Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aliens and Atheism
Lightbulb 
Aliens and Atheism
Hey everyone! I believe this is my 2nd thread, 1st aside from my intro. My fiance just got home from work and I introduced the term "Metatheist" to him. We sat here for 10 minutes and thought if that actually defined us...we came to the conclusion of no, we are atheists..through and through but we also started wondering about something else..

We both believe in the possibility that there could be another life form somewhere. It is rather ignorant to think otherwise, in my opinion. Anyways, as we are talking about this...we also thought, IF there is another life form out there, somewhere, is it an intelligent life form that is far more advanced than ours?

The reason I am posting this in the atheist thread is simply because we are both curious to know...if we believe in the possibility of there being an intelligent, or any kind, of life form within the stars...does that make us agnostic atheists, or still just the common atheist?
[Image: 5b0a445e-5b98-4e5f-a677-21a1fcbf1b9f_zps2afe46c5.jpg]
RE: Aliens and Atheism
Atheism only has to do with god claims. I think rationalizing that there is the possibility for life in another part of the universe is just fine and dandy; it's when you assert that there must be extraterrestrial life that you would have to submit evidence to support this extraordinary claim. That being said, you would still, by definition, be an atheist.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
Well I don't think believing in the possibility of aliens has any bearing on whether you're agnostic atheist or gnostic atheist.

Also, I'd say aliens are a lot more likely than god.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
UFO's are irrelevant to belief in god unless you think the the UFO's landed and were believed to be god. Even than it's tangential.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(July 11, 2014 at 12:30 am)Jenny A Wrote: UFO's are irrelevant to belief in god unless you think the the UFO's landed and were believed to be god. Even than it's tangential.

That is similar to what my fiance believes. He somewhat believes that due to old egyptian paintings and caveman "art" derive from the possibility of an extraterrestrial being visiting the earth to assist, or bump, humanity in to technology. Due to this, he thinks that this may be why a "god" or "gods" were thought to have existed.
Atheism has nothing to do with aliens unless those aliens are suppose to be God(s).

I also share you belief that the likelihood of other intelligent life is really high. Especially since we found earth size planets in the habital zone in other galaxies. http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sci...irstearth/
(July 11, 2014 at 12:41 am)Surgenator Wrote: Atheism has nothing to do with aliens unless those aliens are suppose to be God(s).

I also share you belief that the likelihood of other intelligent life is really high. Especially since we found earth size planets in the habital zone in other galaxies. http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sci...irstearth/

I am glad someone shares the same views when it comes to this subject.

I was just curious. Smile
The Fermi Paradox springs to mind (where are they?) and since Fermi first posed it, our telescopes have greatly improved and we still see no 'astroengineering' efforts, The Planetary Society is (has?) sponsoring searches of considerable amounts of radio spectrum and has found nothing. No artifact on earth has ever been found of extraterrestrial origin (isotopic analysis could determine that) and there seems to be no credible evidence of recent close encounters of the third kind.

As for ancient contact reports, even for a civilization 'greatly' more advanced than us, it is anticipated that interstellar flight will remain difficult and/or lengthy. So, for 'someone' to have gone to the effort to visit earth, for example, 3000 years ago, it is curious they didn't stick around to see how things turned out, or more likely, that they didn't stick around and colonize earth.
I also believe that intelligent life is so rare that even if there was other life, they themselves may not find the others. Warp drive or not.

In my sick mind, we are the travellers from afar who inhabited this planet in our lonely travels. And in several thousand years we'll piss off again to find another.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I hope there are aliens.. Hot one's like them green chicks from star trek

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2554 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Are humans half aliens? Human DNA question Signa92 14 1886 December 30, 2018 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  Hardcore believers act like aliens from different planet purplepurpose 21 4927 December 15, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 26872 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12002 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Aliens (extra-terrestrials)? rado84 61 8116 July 15, 2015 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12379 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 11971 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10392 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Religion, Atheism, and Deism -and the middle ground. Mystic 6 3290 March 9, 2014 at 2:41 am
Last Post: rsb