Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists: Can You Still Accept X'n Friends?
Atheists: Can You Still Accept X'n Friends?
Though I guess not everyone here is an atheist, I am. I'm finding it harder and harder to remain friends with believers.
This question is directed at other atheists. So, if you reply, please state first whether or not you are an atheist. If an atheist, please also state if you are a Type 1 or Type 2 atheist, as defined below. :-)
Question:
As an atheist, do you find you are still able to be friends with believers?
What I've found is that there are 2 basic types of atheists:
1) Simply don't believe in god, but don't mind if others do
2) Don't believe in god because they think it's a dangerous fairytale

I am in the second group. My hunch is that people in the first group can still be friends with believers. 
So, more specifically: If you are a 'Type 2 atheist,' are you still able to be friends with believers? If so, doesn't it cause significant 'cognitive dissonance' (mental confusion/stress)?
Thx, D
RE: Atheists: Can You Still Accept X'n Friends?
As long as they don't preach their beliefs to me, respect mine and aren't cunts, I can accept anyone as a friend.
For me it depends. If all they wanted to talk about was Christianity then no. And it depends on my mood as well... sometimes I'm more anti-theist than others. But generally no because we'd have very little in common and think in very different ways.
Yes
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Even I have a good xtian friend. We simply talk about other things.
(July 11, 2016 at 2:27 am)Minimalist Wrote: Even I have a good xtian friend.   We simply talk about other things.

^^This^^
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(July 11, 2016 at 1:58 am)Bella Morte Wrote: As long as they don't preach their beliefs to me, respect mine and aren't cunts, I can accept anyone as a friend.

This is how I feel too.

I'm an atheist and I think religious ideas are very dangerous, but I don't hold that against any individual.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 11, 2016 at 1:58 am)Bella Morte Wrote: As long as they don't preach their beliefs to me, respect mine and aren't cunts, I can accept anyone as a friend.

Same. It just so happens that atheist friends seem to be usually more fun in my experience.

I have religious friends and in theory I can have close religious friends too... I just don't in practice it seems.
I don't have many close friends, and it so happens none of them are religious. I haven't rejected anyone's friendship on the basis of them being religious, though.

I did once date a Christian and it worked out very badly. She made it an issue, but it was also far from the only problem we had. It wouldn't have worked anyway.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Of course I can. Most of my friends are believers of one sort or another.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Christian friends SeniorCitizen 12 912 November 21, 2023 at 11:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How much pain can atheists withstand ? The End of Atheism 290 15724 May 13, 2023 at 4:22 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1457 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Questions for your Religious friends. johndoe122931 100 5287 June 5, 2021 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 30193 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2642 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? Dragonfly 222 27557 December 18, 2018 at 1:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11353 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2197 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5532 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik