Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is anyone involved in a local atheist group?
Question 
Is anyone involved in a local atheist group?
What's it like? How often do you meet? What kinds of things do you discuss/do?

I did a little research around my area but only saw one group like that. Looked like they met once a month. I'm curious about attending something like that, but I also would like a better idea about what it is atheist/secular humanist groups do.
RE: Is anyone involved in a local atheist group?
Unfortunately I don't know of any atheist groups where I live.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I have six friends who are atheists, they all live near me, and we get together and play poker on a rather irregular schedule. Not sure if that qualifies.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
That would just be a local group of atheists. An atheist group would likely be a group whose purpose is to spread knowledge of atheism and support other atheists.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

The Unitarians would accept atheists with open arms.

And not proselytize to accept Jeebus . .
I'm not interested enough to have looked into it.

The area I live in is quite conservative and religious, so when I looked into it, the closest I could find was a two hour drive.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
i got banned cause i kept rubbin ma wang on expensive thangz
My only groups are here, TTA, and I joined a couple on FB until I remembered why I hate FB and quit. I seriously doubt there are local live groups where I live.
I'm the VP of my local atheist group. We're 11 years old this August, I believe.

Originally the group started out as a social gathering. Currently, we also participate in street cleans for the street we adopted, we run charity fundraisers - most recently for the only secular AA group in our locality - and various other volunteer efforts. We keep our members busy with side items - like book clubs and goofy holiday celebrations. Three years ago I started a tradition of going to brunch for Darwin's birthday and all of us wearing weird hats. Recently some of us participated in a 5k whose proceeds went to a non-profit which has donated hundreds of thousands to women's shelters and anti-abuse campaigns. We have our annual summer picnic on Sunday. We'll have a booth at Pride Charlotte and we're hoping to march in the parade this year. We organize speaker series - we've had several people out to give talks, including Hemant Mehta, Greta Christina, and Seth Andrews (I didn't get to meet Greta, but Hemant and Seth really are palpably nice people.)

We discuss just about everything. Whatever we feel like. Some people like philosophy and they go off and talk about that. Some of us are obsessed with Skyrim and gaming in general, and we talk about that. Some of us also like beer - we have several home brewers - and we do a lot of drinking AND talking. It's like having a forum in real life.

I really care about this group because I had NO ONE when I moved down beyond my ex's family. I was so lonely for a very long time - lonely enough that I didn't even realize quite how bad it was. Having a safety net of people who cared about me just because I seemed nice and needed a friend was one of the factors that helped turn things around for me during a rather depressed part of my life. I met my boyfriend there. We have several very good friends out of that group.

The group also participated at the DNC a couple years ago, giving speeches about the separation of church and state. Dave Silverman (American Atheists) was there and I got to meet him. Smile We try to keep our thumbs in the community to let people know we're here and ready to help and that we don't eat babies.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2858 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2871 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Anyone here wear atheist/humanist jewelry? Foxaèr 24 3534 March 5, 2018 at 2:20 am
Last Post: rskovride
  The second most atheistic group in the world is... Gawdzilla Sama 15 3580 December 2, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Did anyone listen to atheist experience this week? Won2blv 12 4075 November 25, 2016 at 11:17 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist? Phosphorescent Panties 83 14331 April 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Did anyone here post at the Atheist Plus forums? TheMessiah 10 4461 June 7, 2015 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  My facebook group... Brian37 0 1224 April 5, 2015 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Anyone else an atheist while going to a Christian school? KentuckySkeptic224 7 3067 October 16, 2014 at 7:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Starting Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics group in East County SD LivingNumbers6.626 13 5184 August 15, 2014 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Polaris