Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about creationist argument
Question about creationist argument
Hello,
I am recent de-convert from Christianity (what a relief). I have been spending the last few months watching videos on evolution and the evidence for it, trying to understand as much as I can.

I have one question that I am hoping someone can shed some light on, incase I might be missing something.

I've been seeing this argument by creationists that goes something along these lines: "mutations don't increase information in the genes, therefore mutation cannot account for an increase in complexity"

First off, I don't know a whole lot about genetics. But my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) is that our genes are a code, like a string of binary computer code. Each animal just has one permutation of all the possible values that string could take on. The purpose of the genetic code is that it represents the instructions on how to build and grow an animal. A mutation is like flipping one of the bits in a string of binary numbers, which will change the instructions, and produce a slightly different animal.

Mutations, as I understand it, don't "add or decrease information", they simply change the instructions. Different instructions produce different animals, some instructions produce simple animals (bacteria) other instructions produce complex animals (tigers).

Let's say I have the instructions for baking cookies, which can be thought of in terms of code, and each word or number is a unit that could "mutate". If I "mutate" the cups of flour in the instructions from 1 cup to 100 cups, I've got a larger batch of cookies (and, arguably, a more complex batch of cookies!). I haven't "added" or "subtracted" any words to the instructions, I've simply changed them, and the result became bigger / more complex.

Anyway, my point is to say that I really don't understand this concept of "mutations adding or decreasing information", I think it might be misrepresenting what mutation actually is, but I would like to know if I am on the right track here.

Thanks!
RE: Question about creationist argument
Your cookie recipe analogy is apt. A mutation might add a step, change a step, or delete a step.

If you want to learn a lot in hurry without buying books, this is a good site to start with: Talk Origins. Here's another: http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/ev...life.shtml
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
You're essentially right, OP. The big problem with all these contentions about information is that information isn't really a thing. It's just a big, fuzzy, self important word that sounds sciency, but that the person using it has no clear idea of. How is information measured? What is a single unit of information? How much information is needed for life, and how did they determine that?

You'll never get answers to those questions, because anyone using this particular contention hasn't thought that far ahead. They might as well be making up words. In truth, information only exists in minds that are capable of discerning patterns from physical phenomena, it's not an objective material that exists in DNA or anything. When discussing mutations, what we're actually talking about is chemical reactions taking place in predictable ways, with slight variations caused by the fact that the gene replication process isn't a perfect one. Information isn't involved until one looks at the pattern and predicts what would arise from it.

This creationist argument is bullshit all the way through.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Welcome matey...
I too had similar questions and these quys whetted my appetite so I started watching and reading on the net.... Science and information won't put you off evolution one bit. Quite the contrary, it'll reinforce it.
There's plenty of evolution info on the net proving why some things can't happen. You will find that they all are sponsored by bible groups. Science belongs to its own group ...truth.
(And we all know "truth" and religion are mutually exclusive).
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
The problems in the argument come from the words "purpose", "information", and "instructions". "Purpose" and "instructions" imply deliberation, and what Esq said about "information". Creationists try to anthropomorphize it, but science has no reasoning in and of itself.

Welcome, OP Smile
Re: RE: Question about creationist argument
(July 3, 2014 at 12:34 am)TheDeafPianoTuner Wrote: Hello,
I am recent de-convert from Christianity (what a relief).

Hi. What was the major influence in your rejection of christianity if you don't mind my asking.
(July 3, 2014 at 12:34 am)TheDeafPianoTuner Wrote: Mutations, as I understand it, don't "add or decrease information", they simply change the instructions.

Spot on.

Welcome to the forum.
(July 3, 2014 at 12:34 am)TheDeafPianoTuner Wrote: I've been seeing this argument by creationists that goes something along these lines: "mutations don't increase information in the genes, therefore mutation cannot account for an increase in complexity"

Take this code: 11111111

Modify it to: 10011010

There is actually more information entropy in the second code than the first. Actually a completely random code has a greater informational entropy than a more uniform code. How you define which code is more complex is entirely up to you, just as you could have a pointless argument over whether a squirrel is more complex than a cat.

This is not the same as Heat Entropy. The word entropy is used as the formula to calculate it is similar*. This isn't unusual, most things in physics have similar fomulas. For example a driven mass on a spring uses the same mathematics as a simple radio. Information entropy doesn't follow the 2nd law of Thermodynamics. Creationists love to equate the two but they are different*.

Finally some mutations double the original DNA, resulting in a code ABDC going to ABDC ABDC so you end up with twice the DNA. This can then mutate to become something like ABDCABDB.

*If you want to study statistical mechanics then you will see more similarities and learn that the 2nd Law is actually just very very likely to happen, not definitely.
(July 3, 2014 at 12:34 am)TheDeafPianoTuner Wrote: Hello,
I am recent de-convert from Christianity (what a relief). I have been spending the last few months watching videos on evolution and the evidence for it, trying to understand as much as I can.

May I recommend:
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
Darwin's Dangerous Idea by Dan Dennett

I haven't read it yet but Endless Forms (I think that's the name) by Sean Carroll is supposed to be a great (and more recent) book on the subject.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Arguments about evolution based on "information" are primarily throwing the word "information" on top of a standard creationist argument to make it sound scientific. The argument that mutations only decrease information is basically the same old argument that mutations are always harmful, only using the word "information" to make it sound scientific. There is no process in evolution, information or otherwise, which prevents beneficial mutations (increases of information) from occurring. It's just a scientifically sounding update of an old argument.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intelligent Design Is Pseudoscience: Creationist Lies About Evolution Debunked CodeDNA 7 1017 April 22, 2023 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: no one
Video Rebuttal To Creationist Peanut Butter Argument QuackeryDetection 2 447 May 21, 2022 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Good Questions To Ask A Creationist BrianSoddingBoru4 10 1598 April 23, 2019 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Creationist finds fossils, still not convinced zebo-the-fat 16 4213 May 31, 2015 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Worom
  New creationist movie: Evolution's Achilles' Heels Dolorian 35 10700 August 28, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  A Response to Creationist on: Sahelanthropus Tchadensis Duke Guilmon 1 1403 May 3, 2014 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Refuting Creationist Claims Part II: Flood-Related Beliefs RonaldReagansGhost666 7 3692 February 26, 2013 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Refuting Creationist Claims - Part 1: Noah's Ark RonaldReagansGhost666 23 10858 February 13, 2013 at 6:27 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Creationist explanation for the fossil record? libalchris 22 11589 May 24, 2012 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: libalchris
Bug New Creationist Uprisings Anel Vadren 16 6899 January 7, 2012 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye