Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Humans may have gone through a semi aquatic phase in evolution
Humans may have gone through a semi aquatic phase in evolution
I got to thinking how it might be nice if I had enough body hair to not need to put on sunscreen before spending the day on the lake. I also got to wondering why people seem to like water so much. Many people like to swim, even though water isn't exactly our natural element.

I looked it up, and apparently some people theorize that Humans went through a semi aquatic phase, like how whales and such don't have much hair. Also people may have selected for less hair due to having fewer parasites. It's kind of interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/19/scienc...-ways.html
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: Humans may have gone through a semi aquatic phase in evolution
Wonder if we could have had gills too. Maybe Waterworld was an accurate movie after all...
[Image: Kevin%20Costner%20gills%20waterworld.jpg]
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.
Pretty sure the Aquatic Ape Hypothesis is pretty much the Anthropological version of pseudo science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquatic_ape...#Reception
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Unfortunately, the reason that we have the kind of hair that we do (it covers just about every inch of us) has to do with the way a gene codes for keratin proteins in our species. Same reason we don't have talons or claws (though in rare cases, we suffer from a disorder called Pachyonychia Congenita-which pretty much does grow claws). We're covered in hair, you just don't notice it because of it's structure.

We are less hairy than other apes (but surprisingly more hairy here and there). The closest to us -in the hair dept as in so much else- being chimps. Our LCA apparently set this particular pattern in motion and unless they're theorizing a pre lca water ape (and where do we see this express itself in chimps, if so?) then meh.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The hypothesis has been around a while. The idea was first proposed in 1940 by by German pathologist Max Westenhöfer and then again by English marine biologist Alister Hardy in 1960. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquatic_ape_hypothesis It rung a bell for me because I read Elaine Morgan's, The Aquatic Ape, published in the popular press in 1999.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
My pet theory is that we were visited long ago by visitors.
They manipulated the genetic structure of eg: chimps to allow for the potential of greater intelligence.
Maybe they are hoping that one day we can "phone home".
Or likewise they inserted their own genetics to survive themselves in one way/shape or form.

Yes, a little silly and romantic but boy does it beat the "goddidit" proposal.
And there's no need to believe in magic.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  this may be it! Drich 64 4839 April 24, 2020 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: no one
  Lockdown Trivia, Phase II BrianSoddingBoru4 17 1042 April 17, 2020 at 6:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Debate solely through the medium of memes Jacob(smooth) 6601 740653 April 13, 2020 at 4:27 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Inovio tests new COVID-19 vaccine on humans Megabullshit 0 192 April 7, 2020 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: Megabullshit
  This may be farewell. Gawdzilla Sama 49 2112 May 7, 2019 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  A tale of American healthcare as told through one Doctor visit Figbash 14 1602 December 7, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Since I’ve been gone... J a c k 28 3146 August 19, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Cloning humans is real? ignoramus 0 396 March 26, 2018 at 2:49 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Stupid humans & risk taking Brian37 20 4091 March 25, 2018 at 11:24 am
Last Post: rskovride
  Atheism may be contributing to my social isolation Alexmahone 10 1596 March 17, 2018 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: AFTT47