Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God kills a child for the sin of the father
God kills a child for the sin of the father
In these verses, god kills a child with a horrible lingering death to punish the father for perceived slights. It's a real dick move.

2 Samuel 12:14-31 (from http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...ersion=KJV)

Quote:14 Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.

15 And Nathan departed unto his house. And the Lord struck the child that Uriah's wife bare unto David, and it was very sick.

16 David therefore besought God for the child; and David fasted, and went in, and lay all night upon the earth.

17 And the elders of his house arose, and went to him, to raise him up from the earth: but he would not, neither did he eat bread with them.

18 And it came to pass on the seventh day, that the child died. And the servants of David feared to tell him that the child was dead: for they said, Behold, while the child was yet alive, we spake unto him, and he would not hearken unto our voice: how will he then vex himself, if we tell him that the child is dead?

19 But when David saw that his servants whispered, David perceived that the child was dead: therefore David said unto his servants, Is the child dead? And they said, He is dead.

20 Then David arose from the earth, and washed, and anointed himself, and changed his apparel, and came into the house of the Lord, and worshipped: then he came to his own house; and when he required, they set bread before him, and he did eat.

21 Then said his servants unto him, What thing is this that thou hast done? thou didst fast and weep for the child, while it was alive; but when the child was dead, thou didst rise and eat bread.

22 And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether God will be gracious to me, that the child may live?

23 But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

The last verse surely got me thinking, David, an important prophet and walker with god, didn't seem to know that god was powerful enough to raise people from the dead. He thought it was all lost once the kid's body had quit functioning. How could a true man of god NOT KNOW that god was powerful enough to breath life back into a body if he supposedly knew god personally and knew that god had breathed life into some dirt to make mankind in the first place?
Find the cure for Fundementia!
RE: God kills a child for the sin of the father
When you think about it, the Christian god has sentenced every human who ever lived (and every human who will ever live) to death ... for an applebite.

Sounds reasonable to me.

God punishes David in a way that he will still be able to perform his Kingly duties because he still ha plans for David, God would not punish the kingdom, since this would not allow the kingdom to continue on, so by taking the son that he had with his shamed wife, he shall be punished but still continue to do his duties as king
Horseshit.

Quote:10 David was conscience-stricken after he had counted the fighting men, and he said to the Lord, “I have sinned greatly in what I have done. Now, Lord, I beg you, take away the guilt of your servant. I have done a very foolish thing.”

11 Before David got up the next morning, the word of the Lord had come to Gad the prophet, David’s seer: 12 “Go and tell David, ‘This is what the Lord says: I am giving you three options. Choose one of them for me to carry out against you.’”

13 So Gad went to David and said to him, “Shall there come on you three[b] years of famine in your land? Or three months of fleeing from your enemies while they pursue you? Or three days of plague in your land? Now then, think it over and decide how I should answer the one who sent me.”

14 David said to Gad, “I am in deep distress. Let us fall into the hands of the Lord, for his mercy is great; but do not let me fall into human hands.”

15 So the Lord sent a plague on Israel from that morning until the end of the time designated, and seventy thousand of the people from Dan to Beersheba died. 16 When the angel stretched out his hand to destroy Jerusalem, the Lord relented concerning the disaster and said to the angel who was afflicting the people, “Enough! Withdraw your hand.” The angel of the Lord was then at the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite.

2 Sam. 24

Your silly god is forever portrayed as a vengeful dick who is always fucking over some innocent to punish someone else.

Fuck him.
David is the king of the land, his transgressions are the peoples transgressions, just like if Obama were to bomb some random country, the country would hate America not Obama, and would wage war on us not the president, it's the same thing, and if you read the verse, it says God had given the country a sickness from morning to night, and felt he had given enough punishment, and pulled the angel of death back before he destroyed the nation, God is not vengeful but merciful and great,

Plus the rules told us not to ridicule the atheistic belief, but how come you guys can straight up downgrade Christians without punishment? But still I will turn the other cheek, and forgive ou of your doings
Egad, punishment? What is with this attempt to infantilize everyone?

