Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:13 am

Poll: Are you Secular?
This poll is closed.
Yes
94.12%
32 94.12%
No
5.88%
2 5.88%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many of you are secular?
How many of you are secular?
To all my Brothers and sisters of faith, how many are you are secular?

Your secular if you mostly believe:
  • There should be no established state religion.
  • Everyone is equal before the law, regardless of religion, belief or non-belief.
  • The judicial process is not hindered or replaced by religious codes or processes.
  • Freedom of expression is not restricted by religious considerations.
  • Religion plays no role in state-funded education, whether through religious affiliation of schools, curriculum setting, organised worship, religious instruction, pupil selection or employment practices.
  • The state does not express religious beliefs or preferences and does not intervene in the setting of religious doctrine.
  • The state does not engage in, fund or promote religious activities or practices.
  • There is freedom of belief, non-belief and to renounce or change religion.
  • Public and publicly-funded service provision does not discriminate on grounds of religion, belief or non-belief.
  • Individuals and groups are neither accorded privilege nor disadvantaged because of their religion, belief or non-belief.
Source: http://www.secularism.org.uk/secularcharter.html
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: How many of you are secular?
There are probably some atheists who aren't secular, but I would assume most are. I could be wrong, though.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(March 13, 2014 at 2:57 pm)Chad32 Wrote: There are probably some atheists who aren't secular, but I would assume most are. I could be wrong, though.

I would agree with you there, but I am not asking Atheists.
Though feel free to add if your not and explain why.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
(March 13, 2014 at 2:46 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote:
  • There should be no established state religion.
  • Everyone is equal before the law, regardless of religion, belief or non-belief.
  • The judicial process is not hindered or replaced by religious codes or processes.
  • Freedom of expression is not restricted by religious considerations.
  • Religion plays no role in state-funded education, whether through religious affiliation of schools, curriculum setting, organised worship, religious instruction, pupil selection or employment practices.
  • The state does not express religious beliefs or preferences and does not intervene in the setting of religious doctrine.
  • The state does not engage in, fund or promote religious activities or practices.
  • There is freedom of belief, non-belief and to renounce or change religion.
  • Public and publicly-funded service provision does not discriminate on grounds of religion, belief or non-belief.
  • Individuals and groups are neither accorded privilege nor disadvantaged because of their religion, belief or non-belief.

Hell yes! Where do I sign up? Because the country we have is supposed to be this way, but is far from it.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Sorry. I notice you did say to all your brothers and sisters of faith.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(March 13, 2014 at 3:06 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Sorry. I notice you did say to all your brothers and sisters of faith.

I was primarily looking for answers from the religious, but Atheists who are not secular can answer as well.
(March 13, 2014 at 3:12 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote:
(March 13, 2014 at 3:06 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Sorry. I notice you did say to all your brothers and sisters of faith.

I was primarily looking for answers from the religious, but Atheists who are not secular can answer as well.

Try a christian forum.. this thread will be short
Do I believe that we live in this sort of society? No, I'm not retarded. Do I wish for this? Well, no shit.
I hate the bible. I love that do as thy whilst stuff.
Going by that list, yes...why yes, I am. Big Grin
Everyone, theist or atheist, should espouse the OP. Secularism is the only tried and tested way to see the best chance of equality in state craft and the political/judicial sphere.

As a member of the national secular society, I can tell you that a lot of theists are also secularists. Secularism, after all, was a Protestant invention after the 30 years war at Westphalia.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One God versus many T.J. 42 2970 December 6, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 2918 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused Delicate 382 57703 November 3, 2015 at 11:12 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Ex-Christian Secular Musicians Out There Playing Christmas Music? LivingNumbers6.626 34 6305 December 3, 2014 at 10:02 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Secular Humanism is now a "religion" Foxaèr 10 2210 November 7, 2014 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11000 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  How Many Cults? paulpablo 11 4964 July 9, 2014 at 12:05 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The Secular Bear Market In God Full Circle 7 1675 August 2, 2013 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Tonus
Tongue How many religious people obey this commandment? Big Blue Sky 20 7545 June 3, 2013 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why do so many laugh at creationists? SpecUVdust 6 3424 November 19, 2012 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: mr.atheist