Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 11:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Islam and theocracy
Islam and theocracy
Why are so many Muslim countries, either theocracies or other forms of government highly influenced by religion? The vast majority of 'Christian countries' have accepted and embraced secularism and separation of the Church and State, what are the reasons Muslim/arab countries still have a hard time distinguishing Law and Religion (they aren't supposed to be one god damn it!)?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Islam and theocracy
Because islam is a social contract. It makes no sense whatsoever, from within the perspective of islam, for the state to be a separate entity to the umma. The umma is the state. The ummas laws are the law. Period.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Power, extremism, un-accountable executive, non-existent legislature.

Long story short, since the advent of secularism in the 17th century in Europe, states in the west have gradually evolved towards liberal democracies and seen the disestablishment of churches and the removal of their influence of the legislature. This all started with the rejection of the he papacy in statecraft by the Northern European states of course but has ultimately resulted in a government being selected by the people of the people (to arguable degrees).

It was a punctured evolutionary process that was rejected else not discovered in regions where Islam has been prevalent for centuries. There are differences in political statecraft and the body politic that, in my opinion, make the two irreconcilable. The ideological notion of the umma makes the notion of state borders blur and the idea of a caliphate more prevalent, which arguably works against any sort of idea a liberal democracy defined by state borders being tangible.

Also, power and natural resources. A lot of central middle eastern and North African states have vast reserves of finite materials that bestow power on the ruling elite. Doesn't make sense to hand it over to someone else when you get a different private jet each month, Apox on any religious teaching that might say you need to distribute your wealth.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
In Islam you can't really divide them(religion and state), cuz there is "Shariaa"; Its inside the core teachings of Islam .

Shariaa(Google definition) : Islamic canonical law based on the teachings of the Koran and the traditions of the Prophet (Hadith and Sunna).
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
Hehehe, I'm actually getting to relay information I got secondhand from fobbits......I love this place.
(fobbits, for those unawares...are vast stores of islamic trivia nowadays- I suppose they had to find something to do with their time.)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 29, 2014 at 9:07 pm)blackout94 Wrote: Why are so many Muslim countries, either theocracies or other forms of government highly influenced by religion? The vast majority of 'Christian countries' have accepted and embraced secularism and separation of the Church and State, what are the reasons Muslim/arab countries still have a hard time distinguishing Law and Religion (they aren't supposed to be one god damn it!)?

Quote:In all ages hypocrites, called priests, have put crowns on the heads of thieves, called kings.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll

Islam is centuries behind xtians in social development. They need a good blood-letting ( maybe what is shaping up now?) to convince a majority that all this allah shit is not worth the trouble. The West accomplished this in the early 17th century.
(June 29, 2014 at 9:07 pm)blackout94 Wrote: Why are so many Muslim countries, either theocracies or other forms of government highly influenced by religion? The vast majority of 'Christian countries' have accepted and embraced secularism and separation of the Church and State, what are the reasons Muslim/arab countries still have a hard time distinguishing Law and Religion (they aren't supposed to be one god damn it!)?

We forcibly muzzled Christianity after generations of the bloodiest sectarian warfare the world has ever seen. Islam is just getting started in that regard.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
I'm glad somebody else said that first...I didn't want to have to be that guy Agenda. I want to add, that they haven't exactly squashed their beef in the interim either.

Because if one starts the clock roughly when each religion gained free reign as dominant religion in their own territory, then islam is still at roughly where Christian world was in 1500AD?

But you have to admit, until radicalized after 1970s, Islam has on the whole been doing better than Christianity in 1500AD.
(June 30, 2014 at 2:21 pm)Chuck Wrote: Because if one starts the clock roughly when each religion gained free reign as dominant religion in their own territory, then islam is still at roughly where Christian world was in 1500AD?

But you have to admit, until radicalized after 1970s, Islam has on the whole been doing better than Christianity in 1500AD.
That's pretty much it, and they are having their own little Dark Ages right about now. Unfortunately they're having them with modern weaponry.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Quran support Theocracy? Leonardo17 43 1718 Yesterday at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Quranic Reflection]: Anthropomorphism and God in Islam WinterHold 15 1534 June 16, 2021 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7783 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  To clear up that Islam is not pedophilia and chrisitanity is according to a guy here Smain 6 957 June 26, 2018 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Islam; my faith; and other faiths WinterHold 77 11223 April 30, 2017 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Islam and Women Lebneni Murtad 48 7984 March 6, 2017 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Question about Near Death Experiences and Islam? arda101 11 4051 January 23, 2017 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Islam is hostile, but there is also lots of bias from muslims and bigotry aswell Rolandson 7 2416 January 22, 2017 at 11:44 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Charlie Hebdo journalist sees a problem with Islam and Mohammed mralstoner 5 1338 October 22, 2016 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  The West's Response to Islam and violence...... Brian37 16 3136 May 18, 2016 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: dom.donald