Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stay or Go?
Stay or Go?
So I've spent the last 4 years here in Clearwater, FL. It's sunny, cheap to live in, and overall isn't a terrible place to live. I've been trying effortlessly to find another job (I am still currently employed just not happy with my current job) and have come up dry.

All the while, I've really been reflecting on why I'm still here in FL. I have no new (real) friends and only have my father as family (who I don't get along with very well in the first place).

Connecticut is cold, expensive and overall pretty boring... But I really have been missing my friends a lot. I was sort of banking that they would escape CT as I did, but alas they had purchased houses instead. I fear that if I decide to stay in Florida, that eventually my friends will just sort of "fade away".

So I've really just been considering to say the hell with it and deal with the down falls of CT... be back home where it's cold and boring, but at least I'll be able to hang out with my pals. It's not like I can't come back if they do indeed just disappear and I have nothing left to hold me home.

Anyone else experience the same issues?
RE: Stay or Go?
I moved out to here to Southern California nine years ago from what was basically my hometown, and I've had the opposite experience. Have you thought about going somewhere completely different? I'm still fairly close with my friends from back home, but the bonus is that, here, I've made some of the best friends of my life, I love it here in my little paradise, and there's no way in boring-ass-heaven I'd move back to gloomy, freezing Syracuse.
So...I take it joining the church of Ron is out of the question? Clearwater, idk......I left the bay awhile back - it's just such a gorgeous place...I miss it. Whats in Conn. though? If I had to choose between the two, all other things being equal, I'd stay in Clearwater. There's always room at the docks, if you like to fish.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Come to Colorado! Summers aren't sticky hot and while the winters are cold (avg. daytime temp of 50 in January Smile ) the sun shines on average 302 days/year.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I lived in Belleair, FL, which is also kind of mid-Pinellas, and I hated it! This was early 90's. I've mentioned it before, but since this thread is up, I'll ramble. I was surrounded by conformist, Baptist suburbanites. It was muggy and hot a lot of the time, whereas I like cool, even bleak. I might do well in a less rainy part of the PNW, I dunno. I do find it pretty up there.

But alas, I am living in my native San Diego now, which is overall a fine city, but I don't think I ever got homesick for it when I left it in '91 (except for a radio station).

I have also lived in North Carolina, which was an interesting experience. It was high in the mountains, right near the SC and GA borders. Nice cool weather. Snow, but not a whole lot at all. But it was rural. And there was a lot of that mentality. It made me wonder about the Carolina metro areas, such as The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Cary/Chapel Hill), The Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point), and Charlotte. Obviously none would be teeming with atheists and/or lefties, but each would be big enough for some such presence, plus some cultural amenities.

But, I don't know. Maybe it's an area to look at?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Oh noes! The shitty baptist end of town? You gotta go down to TI and Paradise Island, S. Pasadena, the land of backsliding non-practicing catholics. Park Boulevard ftw!
(remember, if you hit Dirtport you've gone too far)

:bass drone: St.....Godamned Pete.......... :bass drone:

(Noticed so many in the bay area recently.....how many where there in the 80's and early 90's? -obvs other than you c172- sounds so different now, mid 90's rocked too. Marilyn Manson at The Pass every saturday for about a year - before it was a "thing", so many good shows at Janus Landing.....Boomsday! The Power Pig....cmon.....)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yeah, I barely ever hung out in CLW itself, except to go to the UU church, because I was a UU at the time. But as I remember, that was a huge hotbed of either CS or Scientologists (I think the latter). I never ran into any.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Hehehe, they're all over the place now, in their fucking khakis, standing on street corners taking notes on all the humans. It was scientologists. The CS were over towards Tyrone Sq. Park. I lived off Central and Park from '87 to 2001. Then I "moved" overseas.
I lived in St. Pete for awhile. St. Pete isn't so bad at all... I'm not looking to increase the temperature though LOL. I'd say 25F less average would make me happier haha
Yeah, it is definitely hot. When people complain about heat....growing up partly in Tha 'Burg, I can't take them seriously. If it isn't 101f with 99% humidity at 3am...it ain't hot...it's just uncomfortably stuffy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are parents allowed to stay with little kids if infected with covid 19 ? Megabullshit 30 1768 April 3, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Couldn't stay away. Foxaèr 2 269 January 31, 2019 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Those who chose to stay.... Joods 6 436 September 14, 2018 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Time To Stay Indoors, Asshole Minimalist 6 873 April 23, 2018 at 12:40 am
Last Post: Joods
  Now do you understand why I said STAY AWAY! brewer 12 1534 June 15, 2016 at 8:46 am
Last Post: brewer
  Back after a stay in a US mental hospital. bladevalant546 36 4629 September 30, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Aractus