. Should she be forced to carry a reminder around for 10 months risking her life, because you think her fetus' life is just as valuable as hers?

PTSD is an extremely abused term, as a Service member diagnosed with it, I'd ask you to use it more wisely next time. I will take a 9 year old giving birth to watching brothers in arms being blown apart in front of you, watching your friend of many years dying before your eyes with limbs detached after being in an IED and coming home wondering why you made it out and he didn't, waking up screaming in the night, seeing the worst thing you can imagine reply in your mind over and over again, to the point where you try suicide.

I somehow for some reason don't buy into Civilian PTSD, Oh I was in a fender bender now I have PTSD or I gave birth an I have PTSD. I don't see them being in the same multiverse.

I'd say the rape would be more traumatic than the birth. Sorry if that offends you (Hope it doesn't infringe upon your life would not want to be killed off)

Anyway it throws you that you said what you said about your owning your body. What baby? funny? No baby, no need to kill anything. No need for an abortion then right?

But to say it deserves to end if it bothers you. That is a bit sad

Edit: as for the continual rape, remove them from the house, treat the trauma (obviously there will be some), but you are onto something, at that age I do believe it would be of danger to the child, so some things can be avoided so I will give you the abortion permit slip on that but doesn't correlate to my point.
(May 19, 2014 at 6:32 pm)BlackSwordsman Wrote: I have always been pro-life. My understanding is that no matter what the circumstances surrounding the pregnancy, bad or good, rape or not. That child that innocent baby had nothing to do with it. They are without blame, why place the blame of a rapist on a baby, wasn't that childs fault.

Rather shocking belief, I say. What's actually happening in that case is that your placing the blame on the woman that was RAPED by forcing her to have a child she neither asked for and one which was conceived by being violated in one of the most horrendous acts humans can do to another, short of murder. And you implicitly assert that the rights of the unborn trump that of the mother, which I think is generally an untenable position.

Well short of, say, 22-24 weeks, it CAN'T suffer, not having even developed a functioning nervous system or (I think) consciousness. But a more socially relevant question is: Why should the mother suffer? Pregnancy's no walk in the park, and labor extremely painful.

Oh joy, go through the process of being pregnant and having a kid just to give it up to someone else. That's just an unreasonable burden to expect of anyone.

Well, life does NOT begin at conception, I'm sorry to inform you. A fertilized egg is just as alive as, say, a sperm or an egg, but I doubt you think we should have legal protection for those entities. Otherwise, menstruation and male masturbation would have to be considered murder for the former and, well, genocide for the latter (no more blowjobs, sad to say...)

In doing so my mother and I have had the pleasure of having him in our lives (my adopted family could not have children)

This is a non sequitur and is really easy to show to be bollocks.

My mom and dad had sex with each other a little over 21 and a half years ago. If they hadn't had sex that night (or my sperm self hadn't won), I wouldn't have been born. Does that mean that it therefore would've been morally abominable if they DIDN'T have sex that fateful night? If you were consistent, the answer would be "yes", but I doubt you'd agree to that.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Pro voter tips. Gawdzilla Sama 0 161 October 21, 2020 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why is it so hard to reason with pro-lifers? Dingo 32 2177 October 12, 2020 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Dingo
  Black Lives Matter is not anti racist, but pro marxist Ramus932 25 2009 June 14, 2020 at 2:10 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Samantha Bee - Pro Life? Bullshit. Minimalist 0 756 May 24, 2016 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pro-Clinton Super PAC Caught Spending $1 Million on Social Media Trolls ReptilianPeon 12 2579 April 27, 2016 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Thousands march in DC for pro-life rally Creed of Heresy 3 945 January 22, 2015 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Debunking pro-death penalty arguments Dystopia 2 2059 January 2, 2015 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Lucanus
  Why I Am Pro-Life orogenicman 322 90713 August 1, 2013 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: sarcasticgeographer
  Awsome pro cannabis legalisation activism! Something completely different 5 1966 July 15, 2013 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Pro-Birth vs Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice Savannahw 42 7349 June 19, 2013 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: callahan24