Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is knowledge?
What is knowledge?
What is the true nature of knowledge, our reading or our understanding?
RE: What is knowledge?
(June 21, 2014 at 12:16 pm)Muslim Atheism Wrote: What is the true nature of knowledge, our reading or our understanding?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defini.../knowledge

There you go.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Thank you . . it said:

Quote:Facts, information, and skills
acquired
through experience or education;
the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject:

so. . knowledge is "acquired through something"
but it depends on our "understanding"

What is "understanding" ?
Knowledge is to what goes on in our minds
as true circles are to what you find in nature.
I remember from one video says "knowledge" already exists in space . . the video point out the facts how animals acquired knowledge. That makes me wonder what is the true nature of knowledge and how people can acquire them.
Knowledge: knowing that members of ISIS are murderous bastards all too ready to kill for their imagined god.
Wisdom: Not saying that to a member of ISIS when they are in front of you with their AK47.

Not what you asked but made me chuckle.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Other people have different understanding, and that proves the point that knowledge is not from what they read, but it is about "their understanding", which based on their emotions, experiences, prejudices etc.
(June 21, 2014 at 12:38 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Knowledge: knowing that members of ISIS are murderous bastards all too ready to kill for their imagined god.
Wisdom: Not saying that to a member of ISIS when they are in front of you with their AK47.

Not what you asked but made me chuckle.

The greater wisdom might have been to leave Saddam's in power so he would kill any nascent ISIS member for you while still leave you the opportunity to effect humanity by condemning his brutality.
(June 21, 2014 at 12:24 pm)Muslim Atheism Wrote: Thank you . . it said:

Quote:Facts, information, and skills
acquired
through experience or education;
the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject:

so. . knowledge is "acquired through something"
but it depends on our "understanding"

What is "understanding" ?

As used here, practical "understanding" indicates you already have the ability to apply what you know to achieve desired ends. If you have theoretical "understanding", that means you have the capacity to communicate what you know in such a way as to share it with others.
(June 21, 2014 at 1:19 pm)whateverist Wrote: you already have the ability . . . you have the capacity

Maybe the Buddhist are focusing on the "ability" and the "capacity" to interpret knowledge correctly, ie. their "emotional state of mind". So it doesn't matter much what book people read, as long they can interpret it correctly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my suggestions of seeking knowledge. Mystic 70 9973 March 18, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Limit of knowledge? SamWatson 23 3934 April 9, 2017 at 7:15 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Logic Fallacies: A Quiz to Test Your Knowledge, A Cheat Sheet to Refresh It Rhondazvous 0 981 March 6, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Is knowledge the root of all evil? Won2blv 22 5751 February 18, 2017 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The origins of Humanities Objective Knowledge and the fundamental mistake of behavior fdesilva 6 1388 August 19, 2016 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: PETE_ROSE
  Explicit vs Implicit Knowledge LivingNumbers6.626 9 2101 July 9, 2016 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Knowledge and belief in God Harris 37 4443 April 29, 2016 at 8:00 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  My View on Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 29 7247 March 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Belief and Knowledge Heywood 150 14852 November 9, 2014 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Transcendental Knowledge? Mudhammam 78 10810 October 17, 2014 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger