Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is it so hard to reason with pro-lifers?
Why is it so hard to reason with pro-lifers?
I mistakenly decided to discuss abortion with a pro-lifer. I only joined the discussion due to the fact they were spreading misinformation and literal propaganda. Apparently, this individual has done their "research" through Facebook memes, as well as pro-life documentaries. Which have both been proven to be riddled with falsehoods.  I brought up instances of rape and also asked the individual if they would adopt these unwanted children people like them are forcing women to have.

However, instead of actually answering the question they did circles around the question and proceeded to accuse me of some of the most batshit things ever with no basis whatsoever. According to this individual, by posing this question I was advocating for the murder of adopted children. Like what in the actual fuck? Are these people insane? Anyways, since the discussion derailed I simply blocked the person. However, I went back to the discussion from another account I created a long long time ago to only see the other pro-life people were patting that individual on the back at apparently what a great job they did at defending the unborn. It was actually quite fascinating to observe. It was like a peacock strutting around as they had just won something, and the other peacocks strutting as well and licking their own assholes.

One of them was even advocating they call the police and report the false tip to have me arrested. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to make false police reports.  I was genuinely concerned these individuals would find out where I lived and had me swatted.

I find it discouraging this sort of behavior from pro-lifers seems to be encouraged instead of actually having a discussion. I also hope these people are just trolls or "bots". Because if these kinds of people actually exist in society, well good grief then.
RE: Why is it so hard to reason with pro-lifers?
I think the pro-life movement should be put in the conspiracy theory bucket.
(October 5, 2020 at 7:32 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I think the pro-life movement should be put in the conspiracy theory bucket.

I personally think they are insane. Not because I disagree with them, but how they argue for their beliefs. The irony is, what I went through is an old Soviet Tactic. Paint those who disagree with you in a negative light instead of actually having a civil discussion. There was even a guy on there staying he was going to "find my IP and hunt me down". Yeah, pro-life my ass. These people remind me of ISIS. The pro-life movement is more of a puritanism movement designed as a way to control women. It is based on the 1800s belief that women should have no say in their decisions. However, it is disguised as protecting the unborn and innocent, but that's just all a smokescreen. And is merely a relic of patriarchy.
(October 5, 2020 at 7:10 am)Dingo Wrote: One of them was even advocating they call the police and report the false tip to have me arrested. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to make false police reports. 
Accusing someone knowingly of a crime he/she didnt commit is a crime in and of itself (at least where i live and i bet everywhere else too).

The hard part is: When you accuse someone of having accused you (wrongly so), you have to prove this person knew it was false. Dont ask me how i know this..... Dodgy

Yet, some stupid FB post where that individual proudly parades his guilt around, may suffice. Naughty
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
Conspiracy theories have a common characteristic, they are meant to attack a person or group. To do this they create a caricature of their target and attack that. The results in Planned Parenthood being described at a bunch of baby murderers. Now, since EVERYBODY is either with them or against them you are required to declare yourself at one pole or the other. They do not tolerate shades of grey because that hints at one side being at least partially right or partially wrong. This is not allowed. From there you just have to know what side the conspiracy theorist is on to know which side is RIGHT.
'If you could reason with religious people, there would BE no religious people.' - Gregory House, MD.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 5, 2020 at 7:55 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Conspiracy theories have a common characteristic, they are meant to attack a person or group. To do this they create a caricature of their target and attack that. The results in Planned Parenthood being described at a bunch of baby murderers. Now, since EVERYBODY is either with them or against them you are required to declare yourself at one pole or the other. They do not tolerate shades of grey because that hints at one side being at least partially right or partially wrong. This is not allowed. From there you just have to know what side the conspiracy theorist is on to know which side is RIGHT.

Another common thread to this is they also tend to have superior knowledge they have acquired from "research". But that research is merely information that confirms their biases. I.e. internet memes, a facebook group or some fringe website like Breitbart or democrappy.cuck.net
(October 5, 2020 at 7:59 am)Dingo Wrote:
(October 5, 2020 at 7:55 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Conspiracy theories have a common characteristic, they are meant to attack a person or group. To do this they create a caricature of their target and attack that. The results in Planned Parenthood being described at a bunch of baby murderers. Now, since EVERYBODY is either with them or against them you are required to declare yourself at one pole or the other. They do not tolerate shades of grey because that hints at one side being at least partially right or partially wrong. This is not allowed. From there you just have to know what side the conspiracy theorist is on to know which side is RIGHT.

Another common thread to this is they also tend to have superior knowledge they have acquired from "research". But that research is merely information that confirms their biases. I.e. internet memes, a facebook group or some fringe website like Breitbart or democrappy.cuck.net
Yeah, they accept information that favors their position uncritically. They also project their position as being a critical stance on the topic at hand.
Yeah, if someone is against the abortion then that person should turn against their God first.

[Image: God-abortion.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
The issue of abortion resolves to metaphysical beliefs about being human and when that begins. It's a set of assumptions, whichever side you are on, and so is resistant to reasoned approaches. So emotion and propaganda tend to be the tools of choice for both sides. And given that, for the pro-life individual, the stakes are life and death, it's not surprising that it gets highly emotional and irrational. It resolves to a political question of who can enforce their beliefs on whom. That's bound to get heated, as any other political issue does.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1305 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Pro voter tips. Gawdzilla Sama 0 163 October 21, 2020 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Trump rap: going hard WinterHold 0 353 June 30, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Black Lives Matter is not anti racist, but pro marxist Ramus932 25 2040 June 14, 2020 at 2:10 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Trump's Wall (A momentary lapse of reason) sammiedee 23 1658 June 26, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  War is nonsense and manipulation and there is no reason to fight? Interaktive 47 3302 March 31, 2019 at 9:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Stop trying to reason with Trump supporters GODZILLA 21 2482 January 20, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  I'm Sure He Had A Good Reason. Minimalist 52 6728 November 7, 2017 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  One Reason Trump is Intent on Reversing Everything Obama Did Rhondazvous 9 1305 November 6, 2017 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Diamond-hard, industrial-strength irony. Gawdzilla Sama 5 1521 September 16, 2017 at 6:58 am
Last Post: Kosh