Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with Religious Friends
Dealing with Religious Friends
So to all my atheist (or humanist or agnostic or no religion or whatever no god belief) how do you deal with or do you have staunch religious friends?

One of my best friends is hard core catholic (french catholic which if anybody here is from Manitoba or Quebec will understand). We grew up together and are like 2nd/3rd cousins (yeah he knows as one of them and again french catholics will understand how we know that, family is above all except "sky man").

At one point way back this guy, another agnostic (doesn't care about religion/god at all) friend and I were hanging out and we (agnostic friend and I) brought up creationist ridiculousness of 4000 year old earth to him and we asked him if he believed. Knowing our attitudes he refused to respond. We realized quickly that he actually believed that nonsense and stopped making fun of him for it as he was our friend.

Since then we've talked a bit about religion but he doesn't like bringing it up since neither of us can see eye to eye about anything in terms of that topic (although we agree on awesomeness of Canadian Football League, National Hockey League and hot women though not necessarily in that order haha).

Basically we skirt the issue to maintain friendship. So my question is how do you all deal with hardcore bible (or quran or whatever) thumpers that you grew up with or are friends with?
“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.”

― Mark Twain
RE: Dealing with Religious Friends
(July 12, 2014 at 7:42 am)Holden Caulfield Wrote: So to all my atheist (or humanist or agnostic or no religion or whatever no god belief) how do you deal with or do you have staunch religious friends?

One of my best friends is hard core catholic (french catholic which if anybody here is from Manitoba or Quebec will understand). We grew up together and are like 2nd/3rd cousins (yeah he knows as one of them and again french catholics will understand how we know that, family is above all except "sky man").

At one point way back this guy, another agnostic (doesn't care about religion/god at all) friend and I were hanging out and we (agnostic friend and I) brought up creationist ridiculousness of 4000 year old earth to him and we asked him if he believed. Knowing our attitudes he refused to respond. We realized quickly that he actually believed that nonsense and stopped making fun of him for it as he was our friend.

Since then we've talked a bit about religion but he doesn't like bringing it up since neither of us can see eye to eye about anything in terms of that topic (although we agree on awesomeness of Canadian Football League, National Hockey League and hot women though not necessarily in that order haha).

Basically we skirt the issue to maintain friendship. So my question is how do you all deal with hardcore bible (or quran or whatever) thumpers that you grew up with or are friends with?

I don't have any hardcore religious friends, I suspect any of my friends can be considered legitimately religious, even those who claim to be Christian are closer to the definition of Deism with Christian influences... My advice is to keep religion out of the topic, religious hardcore nuts will get furious if you start contesting their beliefs and even worse if you ridicule them...
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 12, 2014 at 8:03 am)Blackout Wrote: I don't have any hardcore religious friends, I suspect any of my friends can be considered legitimately religious, even those who claim to be Christian are closer to the definition of Deism with Christian influences... My advice is to keep religion out of the topic, religious hardcore nuts will get furious if you start contesting their beliefs and even worse if you ridicule them...

Yeah I agree I don't bring it up anymore. For reasons completely unrelated to religion we are on frosty (along with most of my "main" friend group) at best terms right now. That's not the issue. I'm not too concerned with my friendship with said individual right now.

I was just curious on how other atheists, particularly strong atheists that are on this site, deal with staunch religious friends. Want to see how others deal with this. Not looking for advice. Thanks though (no sarcasm).
“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.”

― Mark Twain
(July 12, 2014 at 8:09 am)Holden Caulfield Wrote:
(July 12, 2014 at 8:03 am)Blackout Wrote: I don't have any hardcore religious friends, I suspect any of my friends can be considered legitimately religious, even those who claim to be Christian are closer to the definition of Deism with Christian influences... My advice is to keep religion out of the topic, religious hardcore nuts will get furious if you start contesting their beliefs and even worse if you ridicule them...

Yeah I agree I don't bring it up anymore. For reasons completely unrelated to religion we are on frosty (along with most of my "main" friend group) at best terms right now. That's not the issue. I'm not too concerned with my friendship with said individual right now.

I was just curious on how other atheists, particularly strong atheists that are on this site, deal with staunch religious friends. Want to see how others deal with this. Not looking for advice. Thanks though (no sarcasm).

Well if we are talking about strong friendship bonds that won't fade by a debate about religion or god with diverging positions, then I guess atheists, specially gnostic atheists don't have a problem making their religious friends see that god and religion are bullshit... Of course most of us won't bring the topic unless a religious friend starts it, like saying 'Why don't you believe in god? god is real!'
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I have a really close friend who is Jewish. We celebrated Hanukkah at my house with her last November. It was so much fun. Friends are friends regardless of religious affiliations. You don't have to agree with your friends on everything, you just focus on the things you have in common.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(July 12, 2014 at 8:36 am)Losty Wrote: I have a really close friend who is Jewish. We celebrated Hanukkah at my house with her last November. It was so much fun. Friends are friends regardless of religious affiliations. You don't have to agree with your friends on everything, you just focus on the things you have in common.

Yes, people should think more about what they have in common rather what they don't have in common... And things people have in common are usually prevalent, even if some close minded people don't realize it.

If I've had any religious friends I haven't known about it. Its just rarely relevant.
Any of my religious friends do things they know they shouldn't. They inform me of these things and KNOW that it only gives me fuel to use against their religious bullshit. So, they avoid their religious babble with meSmile

My older sister on the other hand, we argue and debate alllllll the time.
[Image: 5b0a445e-5b98-4e5f-a677-21a1fcbf1b9f_zps2afe46c5.jpg]
One of my best friends was a born-again Christian. We had no problem being friends despite our different views; we agreed that if we talked about it we'd do so in non-insulting terms, from both sides. And there were times we had some good conversations, and times where one or the other of us wasn't feeling it.

Another friend of mine converted when I was seventeen, and gave me the "believe or we can't be freinds" trip. So I told him to hammer sand up his ass, we didn't talk for years, but after some fence-mending maintained an off-and-on relationship -- until he physically attacked me once for deriding the idea of god(s). That was that, and I haven't spoken to him since.

Maybe instead of approaching from the atheist/agnostic side with your friend, explore his religiosity from the side of 100% strict Literalism.

Why does he eat shrimp and wear mixed fabric clothing? Why are gays condemned in Leviticus and his church supports that ?

See the problem (if it applies to his faith, otherwise find other examples) he has there? Somebody in HIS church knows better than God which rules apply and which ones don't. If his church is 'liberal' about remarriage following divorce and/or granting annulments, then why does his church know better than Jesus ??

Look for areas of belief and obedience to God where his faith is screwing up, and make him defend it. And if he goes there, then HE knows better than God and/or Jesus, and what does he think of that? How can a 'Christian' know better than Jesus about ANYTHING ??

Understand the risk, you might inadvertently convert him into a unreasoning Literalist, but frequently, I think most people will realize their church doesn't have much to do with God, rather it has a lot to do with the insincere bastards running it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Christian friends SeniorCitizen 12 913 November 21, 2023 at 11:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Questions for your Religious friends. johndoe122931 100 5292 June 5, 2021 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2642 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  Responsibility transfer for atheists - dealing with uncertainty Catma 14 3922 November 28, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: Catma
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7034 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Atheists: Can You Still Accept X'n Friends? Detachable 76 10916 August 12, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Jesster
  FB and Twitter/insta friends atheistinNYC 3 1044 November 30, 2015 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5392 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Arguing w/ Religious Friends z7z 14 3420 June 5, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12767 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus