Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
No wonder students don't know history...
No wonder students don't know history...
neither do the politicians.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2...al_twitter

Quote:From Michele Bachmann to John Boehner: Celebrate July Fourth with Politicians Misquoting American History
RE: No wonder students don't know history...
My favorites:

1: " [Paul Revere] by ringing those bells and making sure as he’s riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be secure and we were going to be free and we were going to be armed." Sarah Palin

and

7. "In February of this year, former House Majority Leader Tom Delay helpfully reminded Americans that God 'wrote the Constitution.'”
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I've found that a lot of USians go positively apoplectic when you point out to them that the revolution was fought primarily because the colonists want to be more - not less - British.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
My fav:
"6. President Barack Obama, a true history buff, committed a small omission when he quoted from the Declaration of Independence in a 2010 speech:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that each of us are endowed with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Why are they blaming him for mis-quoting. They should be praising him for correcting!
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Far superior is the Declaration of the Rights of Man which manages to do the same thing without sprinkling any godshit into it at all.

http://www.constitution.org/fr/fr_drm.htm

Quote:The representatives of the French people, organized as a National Assembly, believing that the ignorance, neglect, or contempt of the rights of man are the sole cause of public calamities and of the corruption of governments, have determined to set forth in a solemn declaration the natural, unalienable, and sacred rights of man, in order that this declaration, being constantly before all the members of the Social body, shall remind them continually of their rights and duties; in order that the acts of the legislative power, as well as those of the executive power, may be compared at any moment with the objects and purposes of all political institutions and may thus be more respected, and, lastly, in order that the grievances of the citizens, based hereafter upon simple and incontestable principles, shall tend to the maintenance of the constitution and redound to the happiness of all.

Therefore the National Assembly recognizes and proclaims, in the presence and under the auspices of the Supreme Being, the following rights of man and of the citizen:

American cops need to have #9 pounded up their assholes these days.
American, unlike former-Great Britain was founded on excellent and morally good secular principles.

Then the religious fundamentalists took over. :c

Same story with the Middle East. It was the forerunner of human endeavor and discovery, breeding, science, mathematics, geometry, astronomy... the list went on.

Now look at it today...

*sigh*

Religion fucks everything up.
(July 4, 2014 at 8:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Far superior is the Declaration of the Rights of Man which manages to do the same thing without sprinkling any godshit into it at all.

http://www.constitution.org/fr/fr_drm.htm

Quote:[...]

Therefore the National Assembly recognizes and proclaims, in the presence and under the auspices of the Supreme Being, the following rights of man and of the citizen:

[...]

I'm not sure how closely you read your own link, but there's a turd in there, buddy.

(July 4, 2014 at 6:21 pm)Jenny A Wrote: My favorites:
7. "In February of this year, former House Majority Leader Tom Delay helpfully reminded Americans that God 'wrote the Constitution.'”
This one jumped out at me also.

The shit I learn here. I had no idea the GOP prayed to James Madison. Can we consider the Constitutional Convention evidence of polytheism?
(July 4, 2014 at 6:21 pm)Jenny A Wrote: My favorites:

1: " [Paul Revere] by ringing those bells and making sure as he’s riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be secure and we were going to be free and we were going to be armed." Sarah Palin

and

Here's one of my favorites. On the campaign trail barack obama said this,
Quote:“Over the last 15 months we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states, I think, one left to go.”

Here's another of my favorites. During a House committee meeting, democrat Rep. Hank Johnson feared this,
Quote:During a House committee meeting, Rep. Hank Johnson said he feared that stationing 8,000 Marines on Guam would cause the island to "become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize."

The things dumbass democrats say .... ROFLOL

[Image: dumber_barack.jpg]
"I’ve now been in 57 states, I think, one left to go." Hyuck, Hyuck, Hyuck!
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
(July 5, 2014 at 9:55 am)A Theist Wrote: Here's one of my favorites. On the campaign trail barack obama said this,
Quote:“Over the last 15 months we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states, I think, one left to go.”

Here's another of my favorites. During a House committee meeting, democrat Rep. Hank Johnson feared this,
Quote:During a House committee meeting, Rep. Hank Johnson said he feared that stationing 8,000 Marines on Guam would cause the island to "become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize."
/snip/
The things dumbass democrats say .... ROFLOL

Surely you can find a couple of actual misstatements by Democrats as opposed to jokes made by them. Shouldn't be hard. Republicans don't have a monopoly on uneducated politicians.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1158 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Kamala Harris makes history Foxaèr 5 498 August 21, 2020 at 10:31 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Wonder where this is now? Sitting in a trash can somewhere? A Godzilla fan 5 657 July 16, 2019 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Drich
  I Don't Know If This Is Necessary, Rod. Minimalist 2 296 September 21, 2018 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Betsy DeVos protects for-profit colleges scamming students Cecelia 2 461 May 14, 2018 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  D'uh. Tell Us Something We Don't Know Rex Minimalist 6 1536 December 12, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  I Always Wonder Minimalist 7 960 October 28, 2017 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The biggest crime in the history of humanity WinterHold 16 2744 September 22, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  History and some of the atrocities associated with it ErGingerbreadMandude 0 407 September 14, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  I Wonder If He Tried the WLB's Hotel? Minimalist 1 580 August 14, 2017 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok