Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on next video...
Thoughts on next video...
Feedback and constructive criticism welcome...

After my last video on the prefailure of apologetic arguments...

Recap:
  1. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
  2. Religion makes extraordinary claims
  3. Arguments without hard evidence, demonstrations or predictive capability = at best weak evidence
  4. Apologists can only offer abstract philosophical arguments
  5. Ergo: Apologetics pre-fails before the arguments are even evaluated

...I've had requests to do a video on presuppositional apologetics. I find this a daunting task, not because the argument is persuasive but rather I have no idea where to begin. It is so interwoven with so many overlapping logical fallacies, it's like untangling a wad of yarn. So I'm getting my thoughts straight here as to the best approach to the presentation.

Classical presuppositional apologetics (ala Van Til) is the stuff that YahwehIsTheWay would happily embrace (except that, unlike YITW, these people are serious). It is a rejection of "evidential apologetics" as it rejects the idea that Christians can reason with non-believers. The presupposition of the Christian faith is the only foundation by which anything can be known. Non-Christian ways of thinking are so alien that there is no neutral assumption by which a True Christian could relate to the non-believer.

At least, this is my understanding.

Current incarnations of this way of thinking, championed by internet apologists like Eric Hovind, (and closer to home, Elunico13, Statler-Waldorf and others) are being used to debate with atheists and other non-believers but still maintain that "God" (by which they mean Yahweh-Jesus, of course) and the assumptions about Christianity are the only way we can know anything, the only basis for morality and the only justification for rational thinking.

As Eric Hovind said in the video I've linked to:
Quote:"The proof of (Jesus) is that without (Jesus) you can't know anything and that's exactly what we've seen here, is we've seen somebody say, 'I could be wrong about everything'. They've given up knowledge in order to deny the god that they know exists."

So the logic seems to be:
1. Without "God" (read: Christian god Yawheh-Jesus) we can't know anything.
2. We know things.
3. Therefore, God exists.
4. (unspoken) and of course this god must be Yahweh-Jesus.

This seems to evoke the Transcendental Argument:

1. Without God, knowledge is not possible
2. Knowledge is possible
3. Therefore God exists.

Or the Moral Argument for God (as favored by W.L. Craig):

1. Without God, there is no objective morality.
2. Objective morals exist.
3. Therefore, God exists.

So this is a familiar pattern. Before I get into detail on all the fallacies, I want to be sure I understand the argument correctly. Any feedback so far?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: Thoughts on next video...
I'm curious DeistPaladin, why do you believe in God?
(April 3, 2013 at 10:17 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I'm curious DeistPaladin, why do you believe in God?

A sense of awe I have about the grand machine we call the universe, from the macro to the micro, as well as over the potential not just of the human mind but human civilization. A lot came together for us in our evolution and not just in terms of increased cranial capacity. The fact we walk upright, we have opposable thumbs, we lost our body fur so we could develop language, out sense of community, all came together for what we might one day achieve as a species.

None of this, I realize, decisively proves God. Maybe we just won the cosmic lottery. That, among other reasons, is why it's just a personal philosophy for me. Deism is for me a truce between my skeptical brain and my lofty sentiments, a way to be spiritual and yet remain firmly and safely grounded in the real, natural world.
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
(April 3, 2013 at 11:11 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote:
(April 3, 2013 at 10:17 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I'm curious DeistPaladin, why do you believe in God?

A sense of awe I have about the grand machine we call the universe, from the macro to the micro, as well as over the potential not just of the human mind but human civilization. A lot came together for us in our evolution and not just in terms of increased cranial capacity. The fact we walk upright, we have opposable thumbs, we lost our body fur so we could develop language, out sense of community, all came together for what we might one day achieve as a species.

None of this, I realize, decisively proves God. Maybe we just won the cosmic lottery. That, among other reasons, is why it's just a personal philosophy for me. Deism is for me a truce between my skeptical brain and my lofty sentiments, a way to be spiritual and yet remain firmly and safely grounded in the real, natural world.

