Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real-time plane tracker
Real-time plane tracker
Just found this interesting as fuck and thought I'd share:

Quote:At any given moment there are about 5,000 commercial airplanes in the sky over the United States, shuttling people from home to work to grandkids who’ve long moved away. Now you can see them all, in real time, on a map.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news...anesinsky3

The actual map in question:
http://www.flightradar24.com/

I don't think it's every single plane out there, but it's still a fair amount. Amazes me how you can actually see just how fast they move across the map. Well, relatively speaking.

Now if only the FBI knew about this website, we'd be able to find the flight mh370 that went missing!
RE: Real-time plane tracker
That is impressive. I live underneath the flight path(s) to and from Birmingham International Airport. It's nice to be able to see when these things are coming over, some of them are so low we could almost shake hands with the pilot. Or shake their necks sometimes, noisy gits. My Dad and one of my best friends would love this, if they don't know about it already; they're pretty big on 'plane spotting.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 22, 2014 at 8:18 pm)Stimbo Wrote: That is impressive. I live underneath the flight path(s) to and from Birmingham International Airport.

I never knew you were that close to me haha. I mean, it's like 15 minutes for me to get to BHX. If that.

The map is pretty cool though, there's all sorts of filters and things you can put on it.
It's a bit longer for me, something like an hour by train, half an hour by car or five hours if I fancied walking it.

I never fancy walking it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Once again time for how much time you've spent here Foxaèr 23 2675 April 5, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Is time travel Impossible Because time Doesn't Exist? budsa11 62 8779 August 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  So What Happened To The Plane? Minimalist 100 14681 April 11, 2014 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  SF plane crash, blame airline, OP/ED Brian37 4 1422 January 16, 2014 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  She said yes. :D (For real this time) Tiberius 71 14064 December 19, 2013 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Real Time Wind Map Erinome 9 4110 April 4, 2012 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: BoyWonder