Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supersized rocky planets are out there.
Supersized rocky planets are out there.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27669572

The star this planet is orbiting is 11 billion years old. This is all interesting stuff.

Quote:There is a new class of planet out there that astronomers are calling the "mega-Earth".

It is an object with a hard surface like our own world but much, much bigger.

The necessity for the new designation follows the discovery of a planet which has a mass some 17 times that of Earth.

Known as Kepler-10c, it orbits a star about 560 light-years away.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Supersized rocky planets are out there.
Yeah, and latest results seem to suggest mega-earths are fairly common, where as terresterial planets similar in size to earth are rare.
(June 2, 2014 at 1:58 pm)Chuck Wrote: Yeah, and latest results seem to suggest mega-earths are fairly common, where as terresterial planets similar in size to earth are rare.

Is that a case of selection bias (whereby higher-mass planets are easier to spot using current detection methods)?
Imagine how many beers could you chug on the free time over there! Taking 10 hour work day ofc. Longer nights too!
(June 2, 2014 at 2:19 pm)LastPoet Wrote: Imagine how many beers could you chug on the free time over there! Taking 10 hour work day ofc. Longer nights too!

Jumping would be a bitch though.
Quote:Standing would be a bitch though.

Fixed that for you.
(June 2, 2014 at 2:44 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:

Fixed that for you.

Fair enough. I have experience drinking beer when it's been impossible for me to stand so Last Poet's plan is still a go. Will give me an obvious advantage on my astronaut application.
(June 2, 2014 at 2:02 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(June 2, 2014 at 1:58 pm)Chuck Wrote: Yeah, and latest results seem to suggest mega-earths are fairly common, where as terresterial planets similar in size to earth are rare.

Is that a case of selection bias (whereby higher-mass planets are easier to spot using current detection methods)?

I believe the result doesn't come from counting the earth sized planets dicovered. So there is no selection biase on that count. Instead result comes from the observation that in majority of solar systems thus far discovered, it would be dynamically very difficult for any earth sized planet to survive for long period without either colliding with the parent star or be jetisoned out of the system.

(June 2, 2014 at 2:44 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:

Fixed that for you.

Actually, if the planet has 17 times earth mass, but 2.4 times earth radius, than its surface gravity would be about 2.8G.

It would certainly be possibly for a weight lifter to stand or do squats on that planet.
(June 2, 2014 at 2:51 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(June 2, 2014 at 2:02 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Is that a case of selection bias (whereby higher-mass planets are easier to spot using current detection methods)?

I believe the result doesn't come from counting the earth sized planets dicovered. So there is no selection biase on that count. Instead result comes from the observation that in majority of solar systems thus far discovered, it would be dynamically very difficult for any earth sized planet to survive for long period without either colliding with the parent star or be jetisoned out of the system.

Thanks for the info - I used to follow exoplanet research and discoveries closely, back when they were still fairly novel. Back then as you know, the search methods (e.g. radial velocity) selected for high-mass planets.

(June 2, 2014 at 2:51 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(June 2, 2014 at 2:44 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Fixed that for you.

Actually, if the planet has 17 times earth mass, but 2.4 times earth radius, than its surface gravity would be about 2.8G.

It would certainly be possibly for a weight lifter to stand or do squats on that planet.

I doubt that applies to any of us involved in that subthread. Big Grin
(June 2, 2014 at 2:02 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:

The Kepler space telescope was designed to be able to spot earth sized exo-planets.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a real chance that there is a multiverse? SerenelyBlue 127 14922 September 15, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Egg shaped planets do exist... ReptilianPeon 11 2283 July 16, 2015 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Tightly Packed Planets thesummerqueen 2 1536 October 17, 2012 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Infinite number of planets with life rafa360 41 19027 June 6, 2012 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Tidal Forces on Alien Planets thesummerqueen 1 1399 February 25, 2012 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: passionatefool
  LIFE ON OTHER PLANETS?? HAYWARD 28 6019 October 12, 2011 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels
  Star-less planets found Welsh cake 11 4642 May 20, 2011 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Arcturus