We don't all downgrade all Christians. It is just those who condescend to tell us how to live and what to value that get ridiculed. You needn't do those things if you don't wish to provoke our ire.
(June 10, 2014 at 2:05 am)Theonewhoanswersyourquestions Wrote: .. God is not vengeful but merciful and great,

.. how come you guys can straight up downgrade Christians without punishment? ..

What a non-answer! Of course your god was punishing David and others, that is obvious! The issue is the dickheadedness of punishing a completely innocent child in a horrid manner. Then presumably sending the kid to live in the fires of hell for all eternity for being sinful. Sucks to be that kid doesn't it?

Punishing the innocent is wrong, always! Why are christians so stubbornly stupid about this? If god has the omnipotence to punish in any imaginable way, why is he relegated to the barbarity of ancient middle easterners? Any of us could imagine better fitting punishments than killing an innocent kid. Only a stone age goat herder thinks that infanticide is a good idea.

You are a truly, deeply awful person if you think god was just in torturing this innocent child. I hope you are just using very strong cognitive dissonance in defending the evil god you worship.

As for downgrading christians, we don't sully them, they come here smelling like that, we just point out the obvious.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(June 10, 2014 at 2:05 am)Theonewhoanswersyourquestions Wrote: David is the king of the land, his transgressions are the peoples transgressions, just like if Obama were to bomb some random country, the country would hate America not Obama, and would wage war on us not the president, it's the same thing, and if you read the verse, it says God had given the country a sickness from morning to night, and felt he had given enough punishment, and pulled the angel of death back before he destroyed the nation, God is not vengeful but merciful and great,

Plus the rules told us not to ridicule the atheistic belief, but how come you guys can straight up downgrade Christians without punishment? But still I will turn the other cheek, and forgive ou of your doings

So, who consented to give god the right to punish people?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(June 9, 2014 at 9:02 pm)Brakeman Wrote: In these verses, god kills a child with a horrible lingering death to punish the father for perceived slights. It's a real dick move.

Really, this whole thing is just born out of bronze age cultures. All of the gods back then seemed to be capricious dicks who would screw with mortals with little or no provocation. The only difference here is that over time, people stopped believing in those bronze-age gods... except this one. This one got some weird iron-age mythology tacked on top, and two thousand years later, the apologists are still making excuses for super creepy bronze-age sensibilities.

(June 10, 2014 at 1:41 am)Theonewhoanswersyourquestions Wrote: God punishes David in a way that he will still be able to perform his Kingly duties because he still ha plans for David, God would not punish the kingdom, since this would not allow the kingdom to continue on, so by taking the son that he had with his shamed wife, he shall be punished but still continue to do his duties as king

So, why not just give him chronic pain, or something? Your sense of justice is really warped by a desire to not hold your god accountable for terrible actions.
(June 10, 2014 at 2:05 am)Theonewhoanswersyourquestions Wrote: Plus the rules told us not to ridicule the atheistic belief, but how come you guys can straight up downgrade Christians without punishment?

Sharing the planet with Christians like you is punishment enough.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ex-minister of secretive sect, admits to child sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 173 January 28, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sin and death LinuxGal 35 2247 December 11, 2023 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  the nature of sin Drich 137 18312 August 11, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Fox News’ Father Jonathan Morris is Quitting the Priesthood So He Can Have Sex Fake Messiah 46 10599 June 7, 2019 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Drich
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8484 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3607 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Archbishop Philip Wilson guilty of concealing child sex abuses zebo-the-fat 3 814 May 23, 2018 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  My religious teacher will become a father Der/die AtheistIn 48 9590 January 22, 2018 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Money raising through child work Der/die AtheistIn 12 3345 December 11, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Victims 'told not to report' Jehovah's Witness child abuse zebo-the-fat 13 2754 November 20, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician