Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
describing the "collaboration" of parts; thoughts on spacetime
describing the "collaboration" of parts; thoughts on spacetime
Here are some thoughts I just came up with and typed out. I will appreciate any criticism of the content of this essay or its choice of words.

The purpose of this essay is to describe different types of "collaboration", but I will use this first paragraph to explain why I want to discuss this. There are different ways to think of causality. You can imagine that causality is just the pattern by which events or objects are arranged on a timeline, or you can imagine it as a set of relationships between objects. I think the former is problematic because it assumes that there is an objective thing we can call "the timeline". There was a similar concept for space, which we called "the ether", but it turned out to be just an unsupported assertion. This leads to an interesting question: if there is no single reference that's common to all objects, then how do they cooperate as they do? An object will never change its relationship to another object without also changing all of its other relationships in corresponding ways, and the system that emerges from this collaborative behavior is what we call "spacetime". I think we might gain some perspective if we think about some common examples of collaboration that we can readily understand.

In this thread, "collaboration" describes any system emerging from the tendency of the parts to behave in a similar fashion. I have identified and named some types.

edit: aggh, I shouldn't have picked a word (referential) that already has a well established meaning in philosophy.

nonreferential collaboration
The parts exhibit similar behavior merely because they are similar. Some examples are identical marbles rolling parallel to one another, or women promoting equal rights. Women want equal rights for women because they are women.

coreferential collaboration
The parts exhibit similar behavior because they all utilize a common reference. Some examples are cathodes sending their cathode rays toward the same anode, or Catholics obeying the vatican. This could also be applied to the "timeline model" mentioned above, in which objects can interact because they're all utilizing the same timeline.

inter-referential collaboration
The parts exhibit similar behavior because they inform eachother about how to behave. Some examples are marbles bouncing off one another, or people who inform eachother about their culture traditions. If the information is transmitted completely unchanged, this may be mistaken for coreferential cllaboration.
RE: describing the "collaboration" of parts; thoughts on spacetime
two problems
1) there is no "time". second. The "equivalence" used in e=mc2 is an approximation. A good one, but still it is not totally true.
Physics know this. They know what they don't know. They are also smart enough to know it is all we have today. And they, rightly so would rather base a believe on "something" tangible rather than "something" not tangible.

Also, they love when they are proven wrong, well the rational ones anyway. Like asshole atheists, asshole physicist do exist. When they are proven wrong, that means they learnt something new. Unlike locking Jesus into a fix , unchanging, counter observational, book. I call bible literalist A-Jesus. Physicists let him "live" as he would live. If he should exist that is.
RE: describing the "collaboration" of parts; thoughts on spacetime
What do you mean "there is no time", and how do you know?

This is irrelevant to e=mc2. I haven't had any education in physics (yet). The issue here is whether and how spacetime could be an emergent phenomenon.
In my mind, it seems like there are two and only two possibilities. Either causality is a pattern that supervenes on time, or time 'emerges' from the inherent causal nature of objects.
If the former, then time is uncaused and needs no explanation, which is ironic because it's the possibility that would hypothetically allow for alternate, extra-dimensional types of "causality" (e.g. a god beyond space and time). If the latter, then time is caused, and we should ponder how objects "collaborate" like this.

Applied to the concept of a god beyond space and time ("GBS&T" for short), my argument would be:
- Either A or B.
- If A, then a GBS&T is unnecessary.
- If B, then a GBS&T is impossible.
- The GBS&T is either unnecessary or impossible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on Courtly love (aka platonic love) Macoleco 16 1214 September 11, 2022 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Thoughts of Reason Foxaèr 22 1660 October 25, 2020 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Describing the impossible robvalue 21 1896 October 11, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Dr H
Lightbulb Some thoughts I felt compelled to share with anyone willing to listen, entheogen 22 2875 September 17, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: entheogen
  How our thoughts are formed? givepeaceachance 29 4188 May 24, 2018 at 5:27 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5480 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Thoughts RozKek 17 2513 April 25, 2016 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Ethics Class Homework Assignments: Critiques, Thoughts... Thanks! Mudhammam 6 2628 July 5, 2015 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  The Problem of Imperfect Revelation: Your Thoughts? MindForgedManacle 144 40398 September 29, 2013 at 11:52 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Thoughts on next video... DeistPaladin 40 17366 April 5, 2013 at 10:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger