Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is their such thing as as a "fake atheist"
Here is one thing that pisses me off brothers and sisters (and other.) recently, a boy in my school, (who's name i will not mention) asked during lunch at our table (little side note, this boy was never asked to sit at our table, no one even wanted him to sit at our table) "everybody, raise your hand if your an atheist." I of course raised my hand. He looked at me funny and asked "a real one?" (It must be assumed that he is an idiot, as he is the same person who believes that a man't penis size is a side-effect of that man's ego.) i asked what he meant by that and he said that "a lot of atheists are just pretending because they want attention." I wish this was just this one idiots point of view, but that was shared by my father when i came out to him. Of course we got into an argument and i asked him if maybe that was just lies fed to him by someone to try and spread that point of view, smearing atheists. To this he got mad and said no, because (and i'm not kidding) his parents don't lie to him. What parent would be either so ignorant, or so evil that they would press this garbage onto an apparently either very gullible are handicapped boy? I guess that is my question. Is this true? Or is it what i think it as, more christian bullshit?
RE: Is their such thing as as a "fake atheist"
(June 16, 2014 at 1:31 am)Sludgeman101 Wrote: Here is one thing that pisses me off brothers and sisters (and other.) recently, a boy in my school, (who's name i will not mention) asked during lunch at our table (little side note, this boy was never asked to sit at our table, no one even wanted him to sit at our table) "everybody, raise your hand if your an atheist." I of course raised my hand. He looked at me funny and asked "a real one?" (It must be assumed that he is an idiot, as he is the same person who believes that a man't penis size is a side-effect of that man's ego.) i asked what he meant by that and he said that "a lot of atheists are just pretending because they want attention." I wish this was just this one idiots point of view, but that was shared by my father when i came out to him. Of course we got into an argument and i asked him if maybe that was just lies fed to him by someone to try and spread that point of view, smearing atheists. To this he got mad and said no, because (and i'm not kidding) his parents don't lie to him. What parent would be either so ignorant, or so evil that they would press this garbage onto an apparently either very gullible are handicapped boy? I guess that is my question. Is this true? Or is it what i think it as, more christian bullshit?

More Christian Bullshit, sounds like the dogma they would peddle, "just doing it cuz you like sinning"

Replace sinning with attention? Catch what happen there?
[Image: 2jcyf5t.jpg]
Of course there is such thing as a fake atheist, as there is also a fake Christian, or whatever.
(June 16, 2014 at 1:59 am)psychoslice Wrote: Of course there is such thing as a fake atheist, as there is also a fake Christian, or whatever.

Perhaps more fake Christians than atheists Thinking
[Image: 2jcyf5t.jpg]
This guy: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/10...es-in-god/
On the contrary, I have never liked much attention. I enjoy meeting and talking to people, but doing anything just for attention, nope!! No way
[Image: graphics-rain-426733.gif]
(June 16, 2014 at 1:31 am)Sludgeman101 Wrote: Here is one thing that pisses me off brothers and sisters (and other.) recently, a boy in my school, (who's name i will not mention) asked during lunch at our table (little side note, this boy was never asked to sit at our table, no one even wanted him to sit at our table) "everybody, raise your hand if your an atheist." I of course raised my hand. He looked at me funny and asked "a real one?" (It must be assumed that he is an idiot, as he is the same person who believes that a man't penis size is a side-effect of that man's ego.) i asked what he meant by that and he said that "a lot of atheists are just pretending because they want attention." I wish this was just this one idiots point of view, but that was shared by my father when i came out to him. Of course we got into an argument and i asked him if maybe that was just lies fed to him by someone to try and spread that point of view, smearing atheists. To this he got mad and said no, because (and i'm not kidding) his parents don't lie to him. What parent would be either so ignorant, or so evil that they would press this garbage onto an apparently either very gullible are handicapped boy? I guess that is my question. Is this true? Or is it what i think it as, more christian bullshit?

I wouldn't pay much attention to it. They said it about gays too. If I were you I would say this:
"I wanted attention once, I made up Jesus!"
(June 16, 2014 at 2:13 am)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: This guy: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/10...es-in-god/

Very interesting article. I think it indicates that the unconscious mind works in mysterious ways. From God On The Brain.

Quote:RUDI: I was lying on my bed in the wards in Crawley Hospital when suddenly it seemed to me that everything was changing. The room was still the same size but it was becoming something else. I thought that I had to fight against this at first and I tried very hard mentally to bring myself back to normal because I thought that I was going mad. I thought that I had died and I had gone to hell. I was told that I had gone there because I had not been a devout Christian, a believer in god. I was quite shocked to find that the Christian religion was the correct one. I was very depressed and very alarmed, very worried at what had happened, and at the thought that I was going to remain here forever.

NARRATOR: Fortunately for Rudi, his vision ended and he has never had another one. He remains a firm atheist.

Why would an atheist have a vision of the Christian hell during a bout of temporal lobe epilepsy? Why did I have a dream about Apollo and know, in the dream, that he was a god? Why did I have an experience where it seemed that the Earth is a goddess?

From the article about the atheist who believes in God.

Quote:It seems to me that there is an offstage and an onstage quality to my existence. I live onstage, but I sense another crew working offstage. Sometimes I hear their voices “singing” in a way that’s as eerily beautiful as the offstage chorus in an opera.

My youngest grandchildren Lucy (5) and Jack (3) are still comfortable with this paradoxical way of seeing reality.

Most grownups don’t have the transparent humility to deal with the fact that unknowing is OK. But Lucy and Jack seem to accept that something may never have happened but can still be true.

I know what he means in those bolded sentences and it's why I find Jungian psychology useful for a brain like mine. Neuroscience deals with the hardware while Jungian psychology deals with the software which evolution programmed us with.

The Self In Jungian Psychology

Quote:The self is depicted in dreams or images impersonally (as a circle, mandala, crystal, or stone) or personally (as a royal couple, a divine child, or some other symbol of divinity). Great spiritual teachers, such as Christ, Muhammed, and Buddha, are also symbols for the self. These are all symbols of wholeness, unification, reconciliation of polarities, and dynamic equilibrium--the goals of the individuation process (Edinger, 1996).

From this point of view, something doesn't have to be literally true in order to be symbolically true. This doesn't mean that Jungian psychology is useful for everyone, of course, even though all humans are programmed with the same 'human software'.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
(June 16, 2014 at 6:01 am)Confused Ape Wrote: From this point of view, something doesn't have to be literally true in order to be symbolically true. This doesn't mean that Jungian psychology is useful for everyone, of course, even though all humans are programmed with the same 'human software'.

Where do we upgrade our software? Mine is buggy and with alot of memory leakage Big Grin
(June 16, 2014 at 6:15 am)LastPoet Wrote: Where do we upgrade our software? Mine is buggy and with alot of memory leakage Big Grin

Send a complaint to evolution. Our ancestors didn't get a shiny, newly designed brain when they eventually became human. Evolution just tacked an extra bit onto an existing hominid brain. Tongue
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 331 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Why did God get such a makeover in the New Testament? Hi600 10 1534 April 1, 2023 at 4:48 am
Last Post: Goosebump
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 836 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1443 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How to beat a presupp at their own game Superjock 150 11791 April 16, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 14032 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3688 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4469 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Famous people losing their religion: stories Fake Messiah 14 2733 May 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 27638 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1