Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 3:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star-less planets found
Star-less planets found
Japanese astronomers claim to have found free-floating "planets" which do not seem to orbit a star. Read full article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13416431

From reading planetary formation theory I had suspected astronomers would eventually find celestial bodies out there without a parent sun to orbit around. Of course this discovery presents a new problem... what do we call them? Big Grin

It can't be called a planet - that term is only used for astronomical objects such as our Earth that is orbiting a star or stellar remnant. Any ideas?
RE: Star-less planets found
(May 18, 2011 at 2:16 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Japanese astronomers claim to have found free-floating "planets" which do not seem to orbit a star. Read full article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13416431

From reading planetary formation theory I had suspected astronomers would eventually find celestial bodies out there without a parent sun to orbit around. Of course this discovery presents a new problem... what do we call them? Big Grin

It can't be called a planet - that term is only used for astronomical objects such as our Earth that is orbiting a star or stellar remnant. Any ideas?

Are they like the moon from space 1999

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WZW4groJro

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Ex-planets?

That there should large number of planets sized bodies that orbits the milky way without any close association with any particular star is expected and should come as no surprise. We've discovered many planetary systems in which a large jupiter like planet orbits very close to the star, much closer then mercury is to our sun. The planets could not have formed at this distance from its sun, and must have migrated a great ways inward from where they were formed further out. The conservation of energy dictates such planets must have transfered a great deal of its orginal orbital energy to something else to accompolish the transfer inward. One very likely candiate is another planet. As one planet transfers its orbital energy to another, the planet lossing its energy migrate inwards, the planet gaining the energy escapes the solar system all together.
Quote:Any ideas?

Big fucking asteroids!
(May 18, 2011 at 2:30 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Any ideas?

Big fucking asteroids!

Viking extrasolar large comet reclaiming orbit. We can even call them 'Velcro' for short, as that too is an alien technology.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(May 18, 2011 at 2:30 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Big fucking asteroids!

Tucks medicated pads or Preparation H will take care of that problem.

Speaking of which, what happened to Preparations A through G?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I thought there was a term for it - "Rogue planets" Thinking

Wikipedia Wrote:A rogue planet (also known as an interstellar planet, or orphan planet) is a planetary-mass object that has been ejected from its system and is no longer gravitationally bound to any star, brown dwarf or other such object, and that therefore orbits the galaxy directly.[1][2][3] Astronomers estimate that there are twice as many Jupiter-sized rogue planets as there are stars.[4]
Isolated planetary-mass objects which were not ejected, but have always been free-floating, are thought to have formed in a similar way to stars, and the IAU has proposed that those objects be called sub-brown dwarfs.[5]]

Ok, so if it wasn't orbiting a star, ever, then call it a sub-brown dwarf.

Seems fine to me.
Rogue planets sound cool. But don't mind me, rogue everything sounds that way to me Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(May 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: I thought there was a term for it - "Rogue planets"

and if a rogue planet gets pulled into a different stars gravity to join the other planets around the warm light - we can than call it a "toke planet"
Bong
[Image: Evolution.png]

E.E. "Doc" Smith was all over this in the '40s.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible signs of life found in the atmosphere of Venus zebo-the-fat 11 1477 September 14, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Black hole eats a star Foxaèr 19 3232 June 20, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 55178 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The Amazing Dinosaur Found (Accidentally) by Miners in Canada TubbyTubby 4 1658 May 14, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Earliest evidence of life on Earth 'found' Minimalist 6 1740 March 1, 2017 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Planet Found in Habitable Zone Around Nearest Star zebo-the-fat 72 7910 August 27, 2016 at 7:12 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Mega structure found dyresand 58 10097 January 14, 2016 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Egg shaped planets do exist... ReptilianPeon 11 2279 July 16, 2015 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  LHC News - New particle found dyresand 0 972 July 14, 2015 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Evidence of how our Moon formed... found? Welsh cake 16 5080 July 6, 2014 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: A Theist