Thanks for your perspective. Much appreciated.
Hah! The kid had Mr. Hovind in the palm of his hand when he implicitly said that the argument falls apart because he can't know God to exist -- it's a piece of knowledge that is also in question like everything else Mr. Hovind says we can't know without God.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(April 3, 2013 at 11:51 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Hah! The kid had Mr. Hovind in the palm of his hand when he implicitly said that the argument falls apart because he can't know God to exist -- it's a piece of knowledge that is also in question like everything else Mr. Hovind says we can't know without God.

The kid was smart.

"If I don't know everything, I can't know one thing?" lol poor kid is probably thinking Adults get really stupid when they grow up and he's right.
(April 4, 2013 at 12:12 am)MysticKnight Wrote:
(April 3, 2013 at 11:51 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Hah! The kid had Mr. Hovind in the palm of his hand when he implicitly said that the argument falls apart because he can't know God to exist -- it's a piece of knowledge that is also in question like everything else Mr. Hovind says we can't know without God.

The kid was smart.

"If I don't know everything, I can't know one thing?" lol poor kid is probably thinking Adults get really stupid when they grow up and he's right.

I feel like by the end of it, the kid might have felt like he got crushed, but only because Mr. Hovind avoided the issue the kid raised in knowing God exists. He had to start over his argument in order to avoid addressing it.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
OK, so getting back to the future video, the application of this apologetic is the following strategy (famous example being the painful-to-watch video between Thunderfoot and Eric Hovind):

1. Get your opponent to admit they don't know everything.
2. Follow with but-I-can-say-God(verb)It.
3. Therefore Jesus.

The first part is easily accomplished. Nearly everyone will admit they don't know everything. Part of the scientific method is admitting what we don't know. The beginning of all wisdom is to admit what we don't know. "Empty your cup" and all. But this apologetic makes this strength into a supposed weakness. For example, in the video I linked to, Eric Hovind claimed the straw man that his opponent "had given up knowledge" based on the quote "I could be wrong about everything". It does not follow admitting ignorance is "giving up on knowledge"; in fact that's the first step. The attack is a straw man.

The second step is in anticipation of "well, you don't know everything either". We've seen how Elunico and Statler will then turn to GodVerbIt. This can be GodDidIt, GodWillsIt, GodDoesIt, GodIsIt, etc. It's the perfect filler yet doesn't help elucidate our understanding of anything.

The last part is the non sequitur conclusion.

Unraveling all the fallacies to follow...
If you admit you can be wrong about everything, you admit you can be wrong that you aren't suppose to know God exists or Christianity is true via the holy spirit. This doesn't change the strength of the arguments you present, it just shows you lack confidence that your opponents are wrong.

It also shows you aren't sure whether they know the argument proving God is wrong or not.

While this technically doesn't strengthen their arguments, to the audience depending on their preference, it will sway them. The reason is that people rather follow someone that claims to be certain then in doubt.

This may have to do with something that happened along the lines in evolution.
(April 4, 2013 at 9:42 am)MysticKnight Wrote: If you admit you can be wrong about everything, you admit you can be wrong that you aren't suppose to know God exists or Christianity is true via the holy spirit. This doesn't change the strength of the arguments you present, it just shows you lack confidence that your opponents are wrong.

I think that the idea is that if you can get the non-theist to admit that there are gaps, you can fill them with 'god.' If neither person knows, the theist can fill the gap, the non-theist can at best fill it with guesses, assumptions, theories, etc. If the theist starts from "do you know for certain that god isn't there?" he can fill that gap with god and from that point he's rolling right along with his god-grout-gun, filling gaps as fast as he can find them.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on Courtly love (aka platonic love) Macoleco 16 1221 September 11, 2022 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Thoughts of Reason Foxaèr 22 1667 October 25, 2020 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Sal
Lightbulb Some thoughts I felt compelled to share with anyone willing to listen, entheogen 22 2882 September 17, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: entheogen
  How our thoughts are formed? givepeaceachance 29 4199 May 24, 2018 at 5:27 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5484 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Let's Say I Achieve "Meaning." What Do I Do Next? InquiringMind 51 8023 September 25, 2016 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Thoughts RozKek 17 2513 April 25, 2016 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Ethics Class Homework Assignments: Critiques, Thoughts... Thanks! Mudhammam 6 2631 July 5, 2015 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  describing the "collaboration" of parts; thoughts on spacetime Coffee Jesus 2 856 May 28, 2014 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4098 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist