Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I Am Pro-Life
Why I Am Pro-Life
This article is dated, but I decided to post it anyway because it makes some very good points:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/opinio...share&_r=0

Quote:In my world, you don’t get to call yourself “pro-life” and be against common-sense gun control — like banning public access to the kind of semiautomatic assault rifle, designed for warfare, that was used recently in a Colorado theater. You don’t get to call yourself “pro-life” and want to shut down the Environmental Protection Agency, which ensures clean air and clean water, prevents childhood asthma, preserves biodiversity and combats climate change that could disrupt every life on the planet. You don’t get to call yourself “pro-life” and oppose programs like Head Start that provide basic education, health and nutrition for the most disadvantaged children. You can call yourself a “pro-conception-to-birth, indifferent-to-life conservative.” I will never refer to someone who pickets Planned Parenthood but lobbies against common-sense gun laws as “pro-life.”

...The term “pro-life” should be a shorthand for respect for the sanctity of life. But I will not let that label apply to people for whom sanctity for life begins at conception and ends at birth. What about the rest of life? Respect for the sanctity of life, if you believe that it begins at conception, cannot end at birth. That radical narrowing of our concern for the sanctity of life is leading to terrible distortions in our society.

More at the link above.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Why I Am Pro-Life
That author....typical lib BS. I could almost take it until the very last paragraph where he decides to see how far he can stick his nose up Bloomberg's ass.

Honestly I think what irked me the most was this had nothing to do with the abortion debate, he didn't even discuss why he holds the values he states in the article other than to just say "because I'm pro-life" in some misguided attempt to turn the phrase into a positive thing for him. Just felt like a good ole fashioned circle jerk for the values he espouses, with no real explanation.
From the quote, I woould say he is pretty accurate. It is clear that the group that calls themselves "pro life" are not pro life. You can't be considering they are for the death penalty. They support starving children. They support healthcare for the rich and feell the poor are just out of luck.

No, there isn't anyway I can consider the group as being "pro life".
(July 21, 2013 at 9:21 am)plaincents822 Wrote: That author....typical lib BS. I could almost take it until the very last paragraph where he decides to see how far he can stick his nose up Bloomberg's ass.

Except that Bloomberg is not a liberal.

plaincents822 Wrote:Honestly I think what irked me the most was this had nothing to do with the abortion debate, he didn't even discuss why he holds the values he states in the article other than to just say "because I'm pro-life" in some misguided attempt to turn the phrase into a positive thing for him. Just felt like a good ole fashioned circle jerk for the values he espouses, with no real explanation.

Excuse me? It actually has everything to do with the abortion debate. That it doesn't conform to your "circle jerk" opinions is, well, plainly and simply, tough titties.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
George Carlin said it best. These republicunt bastards are not pro-life...they are "anti-woman."
(July 21, 2013 at 1:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote: George Carlin said it best. These republicunt bastards are not pro-life...they are "anti-woman."
What a good thing that there are no Republican women against abortion.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

There are muslim women who don't mind being beaten by their nut job husbands, too. There are Hindu women who jump on their husband's funeral pyres.

Religious indoctrination is a terrible thing. Thanks for pointing it out.
I'm sure there are also non-religious women (although probably not Republican) who oppose abortion.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

(July 21, 2013 at 1:06 pm)wwjs Wrote: What a good thing that there are no Republican women against abortion.

I'm amazed that there are any Republican women at all, never mind anti-choice women.

Just goes to show you that you can always find collaborators no matter what group you target for oppression.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(July 21, 2013 at 1:15 pm)wwjs Wrote: I'm sure there are also non-religious women (although probably not Republican) who oppose abortion.

I'm amazed that there are any non-religious people who are anti-choice, at least any who stay that way for long.

I was for a short time. Then I learned some basic things about fetal development and realized there's no there, there. It's only with religious indoctrination and a belief that there's a mystical soul that occupies that collection of cells that you can believe that's a person with rights to life. Without the supernatural crap, that center can't hold.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Pro voter tips. Gawdzilla Sama 0 157 October 21, 2020 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why is it so hard to reason with pro-lifers? Dingo 32 2105 October 12, 2020 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Dingo
  Black Lives Matter is not anti racist, but pro marxist Ramus932 25 1943 June 14, 2020 at 2:10 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Samantha Bee - Pro Life? Bullshit. Minimalist 0 753 May 24, 2016 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pro-Clinton Super PAC Caught Spending $1 Million on Social Media Trolls ReptilianPeon 12 2571 April 27, 2016 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Thousands march in DC for pro-life rally Creed of Heresy 3 934 January 22, 2015 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Debunking pro-death penalty arguments Dystopia 2 2043 January 2, 2015 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Lucanus
  Pro-life atheists Avodaiah 407 54080 May 29, 2014 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Awsome pro cannabis legalisation activism! Something completely different 5 1938 July 15, 2013 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Pro-Birth vs Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice Savannahw 42 7302 June 19, 2013 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: callahan24