Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Voice of God
The Voice of God
To our resident Christians:

A lot of you say god talks to you. I used to hear it in church ALL the time, ALL THE DAMN TIME, and I still see it on facebook a lot. "God told me this or god told me to do that!" "God gave me this message!" "God told me to play this piece of music!" "God told me to give more money to the church!" "God told me that something amazing will happen in your life today!" Well, I have a few questions for you Christians concerning this communication:

1) When god speaks to you, is it an audible voice? Could you capture it with a sound recorder?
2) If not, is it a voice in your head?
3) If it is indeed a voice in your head, are there any means by which you can be CERTAIN it's not YOU talking, and simply wishing really hard it's god? Can you verify that this voice in your head can not possible come from something else?
4) Is the communication in English?
5) Does god have an accent?
6) Or is the communication from god just some sort of warm, fuzzy feeling you get?

Now, consider that god does not talk to atheists. Would you consider that this is because of a strong conformation bias? Would you say that this may be because in order to "hear from god" you must delude yourself into thinking he exists, then you suddenly start making up a voice in your head and saying it's god?

Bonus points:

7) What about Satan? Have you ever heard the devil or any demons talk to you?
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
RE: The Voice of God
I'll add that sane Christians also don't hear God.
Are there any?
(June 11, 2014 at 2:52 pm)Cato Wrote: I'll add that sane Christians also don't hear God.

Is such a thing even possible?
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I do not feel ashamed
Yes, they're just unlikely to visit a forum like this because they don't have anything to prove to the atheists.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(June 11, 2014 at 2:54 pm)ThePinsir Wrote:
(June 11, 2014 at 2:52 pm)Cato Wrote: I'll add that sane Christians also don't hear God.

Is such a thing even possible?

If they're honest...

Wait a minute, nevermind. I suddenly realize I'm digging a hole.
(June 11, 2014 at 3:04 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Yes, they're just unlikely to visit a forum like this because they don't have anything to prove to the atheists.

Meh, good point. My guess is that most Christians would avoid answering the questions because of how embarrassing their answers are. I'll post it on one of the facebook atheist vs christian pages Cool Shades
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I do not feel ashamed
(June 11, 2014 at 2:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Are there any?

It's a transitional state, along the way to becoming ex-Christians.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Only if 'god' speaks through plants. Otherwise, I'm inclined to believe that god is a mute.
(June 11, 2014 at 3:21 pm)ShaMan Wrote: Only if 'god' speaks through plants. Otherwise, I'm inclined to believe that god is a mute.

Can you describe how this speaking takes place?
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I do not feel ashamed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Raw Story gives a voice to atheists.... Brian37 8 1626 October 17, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19480 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  "Voice of god" Justtristo 18 4450 November 28, 2010 at 5:23 am
Last Post: superstarr